Ironman North America
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 21m 38s
Overall Rank = 1444/
Age Group = F55-59
Age Group Rank = 4/23
Pre-race routine:

Tried to go to bed early but didn"t settle in until 10 or so- woke up around 2am & couldn't really get back to sleep so just "rested" until the alarm went off at 4;45..choked down some coffee & cinn toast & a few bites of fruit & yogurt, spent some time getting the 'young adults" to get moving & out the door! Got to the venue about 1/2 hr later than planned- had some last minute nutrition loading on the bike & tires to do- met up with Marianne & Max in the dark.(YOU ROCK!).and got a great send off from my cheering section-hurrying off to do my last minute "stuff"
Event warmup:

My last minute stuff was my warmup..then they were hollering at us to get in the lake but the crowd was so big there was no hurrying..by the time I got to the mat after a gel & potty stop..we had to jump off the sides..was in the water COLD..and struggling to get to the pack & start line when the gun went off & the race was on..
Swim
  • 1h 48m 50s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Hectic start into ice cream headache inducing water.Intermittent rough contact- got swam over , kicked & whacked a bit-but for me the limiter was the cold. I double capped but by the turn to go across to start back I knew I was in trouble- hands got stiffer & stiffer until by the last 1/3rd they wee just claws couldn't close the fingers at all. Calves cramped tight-couldn't feel thighs-then upper arms got heavy, brain was slow..Biggest fear was that body would seize up & they would take me out of the water. Last segment was shivering quite lot..once out of the water was so relieved.but once stripped the suit body just went into mega shiver mode- was walked to the warming tub/tent where I spent ? 15? FRUSTRATING minutes rewarming enough to get control of shakes & MOVE. Very frustrating sitting in the warm water with body freaking out. Volunteers kept saying you sure you want to continue I'm thinking Are you KIDDING me?? I survived the damn swim- after all these months for this day I am going to give up now???Just help me stop shaking so I can get on my bike!!!!
What would you do differently?:

I need to swim faster so I am not in the water so long!
I should have worn neoprene cap & booties, as well as drank warm lix to keep core up right til start..
Wasted precious time both in the water swimming poorly & rewarming.. I can do better!!
Transition 1
  • 19m 55s
Comments:

Most of transition time was spent in medical tent getting core temp up-sitting in warm tub with another lady shaking with a shower cap on my head! Got up & to the door once but shakes started again & they put me back on a lounge chair with warm packs & a blankie for another 5 min or so..finally able to leave the tent & head for the bike bag!!
did not change clothes- hit the port a pottie & put on cycling stuff & race belt , once on the bike- felt little chilled but GOOD!Had a gel on exit..

Not take forever to warm up..was mentally very tough seeing the race clock on going out on the bike- should have been out on the bike a half hour earlier..spirit was willing but the flesh was weak..! have to research this cold water acclimation stuff..as well as just get my swimming up to a better level- if I swam faster i wouldn't have has as much time to get hypothermic!
Bike
  • 6h 18m 18s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Wasnt really sure how to pace so just went with what felt reasonable at the time & tried to stick to nutrition/hydration plan of a bottle of h20 /hr & about 200 calories.Had Gi issues but bearable. Lost gps on 1st loop. ;(Had some disconcerting leg cramping/spasms at a few points that hadn't had before- just tried to keep panic at bay & work thru them & it worked..
It was so motvating to see Mariannne & Max at the turnaround ..felt like a celebrity!!Seeing Tos out at Bike station was awesome..and the rest of the crowd popped up too!The 2nd & 3rd loops had some winds on the way back in..but we were lucky I think from what I've heard they can be.

I think that I may have been able to push it a wee bit more, and I also could be a bit more aggressive when people block etc..I do need a better nutrition source as the belly aches were quite uncomfortable at times.
Transition 2
  • 07m 48s
Comments:

Didn't rush thru this so could be faster- was having quite a bit of belly distress initially ...made a pit stop.. Took FOREVER to change running sox to compression sox..volunteer really couldn't help ..maybe bodyglide & practice ?or wear them the whole time.? Think they probably were helpful tho- so getting more efficient at changing would be smart.Stuffed nutrition into back pockets & went.

sox as above.
Run
  • 4h 46m 49s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

I could have done better!
Overall I think the 3 loop course is a real boost for racers-(its dark & its a long f^&in day as Rori says!)Helps keep you upbeat to see your fans & the crowd in general..
The Finish- amazing running down the chute feeling like a Rockstar! Slowed down to enjoy the last moments of this most excellent adventure..

Knew going into it I did not have a foolproof nutrition plan..next time need to have that dialed in.Have a plan to keep pace..
Be sure to find & hug ALL my peeps heading to the finish- despite the lights & confusion-owe them lots..(Glennie you're amazing...you just needed a neon sign!)
Post race
Warm down:

Leisurely stroll thru finish line..soaking up the energy of the chute & the crowd..!!!
waited 20 min or so for a brief massage..caught the support crew in the chute & at the finish- a most welcome sight !! Chips & pepsi - home to shower- came back to watch the lats hour finishers- Inspiring-Humbling-Amazing to be there at midnight.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience/pacing/hypothermia!!

But ..next time.....;).....

Event comments:

The journey to First Ironman has been an amazing one-Would recommend this venue to others but be prepared for cold swim!
I have gained & learned much from the training and the race experience. I am very very grateful to have the health, means , and support to have set & accomplished this goal..
My body & mind have served me well.has shown me that the only limits we really have-are those that WE place upon ourselves..that we are capable of much more than we know-if we believe.
I am indebted to many friends and mentors, tickled at unexpected supporters,grateful for the encouragement of coworkers, friends, BT friends.. and most appreciative of my biggest fans & sherpas- Glen, Tos, Gwen, Jess, IRONMarianne, Beth at home.I am a very lucky girl.
Happy Dance!!

Last updated: 2011-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:48:50 | 4224 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/23
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: blue sevnty full
Course: one loop rectangular
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 19:55
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:18:18 | 112 miles | 17.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/23
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: 3 loop mostly flat- winds on 2nd & 3 rd loop heading back into town
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
04:46:49 | 26.2 miles | 10m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/23
Performance: Average
legs a little wooden on the start..plan was to run (not walk at all)1st 3 miles & did..started out in the "all day" pace..felt ok..legs felt tight but nothing awful but the belly was not happy..planned on sport beans & water but could NOT stomach the beans after a few..ended up switching to a few bites of banana & water @ every other station..& MUCH better for the rest of the run. Hard to know how to pace so just decided to run as long as I could at that "all day" pace & take in sips of water at stations...kept me running most of the way so I guess that was okay-but in retrospect if I had worn garmin prob would have kept the pace a little faster without any detrimental effect-but how to know..
Course: figure 8 3 loop over bridges & around tempe town lake..lots of different surfaces
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-11-29 9:31 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2011-11-29 10:36 PM
in reply to: #3919838

User image

Expert
Las Vegas
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Woohoo!  Awesome job!  Good job recovering from a brutal swim.  That water was COLD!  Anything much over an hour in that slush pond would be enough to turn anyone into an ice cube!  Congrats on an amazing accomplishment, IRONMAN!!
2011-11-30 12:20 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Congrats on your race!

Reading the swim part of your race report was somewhat like reliving my experience. The water was so cold and I had many of the same problems that you did. I didn't know about the warming tent though.  I too lost my gps (I think before I even headed out on the bike). Good for you for putting that swim behind you.

2011-11-30 7:26 AM

Uxbridge

Congrats IRON JO!!!!! I was so excited to see you come out of the swim with your cap on!!!! Phew! AMAZING race. You executed it beautifully for what the day dealt to you!

I cant remember the last time I was so excited as when I saw you come around the corner to the finishers chute. You looked fantastic. All those long months of training served you very well.

You were a ROCKSTAR all day long. Again, Congrats on a great race, your race report describes the day so perfectly!

2011-11-30 11:33 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Congratulations on a fantastic race! Wow, so well done. Sorry the cold water was so rough on you, but wow does it show how much FASTER you would be in a warmer race (TX? KY? Coz?)! Truly excellent! I saw you out on the run course and gave you a "Go BT" shout--you looked strong and confident when I saw you! You're a rockstar! Congratulations Ironman!
2011-11-30 12:35 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina

Congrats!! You really kicked it! I bet more than a few women in your group are saying "where did she come from??"

GOing from 17th place to 4th is amazing but posting the 2nd best bike AND run is super amazing!!  #1 is worried I am sure!

2011-11-30 4:30 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past
Amazing and impressive result after a challenging start. Congratulations.
2011-11-30 5:28 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Wonderfully accurate report - and I felt your pain!  Looks like we were on the course together.  Nice comeback from the swim!!

YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!

2011-11-30 6:37 PM

Champion
Going down to support you and take pictures and yell my head off everytime I saw you go by....well that was the highlight of my year.  I wouldn't have missed it for the world.  We all knew you could do this, and to place 4th in your AG was downright amazing.  You looked so excited every time you went by us.  This is what racing an Ironman is all about.  Congrats on a fantastic race.  Hope you can come out to do another one!!
2011-11-30 8:33 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
WOOO!! You know you're my hero!! Congrats x 100 on overcoming the injury odds and kicking IM butt!! WHY was the water so cold?? I could see if the race was here but ??
2011-11-30 9:43 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats Iron Jo!

I'm so impressed with your dedication long term to get and stay healthy add on your consistent training!

It was so fun following you thru the day and see you moving up and up in your AG. 2nd on bike and run in your AG in your first IM amazing!

Very proud and happy for you.

Cold water for some reason effects older women more than others especially when you are lean. I wish there was an easy fix as you obviously are well suited for IM distance.

IMFL...flat run and bike and 10 degree warmer swim?

You are such a stud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2011-12-01 11:20 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
awesome job!  way to move up and get 4th in AG!
2011-12-02 3:56 AM

Scott, I remember when you started all this stuff in our group triathlon mentor last year and I was so impressed with you and your commitment to the goal. You never had your eye off the prize. I am very happy for you. There is no feeling like it, is there? You are an Ironman! Incredible. I want to do another. How about you?
2011-12-03 8:53 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome Job Joanne....watched/stalked you all day and saw you cross the line   I'd say if you are going for another cold water swim then have Glen take you down cape to the national seashore for a bunch of cold water swims.  I dn'tthink I ahve ever seen the water over 55 there even in the middle of summer.  Lots of surf.  Good practice   Seriously impressive first IM!!!  Congrats
2011-12-05 9:34 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Congratulation Jo!!  You did a great job.  60 degrees brrr.....   I hope you enjoyed the journey and  the race. 
2011-12-05 9:50 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Now i'm trying to remember if we rode/ran together at all - and we MUST HAVE - what were you wearing?

2011-12-06 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3927555

User image

Master
Bronze member
BT tri top & black 2xu shorts.black armwarmers..cervelo p2, visor on the run with geeky compression black sox &my  clown neon orange/lime green newton shoes..lol...if I ever figure out how to resize pix i will post them!
2011-12-18 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3928860

User image

Master
CT

I just stumbled on your report!! Hadn't realized you'd done one...

Can i just say that you are a rock star!! 

You trained like a pro and raced like a pro!! 

Congrats to you ironwoman!!

2011-12-21 12:28 PM

User image

Congrat on finishing IMAZ.  And yes, that water was COLD.  I was in the lake few minutes longer than you

Good strong finsih, isis. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed