General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman in med school? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-12-16 2:51 AM
in reply to: #3933165

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Ironman in med school?
If most weeks until June will be like you said, it is doable. You'll have to do a few long bike rides (4-5 hours). But with injuries history, don't increase your training volume in June too much. And you can easily overtrain.

2011-12-16 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3940662

User image

Master
Central Indiana

swima - 2011-12-15 10:39 PM This is so tough. Part of me is still thinking i might want to do it. I just don't want to let it get in the way of studying at all. I'm wondering if i 100% put training second and train as I normally do now, (1hr run or 1hr bike per day, every day) and then add more on one day of the weekend until june and THEN from June 3rd i think it is, until (i guess i would pick louisville bc its the latest and 2nd yr starts sept 3rd) i would train really hard (minus a short taper at the end). So if i really only train intensively during june-august is that do-able? I have no true sense of how difficult the beast that is the full ironman truly is. 

You just answered your own question. 

2011-12-22 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3933261

User image

Champion
Fred D - 2011-12-10 7:04 AM
swima - 2011-12-10 12:26 AM

Hi,

I'm wondering what is pretty much the least amount of training required to finish an IM in a decent finish time? I'm in med school right now (first year med student) and I would like to try to do IMLP this summer.. i think you can still sign up via ironman foundation spots?? I don't know how much training ill be able to get in, but id love to do one with my "last" free summer i have before entering the world of full time medicine. Id like to give you some of my history to set you up. Any input would be great.

Bear with me for the long post..

I'm 22yo, 5'1, 100lb female, pretty decent athlete. I've done 3 HIMs..including IM 70.3 providence, syracuse, and i qualified for and competed in the IM 70.3 world champs in clearwater in 2010 with a finish time of 5:04. I'm a college swimmer (/swam all my life) and Ive ran a bunch of half marathons and just finished my first marathon in Nov (Philly) at 3:28. 

I am VERY prone to injuries (which could also impact IM training)..have had 7 different stress fractures in my tibias throughout the past 5yrs and cannot do incredibly intense running many days in a row, but should be fine with biking/swimming. I just finished my first marathon without having ran for an entire 6 weeks before the race due to a sfx (I elliptical-ed and biked for a mo) and still managed to finish in 3:28. My sfx has healed now and I am back running again. 

So, I would really like to do an IM, i have been bitten by the bug now that I've done the 3 70.3s and have the marathon under my belt. What i would be able to do realistically in terms of training is bike or run for a hour most days (an 1hr1/2 on days my workload is "lighter" (that's saying something!)) during the week, and then a long run or long bike on the weekend. I'm not too worried about the swim training, so ill definitely get in the pool, but just sort of throw it in there a few times a week (I won't not swim of course, but D1 swimming in college should hopefully make that ok). Unfortunately though, on test weeks there will be serious cutbacks in my training, so I'm really worried I can't do it bc I won't be able to fit in as training as you should put in. This would continue until June and then for the 2nd half of june till the end of july...id really put in intense training once classes are over. 

Thoughts? Can i do an IM, with minimal training? I do have a goal of just finishing, but not pathetically finishing. 

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading if you still are! Any thoughts are appreciated. 

It can be done, there was someone who did it at IMLP this year while in med school.

If you are asking for permission, then I don't think you need to do that.

If you are asking whether it's a good idea, then only you know the answer to that one.

I am a physician and *I* would not have done it in med school. Not a chance, but that's me, and I had almost no free time while I was in school.

*my* biggest worry about you is the stress fracture history in the past and attempting a minimal training effort for the IM, I am less worried about medical school as that is a personal thing, and you are probably more aware of what free time you will actually have. The hardest part of IM is getting to the start line healthy without serious injury.... and my guess is that will be your biggest thing to worry about.

I'm a bit late to the discussion but I'm who Fred was referring to above. I did IMLP and finished in around 14:02 at the end of my second year of medicine. I didn't quite achieve my goal time, but I feel I finished solidly. I have a similar background as you, I swam varsity my first few years of undergrad (Bsc and Med School at UofA, Edmonton, Alberta). You can look back at my logs from the last year if you want to see what I was able to fit in--there were a few times that sacrifices had to be made to study for sure, but for the most part I was able to keep a relatively high training volume up. That being said I literally had no time for anything else--I hardly went out, I was in bed by 9pm pretty much every Fri/Sat night, had limited involvement with other extra-curriculars and so on. The worst month for me was May probably because we write an exam similar to the USMLE part 1 up here in Canada (just more school based vs a standardized national exam), so time management became critical to fit in training. I found my schedule to be fairly predictable in 1st and 2nd year so that made training easy--from what I have discovered about clerkship thus far, not so predictable and much harder to say you will get that session in after work when you don't get out till 8pm and have to be back at 6am. 

Basically I agree that it is possible and only you can decide what you are willing to sacrifice for the IM. I don't feel it significantly impacted my grades and I have rarely gotten anything but positive feedback from my preceptors about my level of preparation,etc. I agree with some of the others that your injury history is what I think would hold you back, because if you really want to do an IM, you can make the time within your schedule to do it. I'm currently on prob close to a 7 year hiatus from IM--I'm considering Emergency so maybe in my 4th year of residency I can do another one??? But for now I'm sticking to HIM distance and below where tri is concerned.

Good luck! If you have any questions feel free to PM me! Now back to studying for my Obs/Gyn final and OSCE!!

2011-12-22 6:00 PM

Good luck on the exams! 

Thanks for the reply!...I think, even though I really appreciate what everyone has said so far, that I'm going to do it this summer. I'm doing pretty well in medical school so far, and I already train a good amount, so I think I am prepared to step it up in the process of the training and still not let my classes suffer at all. I hope I'm not making a bad decision, but I really would like to do one, and I don't see myself ever having time after this summer. I barely trained for my first HIM or even my first marathon, and still did fine. I'm aware that an ironman is an entirely different beast obviously, but I hope to still finish decently. My goal is to just finish, (well, within a reasonably respectable time) maybe not the ironman equivalent of my 5:04 HIM, but decent. Its going to be incredibly difficult, but I am up for the challenge of making both work. 

2011-12-22 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3950566

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-12-23 10:08 AM

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I have actually thought about this a lot. What someone else said earlier is true; you will have more time than you think during the first couple of years of med school. I remember while I was doing it that I felt completely overwhelmed, but in retrospect, I have never had more time since. There is time to train two hours per day and still do med school (but not a lot else).

I still stand by my advice that your grades/board scores will help determine the rest of your life but I believe you can do this and still do well.

2011-12-23 7:25 PM

I'm getting in this discussion late as well- as a person who is finishing their medical training and getting back into the sport. Actually the final year of fellowship is going to have fewer hours of work for me- no call, no weekends, 50-60 hour weeks after about 9 years of 100 hour weeks (Duty hours exist only on paper). If you have the ability to get moderate training in and not hurt your Step scores, then go for it. If you want a high end specialty for your career- make sure you stay in the top end of your class and be very cognizant of this during your training.
2011-12-24 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3950601

Fred D - 2011-12-22 6:28 PM
swima - 2011-12-22 7:00 PM

I think, even though I really appreciate what everyone has said so far, that I'm going to do it this summer.

No worries, I knew you were going to do it anyway.

The question gets asked a LOT on this forum.... not specifically about medical school, but rather whether they should do an IM or HIM or whatever.

IME, when people are asking the question, they have internally already decided to go ahead with it. It really doesn't matter what the answers are (and in fact I think you got a lot of really insightful answers here) the person almost always goes for it. Then we get into a discussion among the regulars here whether encouraging people to 'go for it' is always a good thing or not.

