General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2012-07-16 7:34 PM
in reply to: #3916289

User image

New user

NE Illinois
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread

This was my third Racine in a row, and my perception was this was the hottest one. At least I felt the heat more this year than in the past.

As always, a shout out to the residents and volunteers of Racine. Great support.

Reading the posts above, and observing the run course at Racine and IMOO, I am not sure why more age groupers don't adopt a Galloway-style run/walk strategy from the get-go. It is clear that virtually everybody walks at some point during the run. I have used a 4:00/1:00 run/walk ratio the past 2 years. If you can get over the ego issues associated with walking 4 minutes into an Ironman run, the results can be quite good.

It also takes the guilt and "management" issues out of walking. You know, running until you feel like crap, then walking, then forcing yourself to run again, rinse and repeat. It's much easier when your Garmin tells you to walk: you do it. And if you're running and feel bad, you only have to run for 4 minutes until you get to rest. Anyone can run 4 minutes.

At Madison last year, I used this system to run a 4:36 marathon (also walking the aid stations and that huge hill twice) during which I passed 430 runners. (I didn't count; you can tell by the race results.) Yesterday, I ran a top 38% age group and top 42% overall half using run/walk. (Both better ranks than my swim or bike times. And I'm an old guy.)

Anyway, commercial done. Congrats to everyone who finished yesterday.

2012-07-16 8:18 PM

User image

Regular
Just saw the news video for the race - Again, awesome support from the community!

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/162525336.html
2012-07-16 11:47 PM

User image

Veteran

Just posted my race report!!! It was a great race, for my first HIM I was happy with how things went. I had to mak several mid race changes to my race plans to be able to keep moving forward but in the end that's what I did: kept moving forward.

I ended up meeting all of my goals: I had a fun, no wait, I had a blast! I finished in the time allowed, and I was not the last one across the finish line.

Like everyone else has said I fell apart on the run, literally. My deep hip flexors and abductors started to made their aweful pop-pop ggrrrriiinnnndddd noise. I had to make some quick decisions to be able to physically keep moving.

I'm a slow swimmer so having done a 1.2 mile swim in under an hour is amazingly fast for me. Had some problems on the bike but I got over it. I too saw several wrecks and took it easy on the corners. Run turned into a walk due to hip problems coupled with the heat.

Overall I'm thrilled with my preformance. Sadly I will not be back next year. I will be taking all of next season off to recover from multiple injuries that arn't healing due to my constant training and racing. A year off will give my body time to fully recover and regain strenght. However I do look forward to volunteering at many events.

CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE!!!!!!

2012-07-17 7:34 AM

User image

Veteran

Congrats to everyone!!!  That was one brutal day out there; just plain tough.  I was happy with my overall time (doh...forgot to put the dang chip on going out to the bike, but put it back on one the run so I could at least get my total time which is what I was shooting for; Garmin filled in the gap on the bike). 

Coming off the bike I felt good/confident, but something happened on the start of the run.  I just could never catch my breath, get my gait straightened out, build momentum.....and the run was the part of my training that has significantly improved this year.  Normally it takes me a mile or so to get ramped up; it just never happened.  No doubt I learned a lot about myself - especially when it comes to nutrition management and hydration.

Personally, I was so emotionally/physically spent that when I finished I was one big emotional mess that I basically collapsed into the volunteers arms and I leaned on them walking through the chute.  Friends/family were there for me and I very much appreciated it. 

2012-07-17 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4314874

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
The Magic Rat - 2012-07-16 7:34 PM

Reading the posts above, and observing the run course at Racine and IMOO, I am not sure why more age groupers don't adopt a Galloway-style run/walk strategy from the get-go. It is clear that virtually everybody walks at some point during the run. I have used a 4:00/1:00 run/walk ratio the past 2 years. If you can get over the ego issues associated with walking 4 minutes into an Ironman run, the results can be quite good.

Yep, this is my new strategy after my first HIM.  Just posted my race report.  When I did not have it for the run, I did not have a run/walk plan, so it was mostly walk.  Lesson learned.

2012-07-17 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4315435

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
Congratulations to everyone on a great race!  Sorry I did not seek any of you out and wasn't able to attend any of the pre-race meet-ups.  But I had a great time at my first HIM!  Good swim and bike, but like many of you fell apart on the run.  I had horrible gas throughout most of the run, which relegated me to a lot of walking and very slow running.  But I did my best to keep moving forward and ended up finishing well ahead of my plan.  I am used to having gas issues after swimming due to poor breathing.  Usually some gas-x solves the problem, but not Sunday.  Finally grabbed some coke at about mile 10-11 on the run and presto-stomach felt better!  If only I had tried that at mile 1!  I too am considering the run-walk strategy for my next go-around, although I feel like if I could have solved the gas issue earlier, I could have performed better on the run.  Oh, well, no complaints and a great first HIM experience!  Hopefully I'll get to a RR before my next HIM, coming up in 4 short weeks at Rev3 Wis Dells - anyone else doing that one?  Congratulations again!

2012-07-17 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4314874

User image

Expert
Chicagoland

This was my third Racine in a row, and my perception was this was the hottest one. At least I felt the heat more this year than in the past.

As always, a shout out to the residents and volunteers of Racine. Great support.

It also takes the guilt and "management" issues out of walking. You know, running until you feel like crap, then walking, then forcing yourself to run again, rinse and repeat. It's much easier when your Garmin tells you to walk: you do it. And if you're running and feel bad, you only have to run for 4 minutes until you get to rest. Anyone can run 4 minutes.

At Madison last year, I used this system to run a 4:36 marathon (also walking the aid stations and that huge hill twice) during which I passed 430 runners. (I didn't count; you can tell by the race results.) Yesterday, I ran a top 38% age group and top 42% overall half using run/walk. (Both better ranks than my swim or bike times. And I'm an old guy.)

Anyway, commercial done. Congrats to everyone who finished yesterday.

I'm in complete agreement I'm a Galloway runner... in fact, I'm a pace group leader for the Galloway group that trains on the path in Algonquin.  It's fantastic to run a 26 miler in trainig, never hit the wall in a marathon be functional (with two small kids) the next day.  I also agree about it being so much easier mentally..

2012-07-17 11:13 AM

User image

Wisconsin

BIG Congratulations to everyone who participated on Sunday!  That goes out to anyone who wasn't able to finish as well.  Regardless of "the finish", everyone worked really hard and learned alot about themselves so great work to all athletes! 

Day started out so beautiful with the sunrise and calm lake waters, funny how quickly it changes isn't it?  I agree that the heat was brutal on the run. It's hard to gauge when you are on your bike creating that breeze and then you are out there on the run with the heat off the pavement just cooking you.  I didn't think it was that hot until I got to the turn off of mainstreet and then I felt like all of the air just stopped completely!   That photographer on the hill sucked- can't wait to see all of those walking pictures!!!  The bike does have many rough spots with the washboard issue but I fear that will not change in the near future.  Somehow you forget all of that when you see all of the volunteers and homeowners out there on the run.  The support from all of them as well as your fellow racers is why we do this. 

It was really great to have met many of you on Saturday for the swim and online up to this race.  It's been a pleasure the past several weeks and I hope all of you have a successful remainder of the season and will maybe do Racine again next year??   Looking forward to hearing how the Rev3 in the Dells goes for it's first year to determine if that's one for 2013 too.  This was my last tri for the season now just running to get ready for the Milwaukee marathon in October.  Anyone else doing that one?   Cyndi and I will be in Kona volunteering for the race so keep an eye out for us when they televise.  Oh and if we just happen to win that $16K Trek bike from the expo we'll be there to bring it home))  How convenient!!

Thanks for a great race everyone!

Amy

Posting my race log shortly

2012-07-17 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
2012-07-17 1:43 PM
in reply to: #4315435

User image

Veteran

E]cartman1966 - 2012-07-17 8:24 AM

Yep, this is my new strategy after my first HIM.  Just posted my race report.  When I did not have it for the run, I did not have a run/walk plan, so it was mostly walk.  Lesson learned.

YES YES YES!!! I've was a convert back in April at my first marathon (Big Sur) when I met Jeff Galloway and have used his method ever since... For this HIM, again, it worked GREAT!!  I never hit a wall... was able to keep my ratio and even sprint at the finish.  Sure, I was tired and it was hot but saving my energy early led to me finishing strong.  Word of caution... It actually takes discipline to make yourself stop & walk in the early parts of a race, when you are not yet tired... But believe me, as the race goes on, you'll be amazed how many people around you are melting and you start to feel stronger... I saw they broke the run into 3 splits and my 3rd (the last leg) of the race was actually faster than the 2nd - I'm telling you iT WORKS and I felt fine after too!!!  No, I'm not the fastest by any means but I finished strong and comfortable w/no need for anything than a couple turkey sandwiches, some chips and a soda for re-coop .  Give it a try!! 

Leslie-Zippgirl

2012-07-17 2:08 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

2012-07-17 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4316303

User image

Veteran

Hey Racers... 

I forgot to ask you all... During the bike portion of the race, did any of you see the man racing his bike in FLIP-FLOPS!!!??? Now I understand different strokes for different folks but this had me actually laughing out loud.  This wasn't a sprint it was a 56 mile bike ride!!  I even coasted for a moment next to him and ask the guy... "Really?... You are racing Flip-flops"?  He smiled and nodded his head "Yes"... and I was on my way... I couldn't believe it...Boy did that give me a giggle... Then, another racer pulled up along me and says "Did you just see that guy in the flip-flops?".... Foot in mouthWe both laughed again and sped off... Sooooo funny.  Made me think to ask what others have seen on race day...

By the way, I had to laugh at myself in this race too as about 1 mile into the run I was wondering why my hands (specifically) were so hot.. finally realized - DUH... I still had my bike gloves on.  (just put them in the pocket on my back but THAT made me laugh (at myself) too...

I've also put my helmet on backward (in a race last year) but corrected it after going thru transition like that (at the bike-out).. silly me...

Anyway... Who has some other good ones?

Edited by ZippGirl 2012-07-17 2:25 PM
2012-07-17 2:40 PM
in reply to: #4316215

User image

Expert

Do you guys do your long training runs with this method or just the race?

ZippGirl - 2012-07-17 1:43 PM

E]cartman1966 - 2012-07-17 8:24 AM

YES YES YES!!! I've was a convert back in April at my first marathon (Big Sur) when I met Jeff Galloway and have used his method ever since... For this HIM, again, it worked GREAT!!  I never hit a wall... was able to keep my ratio and even sprint at the finish.  Sure, I was tired and it was hot but saving my energy early led to me finishing strong.  Word of caution... It actually takes discipline to make yourself stop & walk in the early parts of a race, when you are not yet tired... But believe me, as the race goes on, you'll be amazed how many people around you are melting and you start to feel stronger... I saw they broke the run into 3 splits and my 3rd (the last leg) of the race was actually faster than the 2nd - I'm telling you iT WORKS and I felt fine after too!!!  No, I'm not the fastest by any means but I finished strong and comfortable w/no need for anything than a couple turkey sandwiches, some chips and a soda for re-coop .  Give it a try!! 

Leslie-Zippgirl

2012-07-17 2:41 PM

User image

Wisconsin

I didn't see the flip flops but would probably still be on the course laughing if I had!  Who does that and why?  There was one sign that did make me laugh- mostly because it was short and to the point.  "It's ok, you can crap your pants"!  Hilarious to me but I am a total juvenile so...

The only other funny, using the word loosely, thing was that I got passed by and 82 year old man.  Yes and so did many of us and you didn't know it.  He pulled off to the side on the run to tie his shoe then cut back in in front of me and that's when I saw his age!  Congrats to him of course but man it's not good for the mental state of your game to have that happen!  So I did look him up and his profession is a fitness consultant so I feel like maybe he had one up on me)) His finish time was 6:26!

2012-07-17 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4316347

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-07-17 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4316393

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
gordon_mom - 2012-07-17 2:41 PM

I didn't see the flip flops but would probably still be on the course laughing if I had!  Who does that and why?  There was one sign that did make me laugh- mostly because it was short and to the point.  "It's ok, you can crap your pants"!  Hilarious to me but I am a total juvenile so...

The only other funny, using the word loosely, thing was that I got passed by and 82 year old man.  Yes and so did many of us and you didn't know it.  He pulled off to the side on the run to tie his shoe then cut back in in front of me and that's when I saw his age!  Congrats to him of course but man it's not good for the mental state of your game to have that happen!  So I did look him up and his profession is a fitness consultant so I feel like maybe he had one up on me)) His finish time was 6:26!

I got "race-walkered".  Yep.  A race walker passed me on the run.  Within the last 5k.  I'm not to proud to say it.  Never saw  him again. 

2012-07-17 3:57 PM
in reply to: #4316390

Veteran
tmoran80 - 2012-07-17 2:40 PM

YES! I train with Galloway too - I just adjust my ratios.  For example, on average...For under 3miles, I run the whole thing.  For 5-8mi, I use a 5:1, for 8-10mi...4:1 etc... for anything over that I typically use 3:1... for this 13.1, I used 3:30 to 1 and had no problem keeping it.  I may have been able to do 4:1 fine, but wasn't sure with the heat so I kept it 3:30/1 and was able to finish strong and sprint at the end.  I walked most of the hills on purpose too... Who told the photographer to be at the top of the hill?  Reall?  THAT should provide some hysterical pics! 

2012-07-17 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4316390

Expert
Chicagoland
tmoran80 - 2012-07-17 2:40 PM

Tim, long runs as well. 

Jeff Galloway is a huge proponent of slowing your long run way down (we are training for an 11 min marathon pace now, and running our long runs at 13, and probably need to be slower) to avoid injury.  You include workouts like hills and mile repeats (his version of speedwork) into the schedule to get faster.  We just did a 23 miler this past Saturday and ran it doing 90 sec running/45 sec walking the whole time.  The next day (while you guys were racing), I got up and did a 4 hour bike with a 3 mile brick without issues (other than being sore, a little)..  With the Galloway method, you also cover the entire (say, marathon) distance in training, so you never hit the wall (defined as the longest distance you ran in training).  He is also big on the concept of Magic Mile, which I can explain if you are interested...

As a pace group leader, I've met him twice now and his big emphasis is on slowing down the long run, doing shorter intervals during the LR, then doing whatever intervals work for you (or no walking at all) during the week.  He encouraged us to play with different ratios for different types of runs.  He mentioned an e-coaching client who, after they tweaked a bunch of stuff, ended up running a 4:30 marathon doing 30/30s (yes, seconds) the entire way.   Hard to imagine, isn't it?  But i will say, I ran my first marathon as 1min/1min the whole way, and except for one mile, my friend and I kept our (modest) pace of 12 min the entire race and passed an insane amount of people, in the second half especially. 

And, I am and functional with my small boys the next day

2012-07-17 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4316499

Expert
Chicagoland
FoggyGoggles - 2012-07-17 3:25 PM

I did see that sign right as you entered the finishers chute / turn-around area. I got a nice laugh out of it.

I didn't see flip-flops, but I did get passed by a guy riding an older roadie while wearing running shoes. Along with that, I passed another big guy riding a mountain bike. I pulled along side of him and told him that he was probably the baddest guy out there that day. (I obviously didn't know about the flippies!)

On the note of funny signs, my son is three and has been really excited about going to this race... to the point where we watched a lot of IM races on youtube. He decided that he wanted to make a sign for me so he enlisted the help of my wife. When I got home Thursday he presented a poster-sized sign that read "Go Daddy! Go fast like a C-5 Galaxy!" complete with a printed picture of a C-5 Galaxy airplane. For those of you who have no idea what a C-5 is, it's the largest cargo aircraft in the Air Force's fleet. They're not that fast. Ha-ha! I read it and just said "Thanks???" Priceless!

Foggy, that is pretty awesome!!!!!

2012-07-17 4:31 PM

Expert
Chicagoland
crowny2 - 2012-07-17 2:08 PM

Local article with some "typical" comments. 

http://caledonia.patch.com/articles/ironman-racine-competition-means-road-closures-on-sunday 

wow, some hate spread around in the comments... sad, really. How can people NOT see the positive effect of ANY type of an event of this magnitude on the local community?? seriously closed-minded folks out there

you know what they say about a closed-minded individual, right? Their minds are like cement-all mixed up and permanently set.

2012-07-17 4:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
crowny2 - 2012-07-17 2:08 PM

Local article with some "typical" comments. 

http://caledonia.patch.com/articles/ironman-racine-competition-means-road-closures-on-sunday 

Being a local resident and one that lives right off the bike course I hope Racine keeps the race (regardless of brand) here every year. Alot of the negative comments on that post are from the "usual suspects" in Racine. The comments about disproving the economic impact goes both ways. If they would actually step away from the safe confines of their computer screen they could see the positive impact this event has on city and shop owners.

There are many Racine residents that value the race, your participation and want it (and you) coming back for years.

(cowbell Pete)-I was ringing the cowbell this year on Main street by the school and the zoo.

2012-07-17 6:02 PM
in reply to: #4316708

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by FoggyGoggles 2012-07-17 6:02 PM
2012-07-17 6:35 PM

Wisconsin
So for those of you that use the run/walk ratio... what run pace are you typically keeping for your long runs-13+ miles?
2012-07-17 7:33 PM
in reply to: #4316605

Veteran
Lyoshka - 2012-07-17 4:04 PM
FoggyGoggles - 2012-07-17 3:25 PM

I did see that sign right as you entered the finishers chute / turn-around area. I got a nice laugh out of it.

I didn't see flip-flops, but I did get passed by a guy riding an older roadie while wearing running shoes. Along with that, I passed another big guy riding a mountain bike. I pulled along side of him and told him that he was probably the baddest guy out there that day. (I obviously didn't know about the flippies!)

On the note of funny signs, my son is three and has been really excited about going to this race... to the point where we watched a lot of IM races on youtube. He decided that he wanted to make a sign for me so he enlisted the help of my wife. When I got home Thursday he presented a poster-sized sign that read "Go Daddy! Go fast like a C-5 Galaxy!" complete with a printed picture of a C-5 Galaxy airplane. For those of you who have no idea what a C-5 is, it's the largest cargo aircraft in the Air Force's fleet. They're not that fast. Ha-ha! I read it and just said "Thanks???" Priceless!

Foggy, that is pretty awesome!!!!!

THAT IS THE BEST, FOGGY.... Nice to meet you too (on the run

!!!

2012-07-17 7:37 PM

Sioux Falls, SD

I was really surprised by some of those comments about the road closures.  Obviously most of them don't understand that almost every city in the country (and world) would be honored to host this event.  I'm going to assume this is a small portion of the population there.  Anyways, found a cool link with some stats from the race.

http://www.runtri.com/2011/07/racine-half-ironman-results-analysis.html

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27