General Discussion Race Reports! » Pueblo's Rock Canyon Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pueblo's Rock Canyon Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pueblo, Colorado
United States
Southern Colorado Runners
28F / -2C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 42m 58s
Overall Rank = 84/558
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/44
Event warmup:

No real warm-up for this one. It was freezing outside with the wind. I waited until about 5 minutes before the start of the race to go outside.
Run
  • 1h 42m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't sure how I would do with this run, given that I had been sick the second half of the week and the fact that we awoke this morning to snow, and wind that pushed the temps down into the teens. However, I felt good at the start of the race and wound up performing better than I had imagined. There were several portions of the race where the wind was at my back and this made for some quicker times. I also decided to stick with a couple of runners that had passed me in the last mile. By staying in contact with them for as long as I could, I was able to push the pace in the last mile a little more than I would have otherwise been able to.
What would you do differently?:

For this race nothing really. I wound up running faster than I thought I'd be able to since I'd been sick, so I'm satisfied with the way I ran.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm down either. I went into the pavilion at city park to wait for my brother and my wife to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe the weather?

Event comments:

As the only real half-marathon between November and April, the Rock Canyon Half-Marathon can't be beat. The course today was a little treacherous but that's what you get for a race like this in December. I had a really good run today, and I was pleased with how everything went. I don't know if I'll run it every year, but I'm glad I did this morning.

Last updated: 2011-12-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:42:58 | 13.1 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/44
Overall: 84/558
Performance: Good
Course: The course includes two laps through City Park before dropping down onto the nature center trail. From there the race follows the bike path until just past the nature center. The majority of the rest of the race is run on trails that parallel the bike path all the way out to the reservoir. It is an out and back course that includes a steep climb within the last quarter of a mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-12-03 5:25 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Subject: Pueblo's Rock Canyon Half Marathon

2011-12-03 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3925020

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Pueblo's Rock Canyon Half Marathon

Excellent job Ted. I was pretty cold. Good while running... not so good after stopping. Way to keep pushing.

Hey, there is another HM in Colo Spgs Super bowl weekend.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pueblo's Rock Canyon Half Marathon Rss Feed