oceanside, California
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 45m 23s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

I only got to the event with about 15 minutes to spare, and still had to register, so I really didn't get any time to warm up. By the time I was finished with registeration, I had to head to the corrals to line up, so tried to do a few quick stretches without hitting too many people.
Run
  • 45m 23s
  • 5 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall a very enjoyable run. I had never run any distance in a race longer than 5k, so the extra couple of miles was definetly a challenge. While I have run 5+ mile before during training, it's amazing how much of a "break" you get when jogging in place while waiting for the cross walk. The first 3 miles weren't so bad, but I slowed down significantly during mile 4, and the group of people I was using to help pace myself took off. I was able to pick up the pace during mile 5, but it took a lot of mental focus to keep me going.
What would you do differently?:

Considering my current fitness level, I think I did pretty well. I now know that I have a long way to go before I'll be ready for a half-marathon, since this race was really tough.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed snacks and water, walked around briefly, gave my hubby a hug and then sat down. I was really exhausted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I recently started running again after taking a 2-month hiatis, so I wanted to take things easy, and make sure that I don't sprain anything or tire myself out too quickly. I decided that this was a race about stamina, rather then speed. Once I get more comfortable with even longer distances, that I'll be able to pick up the speed a bit more. I had estimated for a just under 10 minute mile as my goal, and was plesantly surprised with I hit just over a 9 minute mile.

Event comments:

Lot of fun at this race. Very well organized. Will definetly run again next year.

Last updated: 2011-11-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:23 | 05 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: The course was set through scenic downtown Oceanside, and along the beach. The course was mostly flat or downhill, with the exception of one rather short but nasty uphill to the pier.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes