Foot Traffic
39F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 19m 51s
Overall Rank = 1882/1949
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 222/228
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off at 6:30, hit the snooze 3 times, and finally hauled my arse up at 7. Got dressed, made coffee and ate 3 gingerbread men. Had no other breakfast items in house. Rode bike over to Adidas HQ with about 15 minutes to spare.
Event warmup:

Just rode the bike over, it's about a 10 min ride ~2.2 miles or so. Locked up bike and walked over to the side of the arch. It was pretty cold, so I tried to keep moving until the horn went off.
Run
  • 3h 19m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 15m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I started with a 1/2 mile jog to get warmed up and to get myself out of the mass of people. Then I switched to a 1/4 mile run / 1/4 mile walk routine. I kept a fairly even pace with the exception of mile 6, and after mile 11. I hit water/electro/gel combo at mile 4. Really should have grabbed a couple of extra gels here...Mile 5-6.75 I was having horrible intestinal distress, and basically did the poo-poo walk until I could hit a portaloo. TMI I know, but then I released the kraken and felt MUCH better. That could've been way more disasterous than it was, so yay for that. As soon as I left the toilet I took off trying to make up a little time. It felt like I was in there forever, but probably only 2:30 or so. I was looking foward to another gel at mile 8, but when I reached the aid station they were out... and barely had any electro left. I continued on a pretty even pace til mile 10.75 when I was looking forward to another gel opportunity - and again they were out. I probably had about 3-4 cups of water, and 3-4 cups of electro the entire race, maybe less. Wasn't thirsty at all, probably due to the temperatures and slow pace. I started fading after that last major aid station and started walking a bit more. Overall I probably ran about half of the course - not bad for no runs over about 3 miles for the past 4+ weeks, and 5 or so weeks since an 8 miler.
What would you do differently?:

Put some emergency gels in my pocket and/or pick up extra gels at the first aid station, in case they run out at later stations.

Have multiple cups of coffee to insure things are moving properly pre-race.

Obviously actually train for the half mary distance. I feel pretty good about having 10 solid slow miles on the running that I did do though.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a few cups of water, beer, soup, couple corn breads. Got a free 1/2 gallon of egg nog from the nog table. There are a few benefits to being BOP!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of proper build miles. Did not follow a half mary plan as I'm in the process of ramping up my run from ground zero. Still had some miles left in me from the Mary training though... One day I will be faster!

Event comments:

I like this race a lot, but the fact that there were no gels after mile 8 SUCKED. I think my last few miles would've been a lot stronger with some fuel in the system. That said and despite going 20 minutes slower than last year I feel pretty good about this race. I know that may sound weird to some of you - I mean 15:15 pace is pretty crappy, but starting up from ground zero on the running and having zero long runs under my belt, well I'm feeling pretty stoked at what this might mean towards races next year. I should have been doing this run build up at the beginning of last year! The atmosphere of this race is a ton of fun, the costumes are great, and the carolers enthusiastic (although there were a lot fewer than last year), so I'll be back next year for PR (ya know after I conquer the PDX Mary!).

Last updated: 2011-11-21 12:00 AM
Running
03:19:51 | 13.1 miles | 15m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/228
Overall: 0/1949
Performance: Below average
see training log 1882. Kirstin Hargie Portland, OR 2109 F 41 3:19:51 15:15 222 / 228 1882 /1949 1341 /1403 3:20:42 15:19 0:51
Course: Mostly flat with a couple of dips to St. Johns neighborhood and back. I run parts of the course frequently so i'm familiar with the area pretty well.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes