General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Distance Classic Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Subaru Distance Classic Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Jacksonville, Florida
United States
1st Place Sports
Total Time = 1h 48m 27s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = W25-29
Age Group Rank = 21/164
Pre-race routine:

Jacksonville is a 2 and a half hour drive for us, the race started at 7am, and we still had to pick up our race packets, so me and Joel woke up at 2 am after a few hour's sleep, and left Hinesville at 3 am. Arrived around 5:45 am and picked up our race packets and hung around, visited the porta potties twice, and waited for the race to start
Event warmup:

Stretching
Run
  • 1h 48m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

knew that in order to even have a chance at sub 1:50, I had to be well into mile 7 at the one hour mark. There was a timing mat at the 10k point. My time for the from 10k was 50:34, which is a 10k PR for me (so now I have to find a 10k to do after the marathon next month to see if I can go sub 50 in a 10k). I reached the 7-mile point in 57 minutes and so change, and at this point I knew sub 1:50 was possible, but still not definite. Mile 8 things started to hurt, I had been maintaining a 7:58-8:20 pace the whole race thus far, and it was starting to wear on me, my quads were aching from me pushing them to work so hard. Mile 9 I took my second gel (first one was at mile 5) and still maintaining this pace was menacing, I told my body to hold on just a little while longer, we'll stop soon. Mile 10 my Garmin said 1:21 and some change and I was starting to get worried and a little upset. I had been pushing so hard up to this point, and my pace had fallen a little, at this point I had a 50/50 shot a achieving my goal.

Mile 11 I was hurting, quads, calves, just revolting at me for forcing them to push so hard for this amount of time. All I could do was stare at the ground and keep moving, and not give in to my body's desire to slow down. Right after mile 12 my Garmin revealed 1:42 and some change and the panic started setting in, I was in so much pain from pushing I didn't think my body would be able to get to the finish line before the clock would strike 1:50. I was in agony, this time not from an injury, but from pushing myself to a run pace I have never sustained for this long a period of time before. Once again I stared at the ground and told myself I am stronger than this, and no matter how much it hurts I can handle any pace for 1 mile. My Gramin was .10 of a mile ahead of how the course was marked, so I had to account for that as well.

Got to mile 13 on my Garmin, but with the way the course was mark, I still had .20 to get to the timing mat at the finish line, which is what matters. It doesn't matter what my Garmin says, what matters is what my time is on the official results. At at mile 13 I was at 1:47 and some change, and I knew I would make it, but I was in agony getting there because all I wanted to do was stop, but had to run just a little longer in order to do so. Finally, the final turn to the finisher's chute came to view and all of a sudden the girl directly behind me wanted to sprint to the finish. Since I had red-linned and maxed myself out the entire race I had no sprint left in me, I felt as if I had practically sprinted the whole race as it was. I let her go, and crossed the finish line in 1:48:27. I did it!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Put compression sleeves on and drove 2 and a half hours home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

fun fitness

Event comments:

1st place sports puts on great events

Last updated: 2011-09-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:48:27 | 13.1 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/164
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Flat and shaded
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-11-25 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Subject: Subaru Distance Classic Half Marathon

2011-12-02 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3914820

User image

Extreme Veteran
St Johns, Florida
Subject: RE: Subaru Distance Classic Half Marathon
Great Race! Super effort & good race report Jillian. I probably handed you water at mile 3 & mile 8, with my daughter's  cross country team. I have been hobbled by PF so I couldn't race this one. I will be racing the Jacksonville Bank Marathon. Will you be coming down for it ?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Distance Classic Half Marathon Rss Feed