St. Jude Memphis Marathon
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 54m 43s
Overall Rank = 11/2364
Age Group = 35-39m
Age Group Rank = 2/257
Pre-race routine:

Wake at 6. Shower, coffee 2 mini cinnamon and brown sugar bagels, JIF peanut butter on the go.
Our hotel was within a few hundred yards of start line, so we hung there until about 7:40 stretching using the bathroom etc.
Took a gel about 7:40.
Event warmup:

Walk to start line and stretch a bit more.
Run
  • 2h 54m 43s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 06m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was sub 2:55. I wanted an automatic NYC before they tighten their standards. I felt it was now or never. I had followed Pfitz multiple marathon plan with 12 weeks between marathons, coming off my HIM 12 weeks ago. I averaged about 60 MPW during the weeks leading up. Except for the beginning of a head cold, I felt great as I lined up in corral #2 right behind the elites. The weather was a perfect 49 and overcast as we started.
My plan was to go out a little slower than goal pace and progressivley pick up the pace. However, I still wanted to come close to even splits. I was very nervous about starting out too fast and falling apart near the end as I knew 2:55 was the upper limit of my range. Anyway, to the race...

If you don't think you're going to slow in the first miles, then you're going too fast, I tried to keep reminding myself of this adage, however, I didn't want to go too slow, so I wouldn't have to make up too much time.
Mile 1 6:49 I hold a perfect pace here as the excitement mounts.
mile 2 6:37 Slight downhill here as we head down Riverside Dr beside the beautiful Mississippi
Mile 3 6:47 Pace remains good up a slight hill on Beale St
Mile 4 6:31 Didn't plan this fast but here the route goes through the St Jude campus. The atmosphere is absolutely unbeleivable. I'm high fiving as many people as I can and enjoying running for these kids. Again, it's hard to put into words.
Mile 5 6:35 Still amped from St Jude
Mile 6 6:52 Trying to settle back into a rythym
Mile 7 6:41 After a conservative start, the plan is to settle into goal pace for the next several miles, then hopefully increase the pace after the halfway point
Mile 8 6:42 we wind through the zoo
Mile 9 6:43 Settling into a nice pace
Mile 10 6:39 There 2 very young girls running the half who I run with here. they have a perfect pace going
Mile 11 6:40 Heading back downtown towards where the halfers break off
Mile 12 6:38 Halfers break off, things get lonely. The motivation for the next 13 miles will be trying to pick off runners in front one by one.
Mile 13 6:34
1:28:18 at the halfway point. So, I've got 48 seconds to make up form 6:40 MP over 13 miles. I figure I need to average 6:35 from here on out. I'm feeling pretty good here, so I decide to go harder. i start passing people.
Mile 14 6:32 heading back out of downtown
Mile 15 6:34
Mile 16 6:35 I see two guys ahead of me who I know are trying for 2:55. I make it a point to catch them. They both are on the local elite tri team. This is the best motivation ever.
Mile 17 6:31
Mile 18 6:28 Still trying to catch those guys and I'm closing in. A spectator tells me I'm number 14, which I don't think is correct, but this motovates me as well. I decide to try to get top 10 as I'm still feeling pretty good.
Mile 19 6:33 Now I'm running with the guys I'm trying to catch
Mile 20 6:27 I pass the 2 guys. Now is when the race starts. i start using my upper body to force my legs to follor
Mile 21 6:27
Mile 22 6:27
Mile 23 6:28 I had no idea until typing this report that I ran these 4 miles as strong as I did. It's all in my head now, because I am starting to tire. I realize here that 2:55 is possible but I can't let up too much
Mile 24 6:33 Just hang on. I know I'm slowing. I hope not too much
Mile 25 6:45 I feel a bit light headed, hands kinda numb. Hang on. I knew I was slowing. When 6:45 mile showed on my garmin I was surprised that I had slowed this much
Mile 26 6:56 Uh oh, slowest mile yet. Push it! However, I pass 3 more guys in the last mile. This continues to motivate me.
  • 37 2:30 I sprint to the finish to come in at 2:54:43

• 1:26:25nd half. I'm very happy with the negative split.
    Mission accomplished.
    Grab a water and medal and try to find my wife who's running the half.

What would you do differently?:

Not much
    Post race
    Warm down:

Stretch a bit. Talk to friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe went too hard miles 20-24 and therefore faded the last 2 miles.

Event comments:

I love the marathon. The psychological roller coaster over 26 miles and 3 hours is awesome! I love my local marathon too.

Now on to NYC as a result of this qualifying. I'm signed up for Boston too. I think I might go ahead and try to do Chicago and go for the Boston-Chicago-NYC trifecta.

Last updated: 2011-12-06 12:00 AM
    Running
    02:54:43 | 26.2 miles | 06m 40s  min/mile
    Age Group: 2/257
    Overall: 11/2364
    Performance: Good
    Course: Loop from downtown through midtown, then back downtown. Then basically reverse it. I knew this course well. 7th time here, plus the half once.
    Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Good
    Mental exertion [1-5] 5
    Physical exertion [1-5] 5
    Good race? Yes
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Just right
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? Yes
    Plenty of drinks? Yes
    Post race activities: Good
    Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
    2011-12-06 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Olive Branch, MS
    Subject: St. Jude Memphis Marathon

2011-12-06 3:12 PM
    in reply to: #3928123

User image

Pro
    Bartlett, TN
    Subject: RE: St. Jude Memphis Marathon
    Great job and Great race!
    2011-12-06 4:04 PM
    in reply to: #3928123

User image

Veteran
    Mississippi
    Subject: RE: St. Jude Memphis Marathon

Once again, awesome race. That's an impressive performance, especially given the uphill gain from 15-20 and the temps at the end.

We still haven't figured out how to do 15-20...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Jude Memphis Marathon Rss Feed