General Discussion Race Reports! » Tribute to the Armed Forces Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tribute to the Armed Forces Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
DCB Adventures
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 02m 14s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I did not prepare for this race at all. Bryan and I ate Moroccan 1/2 # beef hamburgers at Fez last night at 11. I kinda realized that I was going to have to mostly process this in about 7 hours, but well hell! I was approaching this race as more of an opportunity to test out my new race pace swim + other LT thresholds, rather than a real race. Lake Havasu Oly had presented such difficulties, that it had not been a good test of racing with HR data.

I didn't check the course map at all, I got there late. Nevertheless, I managed to adequately porto-john, get marked, and setup. I had had 1/2 PBJ sandwich for bfast, and sipped on some water from a water fountain.
Event warmup:

I didn't even think to warmup! Can't say I missed it though.
Swim
  • 23m 30s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

My new race pace worked out great. I stayed with a good portion of the pack for the entire swim - probably still a bit towards the back, but hardly a straggler. It was nice to have other swimmers around me, feel them tapping my feet, feeling my back, running into my side. I got to the bouy turn-around in fairly good time - probably right over 10 minutes.

On the way back I did probably slow a bit. I had to stop twice to cough out my dry throat, but otherwise I kept on trucking. I felt quite good about myself.
What would you do differently?:

I was a bit discouraged on the way out that I could not see the bouy, and did not know where I was going. Knowing the course would have been helpful.
Transition 1
  • 05m 30s
Comments:

I really got stuck in my suit. I need to work on getting out of that.

This transition had a fairly long swim->transition run.
Bike
  • 58m 30s
  • 18 miles
  • 18.46 mile/hr
Comments:

I took the coach's suggestion and used the big gear. He did not suggest I try it for the first time during the race, but it seemed to work out pretty well. I liked seeing 20-21mph regularly on my computer. Towards the end of teh second (last) lap, I felt like I perhaps had gone out a bit too fast for my quads to maintain. I was able to hang in there though, and no one I had passed passed me during this time.
What would you do differently?:

Practice shifting between big and middle gear for the hills.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

This transition is always easy for me. It went smoothly. Grabbed a gu on the go, and ate it on the way out.
Run
  • 33m 30s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I was afraid my quads weren't going to be up for the run, but I hit a pace at about 175 HR, and held that. My HR creeped up to 182 or so towards the end. I was surprised to finish the course so quickly, and wonder if the race course is short. I don't usually whip out 8:30's like that. I sprinted to the end from about 300 yds away. Good race.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatting it up with other racers. I met chile7.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience? But overall I did better than I had hoped for.

Event comments:

A great race to push myself on. Like it. I guess the only down side is that they did not have chip timing - I heard so that the extra proceeds from money saved could go to the non-profit. So my times posted are best guess times - I did not always quite hit the split on my watch at the right time.

Last updated: 2006-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:30 | 1094 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Long john
Course: There n back, heading east first.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:58:30 | 18 miles | 18.46 mile/hr
Performance:
168 avg, 174 max
Wind: Little
Course: This course tends to be fast, with short up hills and long down hills. Rio Salado, west-bound is always fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:30 | 04 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Performance: Good
180 avg, 191 max
Course: One big uphill, one big downhill, and a flat sidewalk run along the river. Repeat 2x.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-04-30 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: Tribute to the Armed Forces Triathlon - Olympic

2006-04-30 2:59 PM
in reply to: #410408

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Subject: RE: Tribute to the Armed Forces Triathlon - Olympic
Great race Robin! You had some great times. Glad to see you had fun with your race.
2006-04-30 7:03 PM
in reply to: #410408

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Tribute to the Armed Forces Triathlon - Olympic
Great race!  I was thinking of you guys today and wished I was there. Wish I knew what to tell you about getting out of a wetsuit...despite that you had a great race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tribute to the Armed Forces Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed