Metro PCS Dallas White Rock Marathon
40F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 18m 17s
Overall Rank = 5063/9663
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 178/479
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4 am to eat normal bkfst. Picked up Emily (doing her first full marathon), around 5:15. Traffic was light and parking no problem. We made our way to the colliseum, and then over to the automobile bldg to chill.
Event warmup:

Walked most of the way to the start, then realized I really wanted my windbreaker jacket, so back to the auto bldg where I had stashed a bag, and then back to find my starting corral.
Run
  • 2h 18m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal for this race was a 2:00 finish. Knew that would be pushing it, but I wanted to give it a go. So I stalked the 2:00 pacers since they lined up right in front of me at the start. Lots of bobbing and weaving...the most crowded race I've ever been in. Who knew running was a contact sport? Jacket came off in mile 1 and I tied it around my waist. Gloves off shortly thereafter. For the first several miles, I really didn't enjoy the scenery much as I was so focused on that pace sign and getting around people.

Told myself I could let go of the jacket if I was on goal pace at 10K. I was, and everything was soaked and heavy by this time, and so "donated" it along the road. Took a quick walk break to eat a gel and drink a little in mile 7 after realizing that the pacers don't do water stations.

Course turned uphill and pace slowed a little, but I knew the last 4 miles were downhill, and was still on target overall. UNTIL....I stepped in a puddle, turned out to be a pothole at mile 9, sprained my ankle and fell. Runners behind me helped me up and wanted to make sure I was OK, but told them to go on and got over to the side. Initial pain took my breath away and I could barely talk to the police officer who came over to help. Settled down enough to put weight on it, and he said he could call a transport or there were some folks from Baylor a block up if I could make it there. Lady from the house by where I fell brought me a bottle of water. So sweet. Sag wagon happened to pull up at the next intersection and offered a ride, but I decided to try and make it to the baylor folks. Police office walked me there, and flagged a trainer over for me. She was kind enough to take me to her SUV and tape my ankle. Decided to try and walk it to the finish from there. Ankle was painful but some numbness set in and walking got cold quickly since I was soaked through, so tried running a little. Managed to walk a little, jog a little for the remaining 4 miles, and think I jogged most of the last mile.
What would you do differently?:

Other than the obvious of not step in a pothole and sprain my ankle? Would not have worn a jacket or the windbreaker type warmup pants in rainy conditions. They were so quickly waterlogged and heavy and did no good, and the jacket was too much anyway. Maybe "hold on loosely" to the pacers insted of trying so hard to stay right behind them...burned some energy on that.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a warming sheet at the finish line, and wow, those actually do help! Hobbled inside to get my finisher medal (yes, I wanted that damn medal), and shirt. Got VERY cold and was so very glad I had a checked bag with dry clothes waiting for me. Waited in the LONG line to the bathroom to change and talked to a nice gal who just moved to Dallas. Stood on top of my finishers shirt to keep my feet off the cold, wet floor while changing. Never used a finisher shirt quite that way, but whatever works. Lets just say it was a very long walk back to the car after that, ankle hurting and light rain falling. I even prayed one of those seemingly trivial prayers of "Lord, please help me find my car on the first try." He did, and I was on the road and glad it was my left ankle that was messed up so driving was not a problem.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A wrong step in a pothole. I'm left to wonder if I could have made my 2:00 goal were it not for the ankle. I truly think I could have and was feeling pretty strong, but my HR was high, so there is no way to know for sure. I did set a 10K PR during this race of 56:19, and am very pleased with the training I put in leading up to it.

Event comments:

I was truly overwhelmed by the kindess that total strangers extended to me. The runners who helped me up and would have stayed longer if I had let them, the police officer who made sure I was taken care of, the lady from the house who brought a bottle of water, the Baylor trainer who taped me up, and the overall volunteer and crowd support were all awesome, and my true takeaways. Instead of feeling defeated, I felt uplifted, grateful, and inspired to give back.

Last updated: 2011-07-15 12:00 AM
Running
02:18:17 | 13.1 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 178/479
Overall: 5063/9663
Performance: Good
Moving paces and HR's: Overall: 2:08:28 (168/184) - this is without the 10 minute stop to assess/regroup and tape a sprained ankle at mile 9. 1-9:11 (168/176) 2-9:01 (176/179) 3-8:51 (178/181) 4-9:03 (178/184) 5-8:56 (176/180) 6-8:58 (180/181) 7-9:23 (176/180) 8-9:00 (177/180) 9-9:44 (174/179) 10-11:38 (161/178) 11-11:59 (150/163) 12-11:17 (153/159) 13-10:21 (161/165) .1-10:12 (163/165)
Course: Relatively flat through neighborhoods and part of downtown area. Uphill a bit in mile 7, 8 ish neighborhood. Street conditions were dicey due puddles, poor drainage in spots, old pavement with ridges, potholes, trolley tracks, etc.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-12-06 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: Dallas White Rock Half Marathon

2011-12-06 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3927917

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: Dallas White Rock Half Marathon
Very proud of you.  Someday soon we will run a race together!
2011-12-06 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Thanks Marcy!  Yes, I'm looking forward to that day .
2011-12-07 9:53 PM

User image

DFW, Tejas
How do you get all the rotten luck?  I think I stepped in that same pothole  They were all covered with water..  Sorry to hear it hampered your progress.  Way to gut it out though.  Hopefully better weather at Cowtown!
2011-12-08 8:08 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Thanks John. Looks like I'm down for a bit to rehab the ankle, but plenty of time until Cowtown.  If it's raining there, I'm hiring you as my designated pothole spotter!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock Half Marathon Rss Feed