United States
37F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 17m 31s
Overall Rank = 2/371
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Got there about 50 min before the race and got signed up, saw a few family friends and tried to keep warm
Event warmup:

Got in around 3 miles total, some easy running and then a few 2min sets around tempo pace and a few strides, all spread over the 30-40 min before the race. felt good at the start
Run
  • 17m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first race of any sort since the middle of march, and only about the 20th run over 5 min i've done since then. I hurt my foot after a series of races and have not been able to train at all until the last few weeks so going into this i really had no goals other than to run hard and hopefully go under 18:30.
The run started off and myself and the eventual winner slowly moved out in front. The pace was fairly slow the first half mile but i was content to let him dictate this (i normally am a faster starter for 5k, but without the training in my legs i really didn't want to push it yet. around 800m in we started pulling away from the rest of hte field, and started running shoulder to shoulder. around 1.5mi he put in a quick move and gained 30-40 feet on me and then settled back down. it took until mile 2 to pull him back in. We went through 2mi right on 11:15 and 11:17. somewhere around 2.5 he put in another move and gained 50-60 feet pretty easily and i had no way of catching back up. Coming around the last corner I saw the clock and was shocked to see a 17 up front.

What would you do differently?:

All in all I was extremely pleased with the run. I've got maybe 80-95mi total in my legs in the past 6 months, and was not wildly far off my last 5k (back in jan) I ran as hard as I could, but didn't have any extra gear to kick it up when he moved (i know this will come back with training).

I'm happy to be that close to my old times right now considering the lack of training and weight gain. Now back to it!
Post race
Warm down:

easy 2 mi total.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training and 10 pound weight gain!

Event comments:

Was a great first race, and it was even more fun to get to race it and win the team division with my dad and youngest brother
Dad ran a 23:xx and my little brother went 20;43.
TEAM BISCUIT HEADS!!

Last updated: 2011-11-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:31 | 03.11 miles | 05m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/371
Performance: Good
Course: Course was fairly flat with a few shallow longer false flats and two smaller hills. lot of turns
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?