General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Super Seal Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-15 10:13 PM

Subject: Super Seal

Anyone ever done either the sprint or olympic distance?  I have done a couple sprints but was thinking of moving up to olympic and was wondering if this would be a good one for the first time at that distance.??

Thank you in advance!

2011-12-21 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3940683

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Super Seal

Hi there!  I think moving up to Olympic distance is a great decision!  I wouldn't worry about how difficult your first one will be.  I'd focus on getting the necessary training and mental preparation.  Study the course and train accordingly. =)

For me, my first Oly was Magic Mountain Man (M3) this year and it's considered to be one of the more difficult ones due to the horrendous bike segment and the somewhat unflat run in 90F temps.  I learned alot from that race, mainly how to manage my nutrition better during the bike.  I didn't refuel well and cramped during the run which killed my goal time by 13 minutes.  >.<

I've recently looked up that race and MAYBE I'll sign up for their SuperFrog race happening late September.

2011-12-23 8:50 AM

User image

Canyon Lake, CA

This would be great for your first Oly distance.  The course is flat and flatter...not a hill to be seen anywhere. The swim is saltwater, but it is in the bay and no waves or current.  The bike is on a closed smooth road and the run is on the bike trails.  Although if I remember, the first part of the run is on the beach trail but its a trail, no sand running.

On the downside the transition area was very crowded. Bike racks were too close together, (I actually had to lift my bike up and over a guy who was sitting changing his shoes); and too many athletes put on one rack.  Of course, not enough porta-potties. I dont remember seeing any in fact, you had to use the beach facilities.  I also remember only one aid station on the run, none on the bike. Volunteers were great though.

I hope I dont dissuade you from this event, it was alot of fun, and for your first Oly, it should be perfect.

2011-12-26 9:31 PM

Thank you both for the responses. Adstar thank you for the honesty. It won't discourage me though....I did a couple races last year that had crowded transition areas. It isn't ideal of course however since I have the heads up it is easier to prepare for, so thank you!!

2011-12-27 2:25 PM

SoCal

Do it!

I'll be doing the Oly. Right now it's my first race for the year.

2011-12-30 11:59 PM

Thank you all for the responses, I am now registered. Laughing Now to train..I am already nervous!

Edited by KarKomi 2011-12-31 12:00 AM

2012-01-02 9:58 PM
in reply to: #3963196

I've done this race 3 times as an individual and once in a relay. The swim is 1500m in a calm bay. It's a dog-legged course (5 turn buoys) so sighting should be practiced. There's a good little run into transition, so a tip would be to work on stripping your wetsuit off before you run. It's going to be a little easier to remove while you and your suit are still wet and also, well, try and run 400m in a wetsuit and see how you feel.

The ride is 40k on the Silver Strand highway. There is an incline, and I hesitate calling it a hill, but you will feel its presence. What you will feel most notably is the side wind coming from the ocean. The only aid station is at the top of the 'incline' at the turn around.  You encounter it twice.

The run is 10k and you'll encounter semi-hard pack sand in the first 2 miles. Afterwards it's a straight run to a turnaround point along a bike path. The only aid is at this point.  Cool thing is you can mark your competition and time how far in front (or behind) you are from them based on the turn since they will be coming straight at you. After the turn, it's less than 3 miles to the finish.  It's all flat with a slight down grade in the last mile.  There's a final turn and ~600m to the finish.

I have gps data if you'd like to see it.  Best of luck!

2012-02-09 8:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange County

I did this race last year as my first OLY after having a few sprints under my belt and I will be there again this year. 

It is a great first OLY.  As everyone said, there is no surf to fight through in the swim and the bike and run course are dead flat.  There was a stretch on the bike with some noticeable headwinds, but not too bad.  I'm pretty sure I did the whole bike in the large front ring.

Quite a hike from the end of the swim to T1.  Taking the wetsuit off at the beach as someone suggested is a good idea. 

Stay at the Leows hotel if you can.  Very convenient for the race.

2012-02-10 10:38 PM

Thank you for all the responses. I went to the area to check out what the run would look/feel like, it is a bit of a run so thank you everyone for that advice too!

If the person that offered the GPS could send it I would be very greatful!

Thanks again everyone!

2012-02-27 6:24 PM
in reply to: #4041571

User image

Lake Forest, CA

SuperSeal (Oly) will be my first Tri.  Hope to see you there.

2012-02-28 11:30 AM

User image

New user

Anaheim Hills
Super Seal will be my first Oly as well.

2012-02-29 3:45 PM

Good to see that there will be other first timers (Oly) out there with me. I just got the race confirmation flyer in the mail yesterday.

Hope to see everyone on race day, and GOOD LUCK!!

2012-03-12 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4073644

User image

Regular
I will be there, doing it as my second Oly. I did the sprint last year and loved it. The only thing I remember that I DIDN'T like was that the water was so freaking cold!  I think it was about 58 degrees. I was cold for for a while, even in my wetsuit, but then warmed up by the first buoy.  I am looking forward to doing this again, this time the Oly.
2012-03-12 11:46 AM

User image

Lake Forest, CA

Weather forecast shows rain.Frown  Just my luck.

Oh well. This will make my first race just that much more memorable.

2012-03-12 3:20 PM

User image

San Diego, CA
Hopefully that forcast will be pushed back to Monday!  I have done other rainy races before and they were awesome!  Just remember to keep warm dry clothes in the car for afterwards!
2012-03-13 10:24 PM

User image

Phoenix

I'm so pumped up for SuperSeal, it'll be my first oly as well! I am driving in from Phoenix this friday morning and planning on swimming in the bay to get some ows practice.  If anyone else is interested, let me know, maybe we can get a little group and get a feel for the swim course..i was thinking about going around 3-4pm...

enjoy your guys' taperweek and hope everyone has a great race, see you all there!

-julius

2012-03-15 10:28 AM

User image

Lake Forest, CA

In case you haven't seen the race update from Superseal email I received yesterday.

"The weather is forecasted for afternoon rain on Saturday and showers during the night.  The showers are to continue during Sunday and taper off in the early evening.

As such, if there is more than a 0.10 of an inch of rain, the swim will be cancelled and replaced by a 1 mile beach run for both the Sprint and International distance courses."

2012-03-15 10:58 PM

Let's all collectively hope,pray, wish for no rain! As much as I am nervous about the swim I want to do it!
2012-03-18 3:42 PM

User image

New user

Anaheim Hills
Well.....that weather was awful this morning.  The "Beach 5k" was better than nothing, but it was difficult to stay motivated after a 3 hr wait in the parking lot.  The proceeds go to a great cause, but I must admit that I'm hoping we'll get a discount on a future SuperSeal event.
2012-03-20 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4101678

User image

Lake Forest, CA

Just got an email this morning stating that participants will get a 25% discount for next years race.  That seems fair to me.  According the small print they don't have to give us anything.

2012-03-20 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4104585

User image

San Diego, CA
craiger951 - 2012-03-20 7:54 AM

Just got an email this morning stating that participants will get a 25% discount for next years race.  That seems fair to me.  According the small print they don't have to give us anything.

Still, you would think they could offer more than 25% though?  I mean $140 for a 5K is pretty steep!  What I keep wondering in why can't they just reschedule for the same day as the SuperFrog in September?  I mean they already will have the permits to close the roads down and putting a couple of extra markers out for the shorter distance racers doesn't seem like too much of an inconvenience or cost.  Just my $.02

2012-03-20 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4104886

User image

Lake Forest, CA
jasonatkins - 2012-03-20 9:55 AM
craiger951 - 2012-03-20 7:54 AM

Still, you would think they could offer more than 25% though?  I mean $140 for a 5K is pretty steep!  What I keep wondering in why can't they just reschedule for the same day as the SuperFrog in September?  I mean they already will have the permits to close the roads down and putting a couple of extra markers out for the shorter distance racers doesn't seem like too much of an inconvenience or cost.  Just my $.02

That is a brilliant idea.  I wish I'd thought of it.  I hope they'll go for it!!

2012-03-21 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4104886

User image

Veteran
Orange County

You didn't pay $140 for a 5k. 

You paid $140 for the tri and I'm sure that in something you clicked or signed you acknowledged that if it was cancelled due to weather there would be no refund.

They probably incurred a significant amount (if not all) of their expenses even with the cancellation.  I've never been an RD, but it seems like adding a Sprint and Oly to the SuperFrog day might be quite an undertaking.  I thought the credit for next year's race was reasonable under the circumstances.  Just my $.02.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Super Seal Rss Feed