General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon to just Running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-24 3:39 PM

Subject: Triathlon to just Running

This summer I was in the best running shape of my life.  My training consisted of about 6-8 miles of swimming per week, 6-8 hours a week on the bike, and anywhere between 50 and 70 miles a week running.  On top of that I spent about 3 days a week wight training in the gym.

When I got to school for the start of the cross country season, my focus became solely running.  My running since has suffered severely.  My times have become significantly slower, and going out for a 4 mile "jog" has become difficult.

My legs have lost definition and strength and it is very noticeable.  My stride is gone, and it is diffciult to move my legs when I run.

As I have in the past, I was expecting to lose fitness switching from triathlon to solely running, but it has never been like this.

I have done some research and think that these issues may be due to quads that overpower the hamstrings, but then again I'm no expert.

Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2011-11-24 8:32 PM
in reply to: #3914269

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
Subject: RE: Triathlon to just Running
I have no idea what it could be, but I'll bump you to the top because I wanna hear what others have to say.
2011-11-24 8:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
Did you take any time off between summer training and xc?  You sound burnt out to a certain degree...just a thought.  How old are you?  How long have you been running and swim/bike, etc.  
2011-11-24 9:53 PM

Expert
Something doesn't make sense. Your running mileage was between 50 and 70 per week, and you were probably putting in 25 to 30 hours of total training per week. Is this less or more than you had done before? Also, what sort of leg workouts have you been doing in the gym, and have you gained any significant weight?

What's your age?
2011-11-24 11:19 PM

Master

That's indeed 'pro-caliber' training if you're not BSing and actually doing that much training. Well over 20 hours per week. 

I'm curious to see what your current training regimen as a pure runner is, if you were indeed running 70-80mpw as a triathlete (which is more than most pros run per week in training.)

2011-11-25 6:29 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

If that training load is on the level, then guessing burnout and/or overtraining. That's a long season of training with what sounds like little or no down time. Wondering if your legs losing defintion and strength could be due to weight loss (breaking down muscle), possibly from inadequate nutrition for the volume of training you were doing. The dramatic loss of energy would also make me wonder about anemia, mono, or other medical issues. A healthy young person with a great training base shouldn't be feeling that awful! Or are there other stresses in your life that are sapping your energy? That volume of training and running ought to make you a strong runner with a great base. At most, when switching to run-only training, there might be an adaptation period where you get used to doing more focused tempo and speedwork. But the issues shouldn't be that dramatic. I would look at general health, nutrition, recovery, and the need for a break!

2011-11-25 6:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas

You need to provide more info. How old are you, how long have you kept that level of training. Do you have any other symptoms, sleep quality, appetite, weight trends.. How long has this degradation in performance been going on....

First signs of overreaching are loss of performance. Overtraining escalates from there. 

2011-11-25 7:16 AM

Veteran
With all the training you did and now doing a 4 mile run is difficult it sounds like the classic symptons of overtraining/burnout. It sounds like you need some serious downtown if everything about you physically is o.k. See a doc to make sure.
2011-11-25 11:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
See a doc... if you can't even run 4 miles now you should rule out something hormonal, anemia etc.
2011-11-25 8:09 PM

While I also wonder about those numbers, it could just be that instead of mixing up training, the OP is now trying to run every day, and that repeated strain is a big factor in the burnout. (Also, you'd think coaches would be noticing this and adjusting accordingly).
2011-11-25 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3915154

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas

ABuckAMile - 2011-11-25 8:09 PM While I also wonder about those numbers, it could just be that instead of mixing up training, the OP is now trying to run every day, and that repeated strain is a big factor in the burnout. (Also, you'd think coaches would be noticing this and adjusting accordingly).

I came across a staggering statistical info some time back, 90% of high school or college xcountry and track runners end up injured at some point. Cannot remember where I found that, but sure will never forget. It just tells you how oblivious some of those coaches are. 70-100mi/week at that level is quite normal, but just kills them at one point or another. Much like in parts of swimming community where you have select programs around the country drive their swimmers at 90k/week over and over, give them a little pre race rest, cross their fingers, hoping that the fittest will come back from a hole and they call it a taper.

Unfortunately, our OP is from that school and nobody told him that 70mi a week of running with a triathlon program is not an option.  

2011-11-26 1:48 AM
in reply to: #3915160

User image

Champion
atasic - 2011-11-25 7:18 PM

ABuckAMile - 2011-11-25 8:09 PM While I also wonder about those numbers, it could just be that instead of mixing up training, the OP is now trying to run every day, and that repeated strain is a big factor in the burnout. (Also, you'd think coaches would be noticing this and adjusting accordingly).

I came across a staggering statistical info some time back, 90% of high school or college xcountry and track runners end up injured at some point. Cannot remember where I found that, but sure will never forget. It just tells you how oblivious some of those coaches are. 70-100mi/week at that level is quite normal, but just kills them at one point or another. Much like in parts of swimming community where you have select programs around the country drive their swimmers at 90k/week over and over, give them a little pre race rest, cross their fingers, hoping that the fittest will come back from a hole and they call it a taper.

Unfortunately, our OP is from that school and nobody told him that 70mi a week of running with a triathlon program is not an option.  

Agreed here. As much as it kills me to see/say this to a lot of kids, if you really want to be to best you can be, its not always about logging the miles/workouts in high school. As a high school coach I walk a fine line between getting the most out of the kids during the season and still keeping them healthy for the college teams to come (in my sport most are done after that).
It's very sad the amount of them that never make it past high school and are done/injured/burned out at that point.

Not saying this is what is going on with the OP, but something to think about. Just because you can/others do that mileage, does not make it right for you yet. We dont know the whole story though so this may/may not have any bearing on you.
2011-11-26 10:35 AM

Thanks for your advice everyone.

Burnout has definitely crossed my mind.

But to answer a few of your questions... I'm 19 years old. My tri training lasted about 3 months. I did not lose much weight, if any. My diet became more limited when I went off to school. I was expecting 70 mpw to be even easier if I could do it on top of swimming and biking, but it wasn't the case.

My weight training consisted of mainly squats, hamstring curls, and calf raises..with a light upper body routine as well.

As soon as I got to school, things began to go down hill and the season just was ugly.

IF burnout or illness is not the case, I was thinking of hopping back on the bike again and see how that works out.

2011-11-26 11:05 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-11-26 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3915467

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe
knightrun11 - 2011-11-26 10:35 AM

IF burnout or illness is not the case, I was thinking of hopping back on the bike again and see how that works out.

It's one or the other....at 19 you were working out harder than a lot of pros (my guess is without the base they have obtained over the years)

2011-11-26 11:34 AM

Master
Houston

I am not a fitness expert, but let me take an angle that hasn't come up yet, just to get the room thinking.

Since you are back in school at 19 sounds like you might have just started college, or gone back for your sophmore year.  College has been known to be too stresfull, or too relaxing.

Are you getting enough sleep?  Are you staying up all night studying?  Are you staying up all night partying?

Inotherwords, what else is different in your life OTHER than the number of workouts you are doing.

2011-11-26 3:44 PM

As for my lifestyle, its been quite an adjustment so I have really tried to focus on things like healthy diet and sleep.

I am definitely considering getting some blood work done by the doctors at school.  I feel fine though doing everything but running.

It has been weird though because one day I felt amazing and was keeping up with the best guys on the team during 1k repeats.  Then the next day I feel terrible again (other than the fact that I just had a workout the day before).

The only thing I would say I did differently are hamstring push ups using an exercise ball the day before that workout.  After doing these exercises it seemed I had all my leg power back and turnover again.  Which is my reasoning toward having weak hamstrings.  I have been reading articles on how the quads can overpower the hamstrings in runners, and are finding them somewhat relevant.

Now when I am running it is difficult to bring my knees up as my foot wants to hit the ground right away, and bringing my heel up to stride again is very difficult.  Is there anyway it could be some mechanical issue?

Thanks again for all your advice.  I really appreciate it. 

2011-11-26 4:34 PM

Expert
From your weekly mileage, and new affinity to triathlon, I take it that you are not a sprinter. Why are you doing those type of leg workouts? When I was doing serious lifting, it would take two days after a leg workout to get a good run in, and that was never more than five miles. Muscle building weight lifting activities require rest after the activity. You may not be recovering. I now skip the squats and calf raises, and do high reps/low weight of leg curls, and knee extensions.

2011-11-26 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3915693

I agree with your reasoning although this routine has treated me well for quite some time.  I found that the squats done nothing but helped my leg endurance, and my hill running ability had improved dramatically.

Are there negatives sides to this type of lifitng?

2011-11-26 5:36 PM

Expert
For me it's an increase in cramps.
2011-11-27 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3915160

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
atasic - 2011-11-25 8:18 PM

I came across a staggering statistical info some time back, 90% of high school or college xcountry and track runners end up injured at some point. 

Yep...HS XC has the highest injury rate of all HS sports.  Keeping my runners healthy is the most important thing to me as a HS coach.  

Make sure you get your iron count checked out.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon to just Running Rss Feed