Ironman North America
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 48m 36s
Overall Rank = 1184/3000
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 247/
Pre-race routine:

Woke around 4 AM. Ate:oatmeal, pbj, Mtn Dew. Got the gang up and moving arrived at transition around 6am. Sipped on gatorade while putting nutrition on bike and taking care of special needs ect. Last goodbyes to the gang, powerbar gel and headed to the water.
Event warmup:

Swimming out to start.
Swim
  • 1h 29m
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the one moment of my day I was dreading the most. It turned out it wasn't that bad.Water felt great temp wise, warmer than Mittry lake where I trained. I jumped in and swam just under the bridge to the far right and hung out on a ledge for 10 - 15 min before the start. When the canon went off there was a 15 to 20 sec delay and then I just fell in with those around me. I felt comfortable the whole time and had minimal contact the whole way. 2 or 300 meters in as I went by the floating dock I actually had to stand and walk 20 or 30 ft it was so shallow. (Didn't see that coming) Felt good all the way to the turn around. Ran into a pile up there as someone looked to be panicking and everyone was trying to get help for the person. Once I started back immediately got a cramp in my right calf. Flexed it as I swam and pretty much kept it at bay. Seemed choppier on the way back and much more zig zagging. made the turn for home and was finally out
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. This is my slowest discipline. My masters was interrupted by out of town work just as I was making strides. This time was right where my Training said I would be. Low hanging fruit here.
Transition 1
  • 05m 57s
Comments:

Little trouble getting suit off. Jogged in, found bag, took seat outside tent,tried to be calm but deliberate.Didn't wear socks and don't change clothes at all. Helmet, shoes, Garmin on wrist. Volunteer repacked bag. On my way!

Not much, little faster to transition. I don't wear socks or change clothes at all. Putting on garmin and turning it on probably was the longest thing.Sure I can find some time here somewhere.
Bike
  • 6h 00m 29s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Hoping for 6 - 6:15. Ride felt good I thought a little conservative. Some wind on the 2nd and 3rd loops. 1st loop fastest. 3rd loop faster than the 2nd which surprised me. nutrition: one 1200 cal bottle of infinite, 3 powerbar gels, 5 salt pills and top off aero bottle with water at aid stations, 1000 mg ibuprfen. I think that was pretty spot on. One problem was the wheels I rented from Race Day Wheels (808, Disk) Great wheels loved them but the break on the front was so touchy it would almost lock up. I test rode on the course a few days before but didn't notice it until I was breaking with my left hand only at aid stations while trying to get bottles with my right hand. It was almost impossible to modulate. I had to slow way down before the aid station. It did cause one lady to use some choice words but we worked it out soon after. Other than that felt great all day. Seen my gang along the way. One of my best rides.

Some more volume in training is a common theme throughout. Work once again killed my weekday riding but I did get 3 100 mile rides in and several 75 mi or longer. I ride a P-2, rented race wheels and aero lid so those boxes were checked. My fit was by salesman at Tribe Multi-sport and I was aero for 80-85% of the ride. Neck was sore later in the week but not terrible. May check into more aggressive fit. Mostly more volume, I think I can do some damage here.
Transition 2
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

pretty happy here usually do flying dismount but decided against it with the crowd and bike handlers. Seemed risky.

Change garmin to next discipline while on bike.
Run
  • 5h 10m 3s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out on the run and didn't really know what to expect.Didn't keep nutrition plan together. Stopped taking gels, salt everything but water from mile one and just didn't realize it at the time. Felt good from mile 3 - 11. At 11 I could really feel it coming apart.Started walking aid stations. Started with coke and water around mi 18 and broth coke and water on last lap.Slow Jogged most of the last lap and just savored the moment coming in the chute. Had it all to myself and just got lost in it. Loved it!!

Run training averaged 18 - 26 mpw most weeks. Some more some less. Had 8 wks at 40 mpw. Was hoping for under 5hrs but got what I trained for. More FREQUENCY is the plan this year.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt pretty good. Got my medal.Warmed down with fries and pizza. Then back to rental house had some celebratory(SP?)drinks then off to bed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Went right where I thought my training would put me. Predicted 13 if no problems. So even with that crappy run I am still very happy.

Event comments:

My first year of triathlon and only started running march of 2010. I raced two olys one 70.3 and IMAZ. I wouldn't necessarily advocate for that plan but it worked out. I improved all year long never had an injury and had a blast along the way. Looking at 2013 for my return to IMAZ. Lots to learn along the way. I'm HOOKED

Last updated: 2011-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:29:00 | 4224 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 348/
Overall: 1763/3000
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: rectangle out and back
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:00:29 | 112 miles | 18.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 247/
Overall: 1137/3000
Performance: Good
HR avg 150 BIKE SPLIT 1: 37.4 mi 37.4 mi (1:57:29) 19.10 mi/h BIKE SPLIT 2: 74.6 mi 37.2 mi (2:03:21) 18.09 mi/h BIKE SPLIT 3: 112 mi 37.4 mi (1:59:39) 18.75 mi/h TOTAL BIKE 112 mi (6:00:29) 18.64 mi/h
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loops
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:10:03 | 26.2 miles | 11m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 247/
Overall: 1184/3000
Performance: Below average
RUN SPLIT 1: 2.5 mi 2.5 mi (24:39) 9:51/mi RUN SPLIT 2: 11.5 mi 9 mi (1:35:01) 10:33/mi RUN SPLIT 3: 20 mi 8.5 mi (1:46:47) 12:33/mi RUN SPLIT 4: 26.2 mi 6.2 mi (1:23:36) 13:29/mi TOTAL RUN 26.2 mi (5:10:03) 11:50/mi
Course: 3 laps around Tempe Twn lake
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?