Ironman North America
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 56m 8s
Overall Rank = 1720/3010
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 245/
Pre-race routine:

This will be LONG as this was my 1st full Ironman and I wanted to take EVERYTHING in! The IM experience starts on Thursday and I made sure I didn't miss a thing. Flew in Wed. night and made it to the house where I was staying. Family wouldn't arrive until Sat. so had some me time. Woke up Thurs. morning, went and had a nice breakfast and checked the weather for the weekend. It was already sunny and beautiful, and I hoped it would be like this come Sunday. Jumped in my car and headed to the race site. Arrived around 10:00 and got in line for registration. Talked to some poeple and enjoyed the company. Went in, got my wristband and packet. Next the "money" tent and bought everything I saw. Knew this might be my only IM so I loaded up on IMAZ gear. Waited in line to check out and talked with some more poeple. Walked around the rest on Ironman village and checked out some booths. Had a short brick and decided it was best to head back to the house and get away from the crazies. Did workout, jumped in hot tub at house (nice!) and met a friend for dinner. Food, a couple of beers and nice conversation, and I went back to crash. Friday, up for breakfast, then went to check in at hotel. Meet parents, and my sister's family that flew in from Kentucky. Hung out by the pool, then off to the athlete's dinner. Met up with Jlamm66 (Jim) which was awesome. We both enjoyed the atmosphere and sat with a guy that was doing his 12th IM...WOW! Sat. morning up to do the pre-race swim. Walked down to the steps where a lot of people were just standing with feet in the water. Said "it's not getting any warmner" and in I went. Wasn't as bad as I though and had a nice 15 min swim. Out and back to the house for a final short brick. Showered, packed up transition bags and bike and back to race site to check in. Dropped off the P2 and off to meet my wife and kids. Huge out by the pool at the hotel then off for dinner. Nice pasta meal then my wife dropped me off at the house to be with my thoughts. Finished mixing Infinit and getting nutrition together, then off to bed at 9. Probably feel asleep around 10:30 with alarms set for 3. Woke up at 2:41 and laid in bed until 3. PB toast, banana, coffee, and some water, took a quick shower to wake up. Then out the door at 4:45. Staying at a friends house in Chandler and he (Greg) drove me race morning so family could sleep in. Went to put aero bottle on bike, uh oh, only 1 rubber band. Found some velcro bands in bag and rigged it best I could. Body marked, bathroom, then dropped off SN bags and morning bag. Pumped tires then handed bag and pump to Greg. Sat and talked to him for a while then wife and kids showed up. They had on Rob's Mob shirts and were excited to see dad. Put on wetsuit, got some last minute pics and hugs, and thanked them for putting up with me for the last 15 months! There is nothing better than family. Walked to the swim start and got myself mentally ready. Here we go!!
Event warmup:

Jumped in and went under water. Water felt fine to me and I swam to the start. Rolled on my back and started screaming at the people on Mill St. bridge!!! This is really going to happen.
Swim
  • 1h 19m 51s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started right in the middle of the pack, in between the buoys and the wall. One last good pee in the suit, heard the national anthem, then said a quick prayer. I was fairly relaxed then, BOOM, off goes the cannon. Tried to hit start on my watch and it didn't work, oh well, just swim. First 500m was ok, a kick or punch here and there, but nothing big. THEN...everything changed. I was being attacked!! Push, kick, hit. swim over, try to breath, splash to the face, no air, then repeat!! OWS does not bother me so this was a first...I started to panic. Heard my coaches words and rolled on my back for 10 secs, back over. I'm sighting every stoke and wasting a lot of energy. Still getting hammered. Can't breath. On my back again! I'm going to quit 10 mins into IM...NO!!!! Rolled over and the beatings stopped. Started to breath normal and found a small rhythm. Thought about sighting in the pool and starting counting to 4, then sight, 4 then sight...it was working. HR came down and I started to feel ok. Pace picked up and now I'm swimming. Thank goodness! Made it to turn buoy and got hit in the head...HARD!! Just kept swimming found some open water and some feet. Had a couple of people around that could not swim straight, but I fought hard to keep my line. Feeling ok, then a cramp in my left calf. Don't panic, just pull your toes back...good, pain gone. That cramp came back 4 more times, but I was able to deal with it. Turned the last buoy and saw the steps. Thought of my coach again, kick hard the last 100m and you'll feel good out of the water. One last cramp as I get pulled out of the water and....YES! I did it. See the clock and realize I did swim in under 1:20...very happy! I guessed 1:15-1:30 and could not be more pleased with my effort. Find a big guy to strip pff wetsuit. One pull, and a hand and I'm up again heading to T1.
What would you do differently?:

I probably should have started further back, but I did the best I could. Happy I was able to deal with the beatings and continue.
Transition 1
  • 11m 54s
Comments:

There were already 50 people sitting outside the changing tent so I decided not to even try it. Yelled out my number and was handed my T1 bag...awesome. Found a spot on the ground and dumped my bag. Dried off, then started with my head and moved down. No change here as I knew I would race in same tri gear all day. Took a quick pee, loaded up with the "butter" then handed bag off and into tent. Took a drink of water and the tent was jammed!! Glad I did everything outside. Stopped to get loaded with sunscreen and found my bike. Jogged it to mount line. Didn't see any family but that's ok...I knew they were somewhere!

Could have moved faster, but I was happy with this transition. Didn't forget anything.
Bike
  • 6h 06m 22s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I was ready for this! Spent a lot of time training on bike and knew I could put in a decent effort. Started the short trip out to the Beeline. Had some people pass me, but kept thinking..race your race! Never let that bother me all day. Made it to Beeline knew I had about 9 miles of a slight uphill. We had a headwind on the way up, but I kept things smooth. Noticed that the people coming down were flying, so I knew that would be me soon. Looked down at computer with 3 miles left to the top...12mph..ok, relax, your doing fine. Made it to top and turned. Nutrition was good so far and no need for aid station. Put it in big ring and went!! This is awesome, I'm flying down the Beeline at 30mph with little effort and I'm having a blast! Remember to have fun, why else would someone do this :) Make the short trip back to the turn aroud and see family!! I'm yelling now, and very happy! Lap 2 here we come. Stop for pee number 1 right before heading up. Start up the Beeline again and I feel great. Maybe I'm finding my stride because this is WAY easier than the 1st loop. Look over at the riders coming down and realize they are not going as fast as the 1st time. Wind change? Make it to top, turn and feel the wind. No big deal, I've trained in wind for months, I can do this. Stop and SN and get another bottle of Infinit and my snickers. Wow, was that a good treat! Fill up my aero bottle on the way down and feel good. Nutrition still on. Back down in to the turn around again. See family ringing cowbells and screaming...amazing!!!! 2 loops in 4 hours and I'm right where I want to be. My neck is starting to get sore, but I expected this. Just relax, and enjoy! Back up the Beeline again with some cross winds but I'm doing this. Big smiles! This is FUN!!! Make the turn at the top and know I'm almost home. The way back down there were winds here and there but I stayed positive. Smile, be happy, enjoy (theme of the day!!). One last pee stop. Finally see finish to the right. YES!!! Hit the dismount line and check watch (6:06), nice!

I think I could have pushed harder because I was never tired and legs felt good, BUT, I still have a marathon so I wanted to be ready.
Transition 2
  • 05m 56s
Comments:

So nice to hand off my bike and jog it into T2. Yelled my number and there was my bag. Volunteers were AWESOME!!! Made it in the tent this time with plenty of spots. Not much to do really. Helmet and arm warmers off. Change shoes, and rest for a sec. Once again I hear my coach...don't rest too long. Hat and sunglasses on, stop for another sunscreen session and I'm off.

Nothing. This was just fine with me!
Run
  • 6h 12m 5s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Head onto the run course and see everybody....OH MY!!!! They have a 5'x5' cardboard picture of my head!! A big bald man with a goatee!! Funny! Lots of screaming! I stop for a kiss from my wife and kids and some high fives!!! I know that being an Ironman is all about the run. This is my weakest event and I just want to enjoy the experience. Start my slow jog and the legs feel ok, but I know this is going to be long. Smile, stay positive, have fun! First 5 miles take 59 minutes! It doesn't matter, you are going to be an Ironman today! Right at the 5 mile mark I have the second greatest blessing of the day (the 1st being my family), I meet Kyle. He is struggling as well and we start talking. This is his first IM as well and asks if I want to run with him. Sure! For the next 21 miles we shared stories, encouraged each other, and endured pain together. There is nothing like IM athletes. So positive, so much strength. I'm not sure either of us would have survived that run alone. He helped make my dreams come true, and for that I am truly thankful. We walked, jogged, and laughed all day. Loop 1 was ok and we met each others families. Everytime I saw family I stopped for hugs, kisses, and high fives. They were AMAZING ALL DAY!!! The start of loop 2 we see "blue man". How can he race in that suit??!? Nice guy. We talk for a while and off he goes. Kyle and I talk like old friends and continue to encourage one aother to push when we can. Jog, walk, smile. OK, maybe some pain as well. We tell each other that loop 3 will be a victory lap, just finish lap 2. The sun starts to set but there are others in worse shape than us. Keep moving, one foot in front of the other. Jog, walk..do the math. Is 13:30 possible...maybe. Keep going. The pain is starting to set in and my legs and feet are hurting. Kyle has blisters and has to stop and stretch now and again. We've come this far, we are going to finish together. The aid stations are awesome, so much positive energy. Potato chips!!!!! That was my food of choice for the run. I looked forward to every aid station! I see my wifes friend with a huge HTFU sign, just what I need, some comic relief. We laugh and continue on. At the start of loop 3 the sign with my head now has lights on it!!! Everybody is having fun and this is a party! The last 6 miles were very tough. Now I know what IM is all about. I thought about the last 15 months I've put into this race. The fact I lost 45lbs and all the positive mental gains I've made. Jog, walk, smile. Every person on the course is yelling words of encouragement. They mean so much to me and I can't describe it. It's dark and we are still moving. Run for .25 mile, walk...repeat. 2 miles to go, we are going to do this. 13:30 is out but we can finish sub 14. Keep pushing! I'm pround of myself. For anyone reading this who is thinking of doing an Ironman I can only say one thing..YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! This experience will change you in a positive way! Last mile and we jog in it. Finishers to the left...that's us!! We jog up the hill and get high fives from all the volunteers, amazing. I turn to see if anyone is behind me, all good. I push Kyle forward and tell him to finish. I slow and see my family!! They have been amazing all day and I'm so happy they are there to share in this moment. Lots of bright lights, some more high fives, and under the finish line. Hands up, YES! I am an IRONMAN!!!

More run training on tired legs. But I could not be more happy. The day is not about time, it's about the joy and emotion of the event.
Post race
Warm down:

I cross the finish line and see Kyle. We hug! What an amazing experience. I could not have done this without him. Got the hat and tee shirt, took the pic and grabbed some pizza and fries. Found family and hugs all around. A day I will never forget!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was happy with my swim and bike and know I have a faster marathon time in me. This will probably be my only IM, but I now know what to expect. Push hard when you don't think you can push any harder.

Event comments:

Thanks to all the volunteers and to the entire BT community. You all made this an unbelievable day!

Last updated: 2010-12-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:19:51 | 4224 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 182/
Overall: 1158/3010
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 1 loop under Mill St bridge to Rural bridge and back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 11:54
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:06:22 | 112 miles | 18.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 183/
Overall: 1170/3010
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loops out of transition then up and down the Beeline
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:12:05 | 26.2 miles | 14m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 245/
Overall: 1720/3010
Performance: Below average
Course: 3 loops around Tempe Town Lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-11-28 1:35 PM

Regular
Chesterfield, MO
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2011-11-29 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3917458

User image

Veteran
SoCal
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
great job on the swim and bike...congrats
2011-11-30 1:53 PM

User image

Veteran

Great job.  Love your report!!

2011-11-30 4:44 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past

Congratulations on accomplishing your goal. It's clear that you enjoyed the 'carp' out of the race and that's excellent.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed