General Discussion Triathlon Talk » gluten free training nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-26 6:39 PM

Veteran
NC
Subject: gluten free training nutrition

Hi all,

I know there are a lot of threads on general gluten free topics, but I am curious as to what you all eat while on long bikes / longer runs. 

Background:  I've not historically been gluten free, but am looking into it.  I'm looking to ramp up biking / running for long course next season and am struggling with good nutrition solutions during longer training sessions.  I've seen from other posts that there are some fancy gluten free options like lara bars, gu, etc.  But, I'm a cheapskate.  To put it in perspective, my food of choice on the bike is poptarts...maybe graham crackers if I tire of poptarts.   Fit right in the bento box, 200 calories per square, not rocket science. 

So, help me out, folks.  I'm looking for relatively portable, high carb, lower fat, lower fiber simple carbs to munch on the bike.  Any thoughts?   

2011-11-28 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3915788

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: gluten free training nutrition

I wouldn't categorize gels as "fancy" nor "expensive" - they are incredibly efficient/portable and fairly inexpensive way to get in nutrition. I would think Pop Tarts and crackers would be a huge mess, but that's just me. Subscribe to email lists for gel/nutrition companies; they are always sending out special offers; GU had one a few weeks ago for 40% off.

Most of the nutrition products like Clif, GU, Hammer - are all gluten free. Shot Bloks are very easy to carry and calculate calories on the fly. I personally use Infinite Nutrition custom drink on the bike, but it's probably considered "fancy" - their once-a-year sale at 40% off makes it affordable for me.

But if you're looking for something CHEAP, I don't have many suggestions. Good nutrition is worth the money in my opinion.

2011-11-28 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3917249

Veteran
NC

Thanks, I appreciate the input.  I totally agree that nutrition is not something an athlete should compromise on.  That said, I have no doubt that some people can "get away with" eating things that other people can't eat.  As far as training, I've been lucky to be able to munch pop tarts and all kinds of junk (snickers bars, oatmeal creme pies) for long bikes and live to tell about it.  Would I reccomend these "nutrition solutions" to everyone?  Absolutely not.

Here's where I'm coming from with expense.  Let's say I take a four hour bike ride.  I take in a minimum of 200 kcal/hr on the bike...I prefer 300 kcal/hr.  That's $8 in Gu's at $0.99 per Gu (not on sale) and 2 Gu's/hr.  Or, I can eat 1 pop tart per hour, half a box, or $1.  Is that $7 gonna break me?  No, but it seems excessive.  It also adds up over the course of a whole season of long course training. 

The best gluten-free solution I saw after some grocery store exploring this weekend was trader joe's banana chips.  $0.99/bag, 8 servings @160 kcal/serving...that's over 1000 calories for $1.  If I were to only eat Gu, that's $10 worth of calories. 

2011-11-28 2:53 PM

User image

Pro
2011-11-28 3:07 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I like the list (OK I might have to make the bars in the first link!) but they are going to be VERY VERY VERY pricey to make, as compared to the $1 per serving Poptarts mentioned by the OP... ingredients like "maple buckwheat flakes" are just not cheap, and pretty hard to find.

I would also categorize all of those as extremely "fancy" as compared to a gel or a chew (or pop tart). All though I have made a homemade granola bar and raced with it before... but again, neither inexpensive nor simple. 

OP if you're looking for a truly cheap + gluten free substitute to your pop tarts and graham crackers, I'm not sure you'll find one. Something's gotta give somewhere... 

What about bananas?

2011-11-28 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
I've used chia seeds up to the 100 mile distance. At my 50 mile race recently the bulk of my calories came from a combo of www.RunningFood.com's micro milled chia seeds and Maltodextrin from corn. Both gluten free, natural, simple, and a cheap long run and race fuel.

2011-11-28 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3917914

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

ipull400watts - 2011-11-28 4:17 PM I've used chia seeds up to the 100 mile distance. At my 50 mile race recently the bulk of my calories came from a combo of www.RunningFood.com's micro milled chia seeds and Maltodextrin from corn. Both gluten free, natural, simple, and a cheap long run and race fuel.

What does that taste like?

2011-11-28 4:59 PM

User image

Elite

Honestly, unless I'm training for a very long time (2 hours+ at a time), I just go with regular ol' gatorade or powerade.  occasionally, I'll do Gu or Shotbloks as a special treat on the longest of rides...and I have been known to stick a ziploc of Chex cereal into my bike jersey as well.  I've been completely GF since April '09.  

On morning workouts, I'll generally have a cup of Chex cereal or some homemade GF pancakes, or a yogurt, or some fruit..  In the afternoon or night, I'll just eat a little less dinner before I workout and eat more when I'm finished.

Some folks have posted recipes with raw maltodextrin as well.  I guess I'm not ambitious enough to give them a try.  Might be worth your while.

Good luck!

2011-11-28 5:10 PM
in reply to: #3917983

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
lisac957 - 2011-11-28 4:52 PM

ipull400watts - 2011-11-28 4:17 PM I've used chia seeds up to the 100 mile distance. At my 50 mile race recently the bulk of my calories came from a combo of www.RunningFood.com's micro milled chia seeds and Maltodextrin from corn. Both gluten free, natural, simple, and a cheap long run and race fuel.

What does that taste like?

It does not taste like berry punch, but it's fine. You could always add something if you wanted.

Here's what I briefly wrote about my nutrition at the end of my 50 miler RR:

" Nutrition
Maltodextrin, Chia Seeds, Clif Shots, Clif Bloks
Not supplementing with massive amounts of electrolytes.
My only sources were the gels I had and the chia seeds, a rather low amount compared to what most athletes take during an endurance event. I figure I probably had less than 500mg salt and less than 600mg potassium during the event. If I were to follow Hammer Nutrition's average guidelines for taking their Endurolyte capsules plus my regular nutrition I would have consumed about 2000mg of sodium and about 1500mg of potassium. "

http://www.runningonthewhiteline.com/2011/11/2011-surf-murph-race-r...
2011-11-28 6:08 PM
in reply to: #3918008

Veteran
NC

Thanks for the input.  I may go with a combo of banana chips and homemade blobs of chex or rice.  Yum!

I'm curious about the Chia seeds.  I didn't see nutrition info on the website, so I looked it up on another couple of sites.  Both said that Chia seeds are quite high in fiber.  Does this not go against all things that are good and holy in the sports nutrition world?

Don't get me wrong...fiber and colon health, got it.  But on a long run?

Also, where do you buy your maltodextrin?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » gluten free training nutrition Rss Feed