Baltimore Running
41F / 5C
Sunny
Total Time = 37m 5s
Overall Rank = 271/2760
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 36/173
Pre-race routine:

Two oatmeal packets with a small handful of almonds. Two teas. One bottle with Nuun in car. 30 minutes before race 1/2 bag of Powerbar jelly things.
Event warmup:

Stretched for about two minutes. Incredibly, had to use toilet and found a port a potty that smelled like blueberry pancakes. Weird, but welcome
Run
  • 37m 5s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't feel like I had a normal stride or any sort of rhythm until about mile 2.5 or 3.
Started 60 percent of the way back of the pack. Ran pretty hard up the first big hill and through the traffic. Lost everyone -- Paddy, Jeannie, Nancy and Robert -- but then found Paddy at mile 2. He pulled ahead at about 2.5 and by 3 he was starting to run away.
Pre-race goal was 37:20 and I would have been happy with 38:00. I set a PR by about five and a half minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front of the pack. Do 3-5 minutes of light running with low heartrate before the race starts.
Wear my heartrate monitor (currently broken or on fritz.)
Post race
Warm down:

Light stretching for about 3 minutes then walked about. Drank two muscle milks with 20g of protein each, two small cookies and two clementines.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental limits. In hindsight, the goal wasn't aggressive enough. I knew that I was on track after two miles and after three miles. At that point I was trying to maintain. I would have been faster had I pushed harder early or if after two miles I thought I was 15 seconds too slow to make the goal.
All in all, given current fitness and that course, a perfect day may have produced a time of about 36:30.

Event comments:

Need more toilets. And, maybe station some of them near the parking/on th course because the parking is so far away from the start and finish.

Last updated: 2011-11-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:05 | 05 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/173
Overall: 271/2760
Performance: Good
I ran 37:07 on my watch and split 7:34, 7:20, 7:28 and 14:44 for the last two miles.
Course: Paddy says it was a new course this year with an extra hill. Druid Hill Park in Baltimore.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes