General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where are all the Colorado Peeps??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-01-09 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3978866

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
Subject: RE: Where are all the Colorado Peeps???
velocomp - 2012-01-08 9:25 PMI swim at Goodson Rec center.just north of Arapahoe and University.
How do you like it? I'm moving in March and was planning on switching over there.

2012-01-09 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3972548

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
stevemurf1 - 2012-01-05 9:47 AM

LGraff - 2012-01-04 2:43 PM Hey guys. I just moved back after being in Kansas and Missouri for 12 years. I'm currently in Parker but moving to Highlands Ranch in March. This will be my third year doing tris, hoping to do IMKS 70.3 in June. I've been a member of BT since 2010 but was hanging out on the Kansas forum. It's definitely good to be back.

I just signed up for my first Ironman (Vineman). I just started doing Don Fink's Ironfit program this week (so happy to be back in training instead of stuffing myself full of holiday goodies) and signed up for IMKS 70.3 as part of the plan. I live in Parker and work in Highlands Ranch. My weekday training is very early or lunch time but I will be doing my long bikes in Parker on Saturday and long runs on Sundays. Let me know if any of you are interested in joining me weekend mornings.

Did I mention how happy I am to be back in trainingSmile

I would love to have a training buddy, unfortunately I work crazy hairdresser hours so my days off are Thursday and Friday.
2012-01-10 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3977818

User image

Veteran
Denver
jeepster93 - 2012-01-08 8:14 AM

The 24 hr fitness website says no pool in Sport level clubs. the Lowery club is a "super sport club" and has a "lap pool" , what is that? a full pool? And TOOO far away for a morning swim anyhow... The Costco membership only includes sport level clubs, is the super sport included with Costco?

The web site says no pool at Colo and Yale. Does it have a pool?

The Y is too dirty.

Not to mention the "old men" that hang around in the locker room...creepy.

The 24hr  @ Colo. blvd. & yale, is an "active" 24hr, not a "sport"

Like someone previously stated, every Sport location I have been to, has a pool. Even sport locations out of state.  I checked all the sport locations in the metro area, 12 total. they all have indoor lap pools. I got this info from the 24hr fitness website. If the colo blvd. & yale location is closest to you, then why not try the Tiffany Plaza location? That is a sport location & has a pool. If the money is right, it might just be worth your drive....as is the case with me. The closest sport location to me is 80th & sheridan, but I drive my butt up to 120th & sheridan. #1 because the pool is short @ 80th & sheridan, 21yds & 1ft to be exact. #2 there are old folks "aqua" classes 4 days a week @ 80th & sheridan. Plus a huge senior citizen population that is always in the pool there.........and I think that senior citizens & toddlers have similar bladder control. P

2012-01-10 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3940852

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado
Hello ALL..... Something is a brewing..... Keep Your Eyes Open
2012-01-11 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3982900

New user
Padre's got the inside scoop! It pays to volunteer with us - thanks Padre! Racing Underground has just announced the Desert's Edge Triathlon today. This will be a late season sprint and Olympic tri the first weekend in October, when it's still like summer in Fruita.

We've also announced the inaugural Ultimate Direction Evergreen Sprint Tri on July 15th.

Details for both races are available on the Racing Underground website.

-Darrin
2012-01-13 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

I'm still here, too!  Although my time on BT is more limited than it used to be. 

I started on BT in 2005, when I was trying to figure out how to train for Danskin and Tri for the Cure.  I hadn't run a mile since high school more than a decade before, hadn't owned a bike in 7 years, and the only time I swam any distance was for lifeguard and scuba certification.  When I registered for Danskin, I told my husband "don't worry, I'm not going to do anything crazy like an Ironman."  So naturally, two years (and a broken wrist) after I did Danskin I did my first Ironman. Another broken wrist and a child later, I did IMWI as my second ironman this year (I really need to finish up that race report).

With our little guy, hubby and I have found it is best to alternate seasons going long, so he is training for his first ironman this year, and I have decided to, as MissKelly once put it, "train the hell out of my weakness."  I'm going to do the Platte River 1/2 mary in April, the Denver Rock n Roll in September, and the California International Marathon in December.  I'll be doing a lot of weekend runs with a three-year-old in tow, so if you see a short brunette pushing a yellow stroller for hours in Chatfield or on the South Platte, it's probably me.  If anyone doesn't mind running at "stroller pace" (~11:15 to 11:30/mi for long runs) I would love company!

2012-01-16 5:42 PM

Expert
Golden, CO

Hey Gang..I am back at it after the holidays.. Hopefully I will see some of you out and about.  My A race is IMMOO and I plan on doing Kansas 70.3 and Racine 70.3 and and Xterra and 2 half marathons...WTF?? 

New coach this year and she wants me racing...  Unfortunately that means training also.

By the way ..what is everyone paying for their 24 hour fitness memberships.  I have two friends who pay about 20 a month for "any club"..but I can't find anything close to that right now.

2012-01-17 7:49 AM

User image

Colorado, USA
I'm still around also. Mostly use BT for the training log as I have for several years.
Primarily focused on running these days- finally qualified for Boston but won't run it until 2013.
May enter a few of the HR pool tris this summer but I need to train these atrophied quads.....

Mike
2012-01-18 3:30 PM

Mostly a lurker here but live in the Springs.  I have noticed not much tri action down here.  I really wish there were more races in the Springs area.  Driving to Boulder, Cherry Creek, Aroura Res, or Highlands Ranch is not too bad but... 

Entire family does tris, bike rides and runs.  Me, Husband, 6 yo (3 tris under her belt already) and 3 yo (IronKids Boulder last year). 

2012-01-19 7:26 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Like several here, I moved back to CO from an 11 year hiatus.  I move back from Cali (SoCal) where I started to get into tri's..  Lets just say the year round outdoor training in Cali is much missed  I'm not the typical endurance athlete, in 2010 I had lost 120 pounds in my pursuit of getting healthy were I had completed an oly tri.  Starting weight was 340 and got down to 220. 

I took a travel based job to move back home and have since lost my mojo (training&eating) and gained about 50 back.  Now I'm on a mission to get back to the best shape of my life from 2010 and complete my first HIM (SOMA) in October of this year.  Just read You are an Ironman and I'm now going to work towards IMAZ in 2013.  Like someone else mentioned, I'm going to go back down after my half (same location) and volunteer to register for 2013. 

I had recently joined a mentor group on BT and was looking in the general forum for local tri clubs when I saw the Colorado thread.  Does anyone know of any tri clubs in South Denver?  Besides any possible meet ups through this group, I would like to meet up with fellow tri folks.  

Since I travel a LOT on the weekdays, I'm only occasionally available on the weekends for workouts/rides.  Married with a son 6 and daughter 3 so the time away takes a toll on everyone.  Including my mid section

Joey

2012-01-21 2:16 AM
in reply to: #3993711

User image

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
jdbadger - 2012-01-16 4:42 PM

Hey Gang..I am back at it after the holidays.. Hopefully I will see some of you out and about.  My A race is IMMOO and I plan on doing Kansas 70.3 and Racine 70.3 and and Xterra and 2 half marathons...WTF?? 

New coach this year and she wants me racing...  Unfortunately that means training also.

By the way ..what is everyone paying for their 24 hour fitness memberships.  I have two friends who pay about 20 a month for "any club"..but I can't find anything close to that right now.

I always buy my 24Hour All-Club Sport Membership around Memorial Day and get a full year for $192-$199, ~$16.xx a month. That doesn't help you swim right now, but as far as I know, May is the best time to buy.
Best Regards

2012-01-22 9:08 AM

User image

If you are a member of Costco...

They are selling a 2 year membership to 24hr fitness centers with sport or active level equipment for $319. $13 a month.

The englewood rec center is $153 a year for residents(fully equiped, pool, racket ball, basketball, indoor track, classes) BUT... Thier cliental are not triathlete models, Pool time is hard to get with the blue hairs doing...blue hair stuff, Water is warm.

But the place is clean(VERY important to me). And well equipped.

2012-01-25 12:55 PM

User image

New user

Colorado Springs

Hello, new to the forum.  I started back at offroad events this year.  Since the real season seems to start later in CO, does anyone have any advice to find some triathlon events Feb-May?

2012-01-27 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Rocky Mountains

Still around Dan, just not so much in the forums, but I still post workouts.

Hope everyone has a great year!

2012-02-01 1:35 PM

User image

Crested Butte

Another, of the few from the Western Slope here (Crested Butte). Took last year off due to starting a new business. Getting back into it again this year by starting out at Xterra Moab. Don't post here often, but do use BT CO to see what's going on in the state. 

As for it being quiet, it is SKI SEASON and we do now have snow. So, my recommendation to all on the Front Range, book your trip to CB now. No lift lines, good snow, nice people, coolest town in the state and you can take 285 out to avoid any of the irritation that you may feel sitting on I70.

2012-02-01 3:16 PM

Veteran
ill be there soon!!!!!

2012-02-04 5:01 PM
in reply to: #4010513

User image

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
CJake39 - 2012-01-25 11:55 AM

Hello, new to the forum.  I started back at offroad events this year.  Since the real season seems to start later in CO, does anyone have any advice to find some triathlon events Feb-May?

There are 2 I'm watching.
No full details yet, but Pueblo's Running Club, "Southern Colorado Runner's" says they are hosting a 300y-12.5mi-5K Tri April 15th.
http://www.socorunners.org/races/racecalendar.php
Look for the "Ordinary Mortals Adult Sprint Triathlon" to be held on the Campus of CSU-Pueblo. Event Details are not an active link yet, but say "coming soon".

Also, the Air Force Academy site says their Spring Tri will be held this year.
http://www.falcongroundspeed.com/
Right now the site says "Stay tuned for the Falcon Grounspeed Triathlon". So no date yet, but in the past it was held May 1st 2010, May 2nd 2009. So we'll see.

On a side note, the AFA site also says they'll be hosting a "Falcon 50 UltraMarathon".

Best of Luck!
2012-02-07 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Hello all,

After lurking for a while I joined BT last August just prior to doing my first Sprint Tri.  I am an active member of the Highlands Ranch Running Club and come from a running background.

Over the years I have participated / competed in all three Triathlon disciplines.  I swam in High School many moons ago, In the 80s and early 90s I was an avid cyclist and even competed in a couple of citizens races.  For the past six years I have run 5-6 days a week and ran in 6 marathons (signed up for the Colorado Marathon and NYCM for 2012) about a dozen HMs and several 10K and 5Ks.  

Since I had a blast doing my first Sprint I plan on doing several Tris this year both at the Sprint and Oly distance.  I may even consider doing a HIM distance race (possibly Harvest Moon) this year.  I currently run 6 days a week, swim 1200-2000m 2-3 times a week and have to work more on riding.  I do most of my swimming at the HR Westridge Rec Center and have yet to do an OWS (I need to hit XTerra for a wetsuit). 

Rick

2012-02-07 5:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO

I am new as well just made a post asking about bikes. Planning on doing my first sprint in june and hopefully another in august. I would eventually like to move up to olympic and HIM next year.

I am in littleton and training at the Ridge and peak foothills rec center.

2012-02-07 5:55 PM
in reply to: #4034431

Veteran
rick4657 - 2012-02-07 4:33 PM

Hello all,

After lurking for a while I joined BT last August just prior to doing my first Sprint Tri.  I am an active member of the Highlands Ranch Running Club and come from a running background.

Over the years I have participated / competed in all three Triathlon disciplines.  I swam in High School many moons ago, In the 80s and early 90s I was an avid cyclist and even competed in a couple of citizens races.  For the past six years I have run 5-6 days a week and ran in 6 marathons (signed up for the Colorado Marathon and NYCM for 2012) about a dozen HMs and several 10K and 5Ks.  

Since I had a blast doing my first Sprint I plan on doing several Tris this year both at the Sprint and Oly distance.  I may even consider doing a HIM distance race (possibly Harvest Moon) this year.  I currently run 6 days a week, swim 1200-2000m 2-3 times a week and have to work more on riding.  I do most of my swimming at the HR Westridge Rec Center and have yet to do an OWS (I need to hit XTerra for a wetsuit). 

Rick

do harvest moon with me ill be in boulder starting in march, i dont know how close that is but always can use a run swim bike buddy

2012-02-15 5:01 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO

Hi - I'm still here, too, but mostly just logging workouts.  Joined BT in 2007 after doing a couple sprint tris.  After 3 years of triathlons I gave up on swimming and focused on duathlons for a year.  In 2011 I quit running to focus on bike racing but am trying to build the running again now because I gained weight just riding my bike.  I'm sure the problem was the lack of running and not the quantity of beer consumed after races Wink.  I do the Team Evergreen club rides every Sunday and the racing team rides every Saturday, weather and races permitting, so I'm not available much for other group training rides/runs.  Would love to meet up with everyone sometime, tho, for a beer or two.

2012-02-27 4:55 PM

Veteran

Thought I'd post on here to see if anyone in Broomfield area wants a training buddy.  I'm swimming at BCC m/w/f at 5:30am, but not very fast or very long right now.  I'm weight training on the off days, and get in what I can on the weekends.  I also work out at lunch, but that's down in aurora.  All training is very early, as I try to be home by the time the family wakes up.  I'm thinking of getting a swim lesson package at PDRC  - it's cheaper to split.  I'd love to have a workout buddy to motivate me.  I'm not running right now, as I think I have the beginning of a stress fracture in my foot...  I don't log workouts, but my races are on here, so you can see where I come in.

Races this year are undetermined, but will all be indoors as I haven't gotten a wetsuit yet.  Will probably do the 2 fort collins sprints, Longmont sprint, Mini haha in Broomfield, Lookout mountain tri, the Highlands Ranch oly (yay, a pool oly!), maybe the leadville 50 BIKE race, and the Boulder Marathon if my foot gets better.

It would be nice to at least know someone at the races!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where are all the Colorado Peeps??? Rss Feed  

of 3