United States
Competitor Group, Inc.
45F / 7C
Total Time = 3h 39m 21s
Overall Rank = 539/3786
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 91/441
Pre-race routine:

This was my very first marathon and had never actually run a stand alone Half marathon either. I had run up to a 24 mile run in training though. We flew into Vegas Saturday night so just had a quiet night and walked around the hotel a little. We had dinner at Wolfgang Pucks and then called it a night around 10:30. The next morning I had a breakfast of oatmeal and a 6 inch sub at around 9:00 and then picked up a couple of last minute items. Spent the last couple of hours before having to head over to packet pickup laying in bed just trying to relax. My stomach started to get nervous a few hours out and the only other food I was able to get in was a banana a cliff bar and a few nuts.
Event warmup:

My girlfriend and I walked the mile to the race start at around 2:00 I got my packet picked up my bag checked and did a last trip to the porta potty and then got in my coral at 3:45. I didn't do any sort of stretching or any other warming up due to the crowds and my stomach being in knots.
Run
  • 3h 39m 21s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I found the 3:30 pace group and planned on running with them for the whole race. Due to the crowds at the start the first mile was a little slow so we had a little time to make up to get back on pace. My left hamstring was a bit tight for the first 3 or 4 miles but then seemed to loosen up. I had to stop and pee at around mile 6 I did it as quick as possible but then had to run fairly hard to catch back up to the pace group. I probably should have taken a couple of miles to have closed the distance as apposed to doing it in that mile. I was feeling good coming into the second half of the race. I had taken one Gel in and had tried to drink water and cytomax at all of the aid stations but it was kind of hard to get to some of them due to the crowds. Coming onto the strip where we merged with the half marathon folks turned into a nightmare. We were merging with about 40 thousand people and by the time we got onto the strip probably about 3/4 of those people were already there and there were a lot of walkers already. The full marathon was supposed to have there own lane for the first 3 or 4 miles but it was very poorly marked and so there was a lot of people walking or running at a much slower pace then what I was trying to go in our lane. I spent a lot of energy dodging around people and an even harder time trying to get into the water stations. By about mile 21 I realized that I had not taken in enough food or water and was starting to feel like I as running out of energy. The course was thinning out a little more but was still pretty crowded and I was still having to run around people. By about mile 23 I was starting to go to a pretty dark place. I was hurting just about everywhere. My feet, hamstrings and my lower back were probably what was bothering me the most but I just focused on keeping running. I walked for about 15 seconds in two different aid stations to try to take in a little bit more water and cytomax. The last 2 miles or so my vision starting going really blurry and I could tell that I was just not there completely. It is hard to explain but I found myself almost blacking out a little as I was running. I just kept telling myself to keep moving. The last turn to head down the finishers shoot seemed like the longest thing ever but pretty soon I found myself crossing the finish line. I got my medal and then started shuffling forward towards the food and the exit. I was totally out of it at this point. Things were a pretty big blur but I remember guzzling like 2 things of water and cytomax and then grabbing whatever I saw to eat as I walked. The area was pretty chaotic because a lot of the half marathon folk were finishing then. I headed over to the family reunion area to find my girlfriend who ran the half. I realized at that point that my vision was so blurry that I could not read the letters to find her. A volunteer must have saw how pale I was and pointed me in the right direction.
What would you do differently?:

I think a couple of those faster miles during the fist half hurt me a little. I probably should have focused on a little bit more even pacing. I think my biggest mistakes were not carrying my own water though. The little bit of weight it would have added would have been worth it. I also should have eaten more before and during the race. I was so afraid of having GI issues during the race that I just didnt eat enough before it.
Post race
Warm down:

We walked over to the bag check area and then sat down inside for about 20 minutes. It felt really good to get off of my feet and after sitting for a bit I was starting to feel a little bit more normal, although it took almost 4 hours for my vision to come back to normal and be able to read signs and billboards again. We then had the mile walk back to our hotel. When we got back to the hotel I found that my feet were in pretty good shape with the exception of one toe that the whole thing had turned into a giant blister including the nail. The nail ended up falling off the next day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I would say that my nutrition was probably one of the biggest factors.
Second I would say would be my weight. I am 5'10" and 205 pounds. I am a pretty muscular guy but still have a good 20 pounds or so that I could lose to really be in a lot better running shape.
Third I dont know that I chose quite the best marathon training plan. I used the last 10 weeks of the Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 plan as I had just come off of a Half Ironman at the end of September so I figured my running fitness was at about the half marathon level already. I think the plan lacked enough overall Volume and I think I could have used one speed day a week in the plan as well.

Event comments:

Overall even though I missed my goal of 3:30 I was satisfied with my performance and felt that it was a great learning experience. This was my very first marathon and I am glad I was able to complete it injury free.

The marathon itself had some problems for sure. The merger between the full and the half was very rough and something better needs to be figured out.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-12-09 12:00 AM
Running
03:39:21 | 26.2 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 91/441
Overall: 539/3786
Performance: Good
Average heart Rate 171 Max heart rate 186 1/2 marathon split was 1:42:57 Mile splits were: 8:27, 7:59, 7:45, 7:48, 7:44, 7:45, 7:29, 7:38, 7:39, 7:43, 7:32, 7:30, 7:45, 7:59, 8:30, 8:41, 8:08, 8:05, 8:07, 8:20, 8:52, 9:09, 9:17, 9:47, 9:37, 9:12 and last .2 was 8:35 pace.
Course: The course winded out West of the strip first and then merged with the half marathon on the trip running out and back. Almost totally flat with the exception of two overpasses for a total elevation gain and loss of 440 feet.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-12-17 5:56 PM

User image

Subject: Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon

2011-12-18 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3942388

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon
Good work on your first marathon! If you're running 3:39 at 5'10"/205, then you probably have a lot of extra speed in you if you can carry a slightly lighter load.
2011-12-18 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3942388

User image

Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon
Thanks I am sure hoping so. I was a decent runner in high school running a 16:48 5k and a 4:52 mile as my best but that is many a pounds ago and about 10 years of no running ago. I ran a 19:20 5k this summer at a race that I just showed up and ran so I think I have the wheels in me still but I know I definitely need to lose some more weight. My goal is to be down to 180 by Ironman CdA in 6 months.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon Rss Feed