General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where are all the Colorado Peeps??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-12-19 7:06 PM
in reply to: #3944739

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Where are all the Colorado Peeps???
triOK - 2011-12-19 5:42 PM

I am planning on doing mostly Xterra this year since I am burnt out on Ironman.  Missing the entire Colorado summer for 7 hour rides and 3 hour runs on the weekends... no thanks.  I will take my casual rides followed by bottomless mimosas at the Tavern instead.

^^^this gets me into trouble.  The good kind.

I work in Centennial, and spend half my time in Denver, half in Boulder.  I will drive just about anywhere for a workout if you promise me food, fun, and good beer afterwards.

[/QUOTE/]

I like your kind of trouble

2011-12-20 12:39 AM
in reply to: #3940852

User image

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
Great idea Velocomp, and looking at some of your blogs I see some of you are really really putting in the hours. Hope you guys have time for a story. :-)

I started doing sprint Tri's in Kansas in the late 80's to spread the stress as part of my long recovery from botched elective Knee surgery, and in sheer frustration of not being able to run all the time as I had dreamed and planned for years, ended up doing pretty well- Placing in age group, top 10/top 8 overall in Midwest regional events. It really became a lifestyle.

But in the mid 90's a 3Hour round-trip commute to KC killed my training time and I gained 5 inches in my waist in about a year and a half. After finally moving to KC and then getting married, I realized one day that my only sport for several years had been "Chiefs Fan". So I got back on my Bike and as a quest for a "Lifetime Achievement Endurance Event" did the Enchanted Circle Century down in New Mexico as a Flatlander in 2002.

I was training for ECC again in 2004 when a freak accident on my road bike (no cars involved) put the head of my femur through the hip socket, and broke my collar bone and scapula on that side as well.
It was a difficult injury to treat as where you would put hip replacement hardware was fragmented. We spoke with great Docs in KC, St Louis, Chicago, Minneapolis and Denver before finally the Director of Orthopedic Trauma at Baylor Medical in Dallas suggested his team could bone graft the entire socket, which they did in a 6Hour lost-bloodflow-to-the-foot twice surgery, 5 weeks after the accident. Combine with another 12 weeks of non-weightbearing, and suffice it to say I spent long enough thinking about what I would do if I could walk again, that eventually only Ironman would suffice. That, and I became obsessed with the Pikes Peak Ascent as the sure sign that I was 'Recovered'. In fact, before I had ever seen Pikes Peak I was visualizing it the first time they allowed me on even an exercise bike during rehab.
The following year, in 2005 we moved to the Springs about 3 weeks before the Ascent and I've done it each year since, getting a PR at 50 this year. Oh yeah, and I did ECC in 2005 too.
In 2006 it was Harvest Moon Half Iron and Durango Century, and then I took a year 'off' for our first child in 2007, (although I still did the Peak).
I started logging workouts on BT Jan 1 2008 and it was a great help as I did IMAZ in Nov 2008.

After IMAZ I took some time off logging, let the process become much more 'organic', and only began to log again in April 2010, several months after the birth of our 2nd child.

I thought all this year that my next "Lifetime Achievement Endurance Event" would be a 50mile run. But it's proved hard enough that I started thinking about Ironman again, or maybe it'll have to be an AquaBike.
In the meantime I hope to keep doing Pikes Peak, and once again the Enchanted Circle Century in either 2012 or '13 depending on timing of other events.
Especially as I start Biking and Swimming more, I'll make an effort to meet and workout.
Keep up the good work!

PS- I want my kids to grow up rooting for the local team, so I slip my feet into one Orange and one Blue Croc every morning, have personalized Broncos jerseys and we watch every game and root as hard as my 4 and 2 year old will allow... just don't tell my old Cheifs fan buddies in KC. :-)
2011-12-20 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver area

Another lurker here...  I just moved back to Denver a year ago (I'm a native, but had a 12 year detour in Houston).  Last year was all about IMTX (Jan-May) then enjoying Colorado, doing a bit of racing, a bit of training, and establishing a training/friend network.  I live in Parker, do most of my training down there, but have been known to head up to Boulder to ride with my friend.

I'm still assembling my 2012 plan.  So far it consists of this:

• ski as much as possible (my coach forbid skiing last year due to IMTX)
  • weight train/indoor trainer for strength this winter + swim team
  • enter some random winter races but don't actually train for them (we'll see how this works)
  • start doing some training in March
  • May - Colfax Half Mary
  • June - Boise 70.3
  • July - ??
  • August - Rattlesnake Back to Back
  • Sept - RnR full mary (maybe)

Last spring and early summer were SO structured with the IM training that this year, I just want to have fun.

2011-12-20 11:32 AM

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado

Thanx 4 the spark of fire. I live out here on the Western Slope of Colorado. I kinda gave up on the Colorado posting after NO feed back from last November ( Rim Rock Marathon). I have posted many times but I get the feeling that "Colorado" means Denver. My post usually are regarding running events out here ( Palisade Marathons and/or Better Half 13 miler in Gateway), road riding ( Iron Horse Classic), mt biking (Leadville 50), Moab ( Xterra Tri), swimming ( Shinocks Open) , trail running (10K On The Mesa), and last year I posted XC sking and snowshoe events.

Now, as 4 me, I volunteer at many events each year and compete when I have the funds 2 do so. I do mt bike quite a bit as the high desert trails out here are still dry and rideable. I know a lot of front range folks ride in Fruita and maybe raft the mighty Colorado River as well. In simple terms, GJ is a gr8 hub 4 a variety of outdoor recreation.

Here are some of 2012 events that I have signed up 4 and a few more that I am going 2 volunteer 4......... 4-20-12 Fruita 5K, 1/2, Full, & 50 miler/ 4-26-12 Fat Tire Fest in Fruita/ 5-12-12 Kokopelli Trail 12K and 25K trail run/ 6-8-12 Moab Tri Xterra and 5k trail run..... Just 2 name a few in the spring.

So long story short, if ya come out this way, let me know. I can give advise on hotels, different ehtnic foods, trails, camping, and whats near by. Hope we all participate more on this Colorado link. Happy trails and positive vibes.

The Padre

P.S. I am doing my radio show this Saturday 6am- 9am and you can stream live 4 free. www dot kafmradio dot org

2011-12-20 8:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodland Park, CO

Hey Padre, how is the Xterra Moab?  I was thinking about that one, but it is in June this year, and it seems it might be a little warm.

I am also thinking about doing Lory and the new Xterra Curt Gowdy.  Also looking at possibly going up to the black hills to do Xterra Iron Creek.  Anyone done that one?

2011-12-20 8:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver

I stumbled on this site a couple of years ago, while trying to figure out how to get started in triathlon. I had/have been watching the NBC broadcast of Kona since I can remember. I finally took the plunge at the end of 2009 & started accumulating all of the necessary equipment. My only athletic background was football....from elementary school through high school. I did grow up in Texas......of course I played football.  So, I was never really built for endurance.

My original plan, was a 3 year plan. The first 2 years have gone according to plan. 2010 I did the Bolder Boulder, 2 Sprints & 1 Olympic distance tri. This year I completed the Bolder Boulder, Tough Mudder, and the Boulder Tri Series (Sprint, Olympic, & 70.3) In 2012 I had planned to do my first IM 140.6. BUT, I will be putting that dream on hold until 2013. My wife & I will be adding another family member in April. My wife is a little nervous about holding down the fort, by herself, with a newborn & a 3yr old. So she asked if I would put off the IM until 2013. I figured it was the least I could do, since she is my biggest supporter & has put up with all the money spent on start-up. Plus all the training involved. In 2012 I'll only be doing the Bolder Boulder, Denver Triathlon (Olympic distance) & a Sprint in late Summer/early Fall.........probably the Parker Fall Frenzy.

I'll be heading down to Arizona in 2012 to volunteer for the IM in Tempe. that's the nice thing about putting off IMAZ until 2013. I'll be able to get first experience on the bike & run courses.

I joined Rocky Mtn Tri Club this year. But I didn't make too many of the workouts. I live up in the Thornton/Westminster area and most of the RMTC workouts are down South. So I do most of my training up in my neck of the woods. I also venture up to Boulder fairly often.

2011-12-21 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3947010

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado
Yo Doug, What can I say...... Xterra Moab was much better than anticipated. Its a lake swim that was calm and chilly for the desert. The 16 mile mt biking rocks big time!! Its mostly a 4wheel trail so lots of room which is nice. Google Steel Bender Trail Moab for photos and a few Youtube Videos as well. The two loops running on the Faux Fall trail is way cool and even better to walk the 1st loop and then run the 2nd loop. Now keep in mind, this is a family friendly festival really. The events include a kids tri which have become VERY popular, just a 5k trail run, relay teams, and a FULL XTERRA POINT SERIES RACE. This is also a really fun event to volunteer for. Now if your not a Mt Biker, a Moab Road Olympic Tri is another option. 1500m swim, 40k out and back road ride, and then the same trail run 10k. I believe that this race will fill up. Overall, its a gr8 weekend, timing chips, awards, and loads of fans cheering you on. Keep me in mind if this develops for ya early June. Peace
2011-12-24 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Woodland Park, CO
Thanks Pardre, I'll have to check into this one a little more closely!
2012-01-04 3:43 PM

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
Hey guys. I just moved back after being in Kansas and Missouri for 12 years. I'm currently in Parker but moving to Highlands Ranch in March. This will be my third year doing tris, hoping to do IMKS 70.3 in June. I've been a member of BT since 2010 but was hanging out on the Kansas forum. It's definitely good to be back.
2012-01-04 5:01 PM

User image

Elite
Denver
Hey gang, hope you all have been well! I'm missing Tavern mimosas as well...

I will not be doing tri's this year, focusing on some other things. But, I will be running a lot, so I'm game if anyone wants to roll!

2012-01-05 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3971268

User image

Regular
Parker

LGraff - 2012-01-04 2:43 PM Hey guys. I just moved back after being in Kansas and Missouri for 12 years. I'm currently in Parker but moving to Highlands Ranch in March. This will be my third year doing tris, hoping to do IMKS 70.3 in June. I've been a member of BT since 2010 but was hanging out on the Kansas forum. It's definitely good to be back.

I just signed up for my first Ironman (Vineman). I just started doing Don Fink's Ironfit program this week (so happy to be back in training instead of stuffing myself full of holiday goodies) and signed up for IMKS 70.3 as part of the plan. I live in Parker and work in Highlands Ranch. My weekday training is very early or lunch time but I will be doing my long bikes in Parker on Saturday and long runs on Sundays. Let me know if any of you are interested in joining me weekend mornings.

Did I mention how happy I am to be back in trainingSmile

2012-01-05 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver area

For those of you racing IMKS 70.3, Altitude Multisports is doing this as a team event.  So.... for any members, there will be a free training plan (although my guess is that it will be fairly basic).  There will also be organized training events on the weekend.    They're just getting things organized, and I wouldn't expect to see any Kansas specific stuff until March or April.

I'm racing Boise which is the day before Kansas.  I'll be doing most of my training with the group and probably supplementing with some of my own insanity.  I'd expect that we'll be doing a ton of riding over at Quincy Res since that mimics race conditions pretty well.

2012-01-05 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Boulder

Hi All!

I just joined BT last summer and learned how to swim (literally) a year and a half ago. I did Boulder Sprint, Boulder Peak, Pelican Fest Tri, and Harvest Moon Aquabike this last season. I've already signed up for the Boulder Series (including Boulder 70.3) for 2012.

So far I LOVE triathlon! I've always done something (climbing, lifting, running, yoga, duathlons) but now my thing is swim/bike/run! I'm slow and I'm probably not going to be setting anymore PR's but I just love being a part of all of it!

I'm in the mountains west of Boulder so I do most of my training in Boulder and surrounding area. I would love to meet up with some other BT'ers at races and/or brewpubs. I think it would be a good idea to have "BT" on our calves or something to identify ourselves.

Hope to meet some of you this spring/summer!

~ Jen

2012-01-06 2:52 PM

User image

Expert
Denver Area

hello there. i'm still lurking now and then.

really feeling full of dread and boredom for training up coming season. probably as I train alone a lot, just no fire in the belly about it, and in real need of next level gear.

started in '07 with sprint, then upto HIM '09, babygirl 2 came along '10...mildly considering a longer distance later this summer.  

we're currently in lakewood, so the Union/Alameda 24hr is my hangout, and I too must hit it really early to get anything done.

2012-01-06 8:56 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
I moved to Illinois.  It's like Colorado, only not very nice, doesn't have mountains, it rains and snows a lot, and the traffic is horrible.  On the bright side we have amazing food, the Bears, and my kids live here :D
2012-01-07 9:45 AM

User image

Training starts.

My next event will be the Barkin dog duathlon(long coarse) in May. Then the Bolder/Boulder, then I am thinking of the Steamboat triathlon in summer.

Will be using the Englewood rec center as my swim pool. A lot of chlorine and a bit too warm and sometimes very hard to find clear water in amongst all the blue hairs doing blue hair stuff.

The price for indoor pool time is outrageuos and i am taking what I can afford. Will be starting back up this month...sometime.

I work nights, so joining a swim club or tri club with better access to a pool is not available.

Can't do the Y, that place scares me...

2012-01-07 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3976535

User image

Veteran
Denver
jeepster93 - 2012-01-07 8:45 AM

The price for indoor pool time is outrageuos and i am taking what I can afford.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but Costco is selling a 2yr membership to 24hr Fitness for $319....or something like that. It comes out to a little over $13/month, if you go that route & have the $$$ right now

2012-01-07 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3976646

User image

Dino019 - 2012-01-07 11:09 AM

The price for indoor pool time is outrageuos and i am taking what I can afford.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but Costco is selling a 2yr membership to 24hr Fitness for $319....or something like that. It comes out to a little over $13/month, if you go that route & have the $$$ right now

I checked that out.

It does not include fitness clubs with a pool.

It only includes a sport level of equipment, membership. No pool.

Edited by jeepster93 2012-01-07 12:27 PM
2012-01-07 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3976747

New user

24 Hour Sport level clubs do have pools.  Lowry and Alameda locations are Sport clubs and the Costco membership provides access to both of them.  It also covers access to "Active" clubs, which do not have pools.  It's a great deal!

2012-01-07 10:29 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Huh? I've been a member of the Y for 3 years, and I love it there. No, there aren't very many "hardcore" athletes there, but that's one of the reasons I like it.

As for me, I spent the past several months being eaten alive but nursing school. Thankfully, that is now over, so I can start being swallowed alive by my new job next month. :p

I'm not sure what's on my agenda for racing this year. I won a guaranteed entry to the NYC marathon, so that will be my A race of the year, and I'm thinking of cutting way back on tri stuff this year to concentrate on that. I'll probably still do a couple of sprint tris, and maybe Lake to Lake, but it's highly doubtful that I'll do Boulder 70.3 or HM this year.

2012-01-07 10:45 PM
in reply to: #3976947

User image

Veteran
Denver
emn915 - 2012-01-07 2:07 PM

24 Hour Sport level clubs do have pools.  Lowry and Alameda locations are Sport clubs and the Costco membership provides access to both of them.  It also covers access to "Active" clubs, which do not have pools.  It's a great deal!

ditto.

I have the membership from Costco. I use the 24Hr Sport Clubs in Broomfield, Arvada, and the one on Colo. Blvd & Alameda. The only thing I do at 24Hr is use the pool.

2012-01-08 9:14 AM

User image

The 24 hr fitness website says no pool in Sport level clubs. the Lowery club is a "super sport club" and has a "lap pool" , what is that? a full pool? And TOOO far away for a morning swim anyhow... The Costco membership only includes sport level clubs, is the super sport included with Costco?

The web site says no pool at Colo and Yale. Does it have a pool?

The Y is too dirty.

Not to mention the "old men" that hang around in the locker room...creepy.

2012-01-08 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3977818

New user

I worked out at Lowry and Colo/Alameda when I lived in Denver - both have lap pools and both are "Sport" clubs, not Super Sport. In link below, Lowry is listed as Sport. 

http://www.24hourfitness.com/FindClubDetail.do?clubid=00572&sessionId=

Colo/Yale is listed as an "Active" type of club, so no pool.

In my experience newish Sport clubs *usually* have a lap pool, no matter the location.  Not sure what is convenient for you, but the Belleview location (Sport) has a lap pool, Lakewood Sport has a lap pool, as do many others in Denver Metro.  Most have only 2 lanes, so sometimes tough to get a lane during peak times.  But you cannot beat the Costco price, and the ability to use at any Sport club is great.

Definition of sport club: 

Sport

Take advantage of a full group exercise schedule at our most popular type of club. At 24 Hour Fitness Sport clubs, you'll enjoy a wide variety of fitness equipment and classes. Most locations offer sauna, steam room, and whirlpool, and some clubs feature basketball courts and/or swimming pools.

2012-01-08 7:58 PM

User image

Centennial CO

I started doing tri's a couple years ago to support my sisters weight loss.  So I had to learn to swim and did my way or the try way.  Great tri for a starter.  Now I do a couple sprints a year.  Until I like swimming I figure that is far enough for the swim.  I do have a few friends pushing for a half so they might get an olympic out of me.

Haven't decided on what races I will do this year but live and train in Littleton.

Just to let you know the ACC pool is a nice pool and not many people use it.  The open swim time is limited to 10:30 to 12:30 so for the night shift person this might work well for you.  It is relatively inexpensive as well.

2012-01-08 9:25 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
I swim at Goodson Rec center.just north of Arapahoe and University.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where are all the Colorado Peeps??? Rss Feed  

of 3