General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deconstructing LT with race numbers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-06 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Deconstructing LT with race numbers

I'm brand new to training with LT and heart rate so apologies if this is elementary knowledge.  I'm curious as to how my HR over the course of my half mary Sunday correlates with my LT test from a couple weeks ago. 

LT is broken down in my training log but came out at 165.  The test was done on tired training legs but I felt I ran the test as indicated, finishing completely spent.  Ran the race on RPE and here's a basic rundown of my HR trend.

5k average was 154

At the 4 mile mark I broke into the 160s with a 163 avg over the next 5k.  From 10k to finish I averaged 164 with a short fall off around mile 11 down around 159-160. 

So, what can I learn from this?  I started a bit slow due to the congestion which explains the first 5k.  More interesting to me is the ability to maintain a 163 overall avg on a 165 LT but like I said, I'm new to all this.  Is it normal to run so close to LT due to race adrenalin coupled with a taper or as my LT test not the most accurate?  I went into it thinking I would see around a 156 average.

2011-12-06 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3928631

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: RE: Deconstructing LT with race numbers

You can't really learn too much from this.

The reason is that HR will vary dramatically under various conditions.  For instance if I have any food in my stomach when I work out my HR is about 8bpm higher at a given pace than when I'm empty.

Caffeine beforehand? 10bpm difference.

Hot weather? 15bpm difference.

Even though we use HR because it's easy to monitor, what your 20 minute LT test effort also does for you is it tells you what actual running speed is your LT pace.  It's more consistent to use that pace as your guideline.  Just not as convenient...since pace will vary a lot by terrain and weather conditions too.

2011-12-06 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3928631

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Deconstructing LT with race numbers
You need a lot of practice looking at stuff like this. I don't mean that you are not qualified, I mean that by looking at your paces & thoughtfully evaluated them and asking questions as you are ...you'll learn a lot and learn your body better.

Technically a half marathon is run below LT pace. It's fairly common for your HR to increase in the last half of a long (2-4 hr) effort. Google "Heart rate decoupling". Since the first 5k of your half mary was not run "all out", you can't really make much of it, except possibly to calculate what %age of your 20 min test you ran your first 5k at...and if that felt like a sustainable pace for a half mary, you've got a little bit of knowledge about how you exectued your race, can create future race strategies from it. .

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deconstructing LT with race numbers Rss Feed