Shasta Regional Medical Center
48F / 9C
Precipitation
Total Time = 52m 59s
Overall Rank = 358/1030
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 23/50
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early and had my usual breakfast drink. Then had a banana and some water. Suited up and headed over to the race start.
Event warmup:

Jogged about 1/4 mile along the race route and got back to the start about 5 minutes before start time. Found my wife and gave her a kiss then moved a little closer to the front.
Run
  • 52m 59s
  • 6 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I started too far back for a race this size. I was hoping for 9 minute per mile average and being so far back at the start cost me a lot of time working through the crowd as we ran. My first mile was at 10:30 pace. By mile 2 the crowd was thinning but there were still quite a few slower runners (many walking by then) to weave through. I reached mile 2 at 19:55. My pace was now down to under 10 minutes per mile but still well above my hoped for 9 minute pace. After mile 3 most of the hills were behind me so I picked up the pace a little more. I reached mile 4 at 36:30, still behind my hoped for pace but closing in on it. At mile 5 I was right on 45 minutes. I had caught back up to where I'd hoped to be. Now was the time to push for a bit more. With less that 1/4 mile to go I was running hard and passing other runners left and right. I finished in 52:59! Well below my goal time of 54:00.

Having come from a couch to 5k program early this year I am very happy with my results.
What would you do differently?:

Move closer to the front for the start so as not to get caught up in the press of slower runners.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the parking lot and grabbed a cup of water from the Fleet Feet folks. Jogged to my parents house and picked up my daughter to bring her back to the finish line and help me cheer for my wife and father-in-law as they finished. Eventually grabbed an orange slice and more water while walking around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting caught in the traffic at the start.

Last updated: 2011-11-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:52:59 | 06 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/50
Overall: 358/1030
Performance: Good
Course: The majority of the race is along the Sacramento river trail which is a fantastic multi use trail system running along both sides of the river for several miles in Redding. The first 1/3 to 1/2 mile is on a road through the Lake Redding Park and a parking lot before the route moves onto the river trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes