General Discussion Race Reports! » Santa Barbara International Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Santa Barbara International Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Santa Barbara, California
United States
Select Staffing
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 07m 36s
Overall Rank = 32/881
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/58
Pre-race routine:

Nothing to special. I had my gear choices selected the night before planning for rain but changed up last minute due to the clear skies. I used a pace band made at MarathonGuide.com and put clear tape on both sides and sealed the edges.
Event warmup:

Gina was kind enough to drop me off at the designated zone she wished me luck and I was on my way. I made some friends walking to the gym. The usual nervous chatter. It was a good little walk about 10 min. We were given water at the High school and told to wait inside the gym for a pre-race meeting. At 7:00 am. they sent us to the start line. I did some light stretching but mainly watched all the other participants. I find all the nervous energy fun to watch.
Run
  • 3h 07m 36s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

The Trip started Friday with a long drive from the SF bay area to Santa Barbara. It rained the entire trip, and more rain was called for Saturday. I did my best to get my mind wrapped around the fact that I may be running this thing in a down pour. I don't mind running in the rain , but three plus hours was going to suck. We made it safely the the packet pickup. This was quick and easy, then to the hotel only about 10 min. away. We checked in then off to dinner. We found a place in down town Santa Barbara called . Wonderful meal and excellant service. On to race day, Woke up after what I would consider a normal pre race night sleep (4 hours sleep + 4 hours rolling around). The sky was clear and temps were in the high 50's Perfect. Got to the start line and got right up front. A young lady did a great job with the National Anthem and as they were saying a few closing words I noticed my heart rate moniter stopped working. I wet the contacts with some spit and it started working again and just in time as gun goes off. The first three miles are down hill, I knew with my excitement and the decrease in elevation this part would be fast but I would have to reel my self in quickly. Well this worked perfectly. I kept my mile times within 10-15 seconds of what I was looking for. the next 16 miles went like clockwork. I drank at every aid station and took a gel pack every 45 min. Never felt sloshy. There is a rise at mile 19 and this was my first mile that was over the pace. Mile 21 was about 10 seconds off as well. Not to worry, mile 22 I hit right on the button and tried to get ready for what I knew was comming. Mile 23-24 is a whopper of a hill and as you turn to corner and see this monster a head wind from the ocean hits you in the face as well. I knew I was good on time at this point but I also knew a lot of time could be lost here as well. I decided to do a countdown at this point a little game I play. mile 23 was a 7:29, mile 24 was a 8:14 ouch, but I knew it was down hill from here. Everything was feeling ok at this point, no chance of failure. I was able to throw down a 7:17 and a 7:24 for the last two miles. I could see the stadium and the finish line. The chute was full of people I probably passed twenty people before the finish line. I crossed the finish line and the volenteers bombarded me with a finisher medal, water, and take your timming chip. After I delt with that I walked only a few feet to sit on a bench, looking at my watch and knowing I beat my goal time by more than 2 1/2 minutes and BQ 2012 standard by 7 1/2 thinking this should be enough to get me into the Boston Marathon 2013 I think I wept a little.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

It took a while to find Gina then we took of pretty quickly knowing we had a long car ride home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had a calf injury about five weeks out from this race and missed two key long runs. All things considered I healed in time and even if I had not had the injury, I would not have pushed any harder than I did. This was my second marathon and it went real well

Event comments:

Gina, Thank you so much for supporting me, inspiring me, motivating me. This has been my best year of racing yet. One year ago I had three goals set for 2012, a podium finish, To become an IronMan and to qualify for Boston, and you were with me all the way. I love you.

Last updated: 2011-08-27 12:00 AM
Running
03:07:36 | 26.2 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/58
Overall: 32/881
Performance: Good
Avg HR 166, Max HR 176
Course: The first ten miles are a loop where you end up back at the High school then make your way into Santa Barbara finishing at Santa Barbara City Collage.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-11-27 10:27 PM

Subject: Santa Barbara International Marathon

2011-11-28 6:39 AM
in reply to: #3916698

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Santa Barbara International Marathon
BQ! Congrats on an awesome day!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Santa Barbara International Marathon Rss Feed