It follows a standardized pattern do these sorts of questions, and I actually tend to ignore most of them, but chimed in myself as I am a physician and wanted to add my 2 cents to someone who will be a future member of my profession.

I wish you the best!

Yes, I knew you were going to do it anyway!  This thread has brought a lot of nostalgia! Wannabefaster it is true, we really did study 12 hours a day!.. but like you were saying heck, we could still train 2 hours on top of 12 hours of studying but, yes, not have time for much else. What a great break from studying is S/B/R.  True, right now many of us work for 24 or 36 hours stretches at a time and still train.  Adding kids on top of that is a real doozy, too.

GOOD LUCK swima! Lake Placid is a dreamy place, you will love it

2011-12-24 10:09 PM

Thanks!
2011-12-25 9:24 AM

Expert

I am also late to the discussion and have come nowhere near an IM, but I did do medical school with 2 small children and faced many questions about how I managed to do everything.  As many have said, it's very individual.  I actually found med school very manageable, and I did quite well and ended up in my first choice residency.  I think a lot of this was because I was more mature than many of my classmates- I didn't go out on the weekends, I didn't get sucked in to the social drama, and I was efficient with my work and study time.  If you are focused on IM training and aren't worried about the social life, you may be just fine (in fact you may find that you are more efficient if you have to work hard to fit it all in).  I would just go in to it with some mental flexibility, and be willing to drop the IM if it's interfering with school or your health (and I am SURE that you know this but make sure you are maintaining a high enough weight for your health- I had a med school classmate die of anorexia so I feel compelled to mention it).  Good luck in both, and have fun!

2012-01-04 1:36 PM

Veteran
, New York

I know this is late, but I agree with E-Dub also.  I'm currently training for IMLP and am a neuroscience Ph.D grad student.  I have very similar time constraints to you, but training for an IM is definitely do-able if you really want it.  I also agree that although you're busy now, chances are you're never going to have tons of free time as an MD either.  I decided to train for one this year because although I'm busy, I know that after I'm done with grad school I'll be busy with post doc, then finding a job, etc., plus will probably have more family commitments in the future.

What I do to fit everything in is I always try to get a workout in in the morning.  This way, no matter how busy my day is, I at least got one workout in.  I also multi-task.  If I have a exam to study for, I put some of my notes in paper protectors (so I don't sweat on them!) and read them while biking on my trainer or running on a treadmill.  That way I don't have to sacrifice school work.   Or I review notes, then go for a swim and think about a different part for each lap (did this while having to remember all the cranial nerves, each lap was a different nerve).  

So I think its definitely possible, but only if you really enjoy it.  If training just adds another stress on you, then it will be difficult to keep up, but I find that it gives me a way to de-stress after long days, which makes me look forward to my workouts most of the time.    

2012-01-04 2:44 PM

Master
Wow, a lot of docs here. I'm really late to the discussion, but I generally agree with those saying "Don't think there will be more time later."

When I was in law school I remember thinking "I'm so busy I could never do anything more than what I'm doing now to get through this." Then I got in to practice and realized that I had no idea what busy actually was. As I look back on that educational experience it was time consuming and stressful, but with good planning I could have IM trained as well. I did it while in practice after all.

I don't know that the law school experience translates well to the med school experience. But generally a busy professional life will probably offer less time than being a student will.
2012-01-08 9:10 PM

Fox Valley, Wisconsin

WOW, what a great thread, and tons of good advice. I must start with, I am no Doctor and have never been through the schooling. I have no clue on the amount of hours spent studying or the time it will take up. The one thing I can respond to is: Never regret. In the last year I have seen  many many lives lost and shattered in a milli-second. The thing I always ask myself, would they have changed anything in the last year or so if they, some my close friends, knew what thier future held.

This may sound stupid but you never know what the good LORD has planned for you. I say be very efficient and prioritize your time wisley and DO IT.

I have never done an IM yet, but I can guarentee sometime in 2012 I will accomplish it. It is just something that I must do. I'm actually trying to convince one of my partners who was severly injuried, 30 percent right frontal lobe removed, to let me swim, bike and run him to the finish in a oly or sprint. Right now he is convinced he will do it on his own. It is going to be a very long and tough road for him but I pray everyday he has the ability and chance to do it.

JUST DO IT

2012-01-19 9:13 AM

Extreme Veteran

One more thought to throw in the mix: I think heavy training hurts my cognitive capacity. I feel decidedly less sharp for the rest of the day after a tough/long training session, and I think the cumulative fatigue of IM training makes for cumulative cognitive fatigue, in me anyway. I'm a grad student, and when I look back on my work from last summer, when I was in the depths of IM training, I notice more mistakes than usual. My guess is that it's reduced glucose supply to the brain because it's being syphoned off by depleted muscles -- I'd love to see a study on it. If you do decide to do it, check out Don Fink's book, the training plans are great, and the subtitle about time efficiency reflects some of the content. Good luck!

2012-01-19 3:28 PM

Veteran
, New York

Neweyes-actually, most studies show quite the opposite.  Exercise increases the supply of key growth factors to the brain, which actually increases plasticity (aka the ability to create new synapses and theoretically form new memories) and even stimulates neural stem cells to proliferate. Heres an example (if you're at a university you should be able to access the article I believe): http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006899311018403  In fact, the most common method of actually increasing neurogenesis in mice is simply adding a running wheel to their cage.

However, there is a lack of studies on heavy exercise reminiscent of IM training (which would theoretically increase corticosteriods higher than moderate exercise and decrease positive effects on cognition), but this effect may be cancelled out by the increased stress (and corticosteriod production) of mice/rats being forced to exercise in many studies, instead of exercising for their own enjoyment.

...and I will now step off my neuroscientist soapbox.  Embarassed

2012-01-19 5:39 PM
in reply to: #4000166

Extreme Veteran

Well, there are many studies that show physiological changes and improvement of affective state, but on cognitive function the evidence is less clear. The study you link says exercise "upregulat(es) proteins related to cognitive ... function," but that's quite different than improving cognitive function. I suspect there are many variables that complicate the issue, certainly depth of fatigue/glycogen depletion is an important one. Here's a review that says dehydration from extended exercise causes decline in cognition and memory: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0001691802001348It's certainly possible that was my problem, though I'm pretty good about hydration in general.

I'd be curious to hear what other IMers think.... how is your clarity of thought (separate from mood) during peak training?

2012-01-20 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3940662

I am in my first year of medical school and in the process of training for Vineman in late July. I am using the ever popular Be Ironfit book and following the competitive program. I am 3 weeks in so only about 8 hours of training weekly but I see no reason why I will not be able to handle the build up to 16 hours before my summer break as most of the additional hours go towards the weekend workouts. I chose Vineman because it allows me to do all of my peak phase during the summer break away from school which starts mid-May.I live alone with my dog, cook all my meals, do my own laundry, etc.The real key for me is doing early morning workouts. I usually wake up around 5 and am out the door riding or running by 530 which gives me plenty of time to have a good breakfast and stretch still before class at 8. Twice a week I have a swim session as well which I will do after classes and then I have the entire evening to study. On weekends, I again get my workouts in early and am ready to start studying at the same time if not earlier than my classmates are waking up giving me the entire day to study again. I have an exam every Monday and some weeks another later in the week and I have found this system works great for me.Some things that really help are cooking in bulk and studying at home so I can toss some laundry in/out during a study break or do other cleaning.If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
2012-01-23 2:59 AM
in reply to: #4001446

Pegasus1731    a member on here, did 13.1, 26.2, 70.3 & 140.6 in one year during her med school.  She might be a good one to search out and ask questions.  Also

Edited by Puppetmaster 2012-01-23 3:08 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman in med school? Rss Feed  

of 2