City of Cape Girardeau
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 48m 46s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Light stretching. Ate a banana, 1 bagel for breakfast.
Event warmup:

More light stretching, and a light jog for about a quarter.My heat didn't start until around 10:45 and about 9:30 I started to get hungry again. I ate a half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a half of a banana.
Swim
  • 08m 30s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Really good swim. I was third out of the pool for my heat. I really suprised myself with my swim time. When I got out of the pool and looked at the race clock and saw 8:30 and had to take a double take to make sure I was reading it right.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Everything went really well for the swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

Rough guess for the transition.
I need to bring a bucket with me next time. I got my shoes on relly quick, BUT I had some very small pebbles from the parking lot in my socks. I had to take them back off to get the pebbles out before they could become a problem later on in the course.

Bring a bucket. A towel wasn't enough to clean my feet off. I need to practice running barefoot on pavement to get used to the feel of small rocks under my feet.
Bike
  • 52m 50s
  • 15.8 miles
  • 17.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I had to battle a calf cramp from mile 3 on. I could have done better but on every pedal stroke, my right calf started cramping up. I just kept waiting for it to lock up but it never got to that point.I took a half of a GU gel avery 5 miles, and had a bottle of Gatorade, along with an Aero bottle with water on my aero bars.

I need to work on nutrition needs. I also need to attend a transition class to learn some ways to speed up my transition.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Rough guess for the transition.
I had a really good transition. Pactice helped. I know I can get faster. What can you expect from my first triathlon.Another thing that slowed me down was I had to change shirts. Due to the chilly temps, I wore a long sleeve shirt on the bike. The weather finally warmed while on the bike ride. So to avoid overhaeting, I changed to a short sleeve t-shirt.

I need to come out of my shoes before the dismount point.
Run
  • 41m 42s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I had to stop in the beginning of the run to try to work out the calf cramp I had. I took about a minute to work that out. It felt better but didn't finally leave until about mile 3. I had planned on doing an easy 9 min/mile, but my natural cadence put me right at an 8 min/mile. I had a nice sprint finish. I wasn't planning on it, but as they say, race as you train. I think it was an automatic reflex to seeing the finish line.

Not much,
Post race
Warm down:

nice easy walk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A huge calf cramp. I also had to battle with a Bento box that didn't fit right. I fixed that that night with a sewing machine.

Event comments:

The course workers were great. The were a couple of bottlenecks with vehicular traffic. In fact, the man in charge of the new timing chip system was hit by a van when he was on the bike leg (he was racing also) and had to be transported to the hospital. So there is going to be a delay with the spilt times.

Last updated: 2006-04-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:30 | 500 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Bike shorts
Course: 25 yard pool. There was about 16 lanes setup with 2 people in a lane. The pool was an outdoor pool with a big bubble over it for the winter months.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:52:50 | 15.8 miles | 17.94 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Extremely hilly. My bike speed had extremes from 6mph to 30mph. Every time you had a good downhill to make up some time from the cliff you just climbed, there was a sharp turn at the bottom you had to brake hard for. You had to keep your speed under check.I also threw a chain at about mile 11. That took about a minute to get back on. To the young guy that kapt playing rabbit for me, I appreciate the push. We passed each other back and forth 4 times. I would pass him and get about 100 meters in front of him, then he would pass me. Back and forth the entire course. It helped the miles fly by. Note to self: Make sure you put the rubber band around the Aero bottle when setting up the bike.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:42 | 05 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Again a very hilly course. I abpplaud the City of Cape Girardeau. I believe that they utilised every hill in their city for their triathlon.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes