BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MightyMojoMentorGroup -- (Full House!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 216

2011-12-17 9:00 PM

User image

Champion
Subject: MightyMojoMentorGroup -- (Full House!)
NAME: Steve Bradley

STORY: 2012 will be my 13th year of multisport, with my totals being 89 triathlons, 14 duathlons, 6 aquabikes ---- and 2 DNFs. (On top of those there are also a couple dozen stand-alone running races.) Over the years I have expended a huge amount of love and commitment to this stuff, and there's not much that doesn't still move me. Paramount attractants are the maintanence of a high level of fitness, the challenges of training with purpose and diligence, the thrill of competing (as often as possible...), and all of the mental discipline that goes into all aspects of multisport. And, of course, there is the pure fun and exhilaration of training and racing! I am still going strong as I approach (in just a few weeks) my 63rd birthday......although sometimes The Body stages little palace revolts by way of niggles, wonks, and outright injuries. But I continue to try to adapt to slower recovery times when "on the shelf", and that often means toning down the training some. I still race hard --- but just don't train as wickedly as I once did!

FAMILY: There's Lynn, ruler of my heart and driver of my soul since '74. Joining us in '84 was Jane, and then Peter in '86, and rounding out the scene was Luna (hound) in '97. I live in Casselman, Ontario, which is about 30 miles east of Ottawa. (However, I had the huge honor and privilege to grow up just outside Boston, MA.) I retired from (three lifetimes of??) teaching in '07, so I have ample time to train and do Yoga and enjoy life to its fullest!

CURRENT TRAINING: Self-trained since about '07, which followed a few years under the superb tutelage of Erik Cagnina of D3 Multisport. I still try to employ many of his philosophies, but mostly I fit in whatever workouts I can, whenever I want. I generally try to "periodize" my training, and that approach suits me very well. I live in the country and do ALL my training solo, having never joined a running or cycling team, or attended masters swim programs; it's just far easier for me to do a run or ride my bike or hit the pool or open water on my own. I swim/bike/run about 10 hours per week in the off-season, and for several years I augmented that with weight-training 2-3X a week. However, last March I discovered Yoga, and have jettisoned the gym in favor of the studio, where I do Yoga classes 5-7X a week. In the race season I pretty much eliminate everything but swim/bike/run, which I do ~13-16 hours a week.

2011 RACES: A hip impingement kept me from serious racing until August, with just three local races prior to that. I did seven triathlons between Aug 14 and Oct 2, however, either sprint or olympic distance. This is the first year in manymanymany that I haven't done a half-iron....and I wonder if my body will allow me to successfully train at that level again. Time'll tell!

2012 RACES: This is still very much up in the air. I live to compete for USAT rankings, so virtually all my races find me traveling to the U.S. I have kept this to triathlons, but want to expand to duathlons for rankings purposes -- makes sense, as I am a far better runner and cyclist than a swimmer! So, I plan to start the season with about 3-4 duathlons, then run off about 7-8 traithlons, and maybe finish in Oct with a du or two. Alternatively, I might just race in Ontario, and try not to be a slave to the USAT rankings game!

2012 GOALS: The past 2 or 3 seasons have found me working at my Olympic-distance speed, and have cut it to consistently sub-2:30. I am aiming at consistently sub-2:25 for the coming season, and to do that I will continue to stay close to the red zone for as long as possible whenever I do sprints. And, there is the USAT rankings, where I still aim for All-American....and continue to come up a bit short, settling for Honorable Mention. It's been this way for several years now, but I keep workin' at it! Finally, there's ALWAYS swimming to (haahahahaha?) improve at, working diligently to nail a sub-28' oly swim and a sub-13/14' sprint swim. Hope springs eternal.....

WEIGHTLOSS: Not really an issue, although I try to race at around 165 and not get above 175 in the off-season (I am 6'2"). Actually, this past season was my first at ~165, and it worked really well; most years I race closer to 168-170. I try to eat mindfully, although that said, I can cave pretty quickly in the face of quality dessert items! I have arrived at this point (weight) from a high of about 200 in spring '98, at which time I started running very seriously in an effort to cut into that number; little did I know at the time that I would end up as a highly-seasoned (and much lighter) triathlete!

GOOD MENTOR?? I have obviously been around the block a few times, I have a good bit of experience and success under my belt, and my years as a teacher gave me the tools and the love of people to care about helping others reach their goals. (I also am a certified USAT Level 1 coach, although I have never pursued that professionally.) However, the best proof probably rests in my work with four previous mentor groups, all of which can be perused in the Mentor archives. I pride myself in being thorough, attentive, and supportive, and maybe most importantly ---- I understand life's little realities and work hard to keep everyone training successfully and happily while paying attention to thier family and work responsibilities. (To whomever made it this far and is interested in joining me -- welcome!)

Edited by stevebradley 2011-12-22 7:40 PM

2011-12-19 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3942539

Subject: RE: MightyMojoMentorGroup

May I join Steve?

Name: Hoosierman/Doug

STORY: I started triathlon as a way to improve my overall health. I was looking to lose weight and relieve stress. This past year was my second season in triathlon. The first season was almost entirely lost to an achilles injury. I come from a strong swimming background and coached swimming for a short time. I have been keeping BT logs current for only about two months. This is the year I hope to be competitive in my age group, not just a race finisher.

FAMILY: I have been married for 12 years. We have three girls and a boy aged 10, 8, 7, and 2.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am entirely self-coached. I do train with a couple of informal running groups. I do not belong to any triathlon club, but am in contact with several local triathletes. I train six days a week, 3 runs, 3 swims, and 2 bikes. I will try to expand training as the weather and daylight improves this spring.

2011 RACES: I did two sprint races this past season. I consciously did not do enough events to get a USAT rating after a disappointing finish in my August race. My bike and run times needed a lot of work. Instead of doing an aquabike I had considered, I concentrated on running a series of 5K road races and dropped my time to something approaching respectability.

2012 RACES: This year’s schedule has 4 sprint triathlons and 7 road races.

2012 GOALS: Weigh 165 or less by June 2012, ride 20 mph in my sprint triathlons, meet the minimum to get a USAT ranking for 2012.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have lost 25 pounds since April, 2011 and plan to drop another twenty before June, 2012. That will put me comfortably within a normal BMI and be a better race weight.

2011-12-19 3:38 PM

User image

Groningen, Netherlands

Hi Steve! If I'm worthy I would like to join your mentor group. 

About me:

I am Thomas, a 25 year old student from the Netherlands, and I stumbled upon this site by googling triathlon sites, and have found this an extremely useful and enjoyable resource ever since. 

Athletic background: I have been rowing crew for the last four years, which meant practicing anywhere from 7-12 times a week in all different kind of boats. Also some weightlifting and on the rowing machine in the winter. Dutch people in general are tall, and this helps with rowing (leverage I guess?) and I am no exception standing at about 6'8" and currently weighing in at about 93kg (205? lbs). Last year was an awesome year of rowing for me, but I felt that it took a lot of time, and triathlon has always intrigued me. What I love is that I can workout on my own and when I please, and its quite effective time-wise, I can cycle in my room, and start running when I'm out the door. My aerobic fitness due to rowing is very good I would say, only it is not geared toward either running, biking or swimming! I did have a road bike that I used for off-season bike trips between rowing, but I was never really very fast. Of course I would like to change this! I feel that - especially with running - I learn new things every run and I get faster every run because of this. 

Needless to say, I would be thrilled to receive support from someone like you who whas a lot of experience and can hopefully improve me and support me.

In 2012 I intend to run a half marathon in March and then starting in June start out with a couple of sprint triathlons and Olympic triathlons. Eventually I will want to do HIM and IM (2013 onward), but I want to build it up gradually and get good at the individual sports and then feel comfortable to do longer pieces with a combination of sports. Maybe I will participate in some swim-runs also.

Current training is about 3 times a week training on my trainer now (weather), I'm following a plan on TrainerRoad.com, and for running I am currently following a plan from RunnersWorld for a half marathon which is about 3-4 runs a week. For swimming I'm using the 0 to 1650 plan, but getting to the pool has been a problem for me lately as this is the most time consuming (travel to-from pool etc).

I look forward to hearing from you!

2011-12-19 3:41 PM

User image

New user

I would really like to join.

Name: Typete247/ Tyler

STORY:Two summer ago I cycled across the United States; San Francisco to Washington D.C. to raise money ann awareness for people with Disabilities. That is where I got my cycling roots. It was with my fraternity. One of my brothers that participated also was big into triathlons and got the thought into my head.

FAMILY: Im 21 years old, a Senior at the University of Southern Mississippi.

CURRENT TRAINING: I took the off season to focus on my run. I've gradually increased my long run each week for the last 2 months and am now at 13 miles this sunday. I Cross train on mondays, Tuesdays Off, Wednesday 5 mile hill run, Thursday off, Friday has been 4 miles less then sunday run. I also have been doing Strength training MWF. 

2011 RACES: A bunch of 5 K's and my first sprint triathlon. Which I beat my goal by 15 minutes. 

2012 RACES: Half Marathon March 4th( Rock and Roll New Orleans)

70.3 New Orleans on April 22nd.

70.3 Augusta September (fingers crossed- based on if I can afford it before it sells out)

WEIGHTLOSS: Very fit in High school, four years of college and a fraternity have set me back a bit. Coming up on a year of solid work so I am in the best shape of my college life. I was at Ideal race weight in September 11' at 155lbs. Im now up to 165 which is because I slacked off my diet as well as focusing on strength training. 

2011-12-19 3:59 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose
I'm in! Bio coming soon
2011-12-19 6:11 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

I'm in for another round!! 

NAME: Sarasota Hokie/Jeff.  Currently live in Sarasota, FL.  Southwestern Florida and home to the 2011 #1 rated beach in the US. 

STORY: Off the couch in 2008 so I'm started season 4 of the journey.  Introduced to the BT website and decided to give triathlon a go.   Since then I have incorporated endurance sports as part of my lifestyle.  Somehow I have managed to develop quite an addiction to endorphins!!

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 3 children.  Boy/girl twins who have graduated from college, married and started their professional careers.   Youngest son is a freshman at Florida State. Also have one grandson (going on 2 years old) who is better known as "Lil Lil Man".

CURRENT TRAINING: Training 9 - 12 hours per week at least an hour a day.  Currently in week 13 of a 15 week HIM Base Building Plan. Structure and planning work for me. 

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Not a good year for races.  Injury going into my 1st event of the year.  However, I still managed to "improved my game" in 2011 and feel like I'm a better triathlete going into 2012. 

2012 RACES:  Registered for the following events:  Superbowl Y Tri (early Feb., Sprint), Gator Half (late Mar., HIM),  Florida International (late May, Sprint).  Will also do Englewood (mid Jul., Sprint) and REV 3 Florida (late Oct.,) as soon as REV 3 finalizes the race (already been announced but putting together the course).

WEIGHTLOSS: Currently at 185 down from 230 when I started endurance sports.  Know what's it like to make a change.

Edited by junthank 2011-12-19 6:32 PM

2011-12-19 6:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

If you still have room, I'd like to join you as well.  Will post the bio later.

FYI, Johanne and I were together last session!

2011-12-19 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3944196

User image

Champion

DOUG -

Welcome aboard; you're Number One!

You're bio is intriguing, not least because you are doing what you're doing while four kids are still under your roof. Lemme guess -- you're super-organized, yes? And the 10-year-old must be in about 5th grade, which I where I spent most of my last 19 years of teaching. GREAT age!!

I'll say it right out front -- I am envious of your swim background! That is my weak spot, has been and always will be. I love the act of swimming and spend more time doing it in either pools or open water than I run or bike, but my progress has proven to be as leisurely as the drifting of the continents. So, we're alter-egos --- you with swim strength but a way to go with running and cycling, and me the opposite. Huh.

I feel your pain with the Achilles, as I suffered a nasty bout of it a few years back. It can still bug me if I do something dumb (run speedwork is a major culprit), but it's mostly good; almost perfect, in fact. Is yours fully fixed now?

That's a good combo of self-training and outside connections that you have going for you. I'm envious! As for right now, your training regimen is great, just about perfect for building a solid Base.

I applaud your decision to address your running concerns by doing a bunch of 5km. The results you got testify to the soundness of that type of very conservative and patient approach, and I guess it suited you well enough that you are planning more road races for '12.

I also applaud the patience displayed by your schedule -- that is, sticking with sprints rather than try to leap and bound up through the distances. The latter is one wya to approach things, but I think people have the most satisfying results, over the longer picture, if they take their time and hone their abilities at the shorter distances first. And doing four sprints will get you a USAT ranking, which will be great baseline numbers off which to compare your progress over the years.

Finally, that's some impressive weightloss! (And finally-finally.....may I ask your age?)

Oh, yeah -- Colts fan, or northward enough to be for the Bears? If the former, congrats on yesterday. WHEW!!!

2011-12-19 8:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Name:  croixfan (used to tourney bass fish and love these fishing rods!)/ Curt

Story:  45 years old and just finishing up my second season participating in triathalons.  Back in 2009 my then 14 year old son did a sprint and I thought it looked like fun.  Fast forward to the following April and I decided to give it a try.  Growing up I played a lot of basketball and baseball where I could capitalize on my speed so I figured piece of cake -- WRONG.  This has been a HUGE switch / journey as I started with absolutely zero endurance base -- not to mention some serious atrophy in the left leg due to a blown Achilles two years back.  I'm looking to slowly develop in to a solid age group performer.  Confident that I can get there.  Realistic that it's going to take 2-3 years.

Family Status:  Married (Sonya) for 24 years with 3 kids (all December b-days).  A daughter soon to be 20 that's in her final year of engineering at U of I (pulling straight A's!).  A son that's 17 years old and is one heck of an endurance athlete who also pulls solid grades in a full set of honors courses.  And a 14 year old daughter that's a solid student who plays with XC -- for her it's a social event.  Currently we live in the Chicago area, but we've lived in a lot of places -- Central Illinois, Colorado, Dubai, and Brussels -- over the past 10 years.

Current Training:  Been playing with different programs.  Did one cycle of "The Time Crunched Triathlete" book -- was fun / book is very insightful.  Past couple of months have been mainly focused on running.  Started back with the swimming in the last week and looking at getting back on the bike next week.  My swimming absolutely sux.  Going forward, I'll likely be looking to get 3 runs, 3 bikes, and 5+ swims in each week. 

2010 Races:  Did a mini-sprint in April where I was BOP.  Did a sprint with an OWS at the end of July where I nearly drowned.  Seriously 28 minutes for 500 yards and 5 stops on the surf boards.  My Mom was there and my wife let me know she was nearly in tears watching me flail about haplessly.  A very humbling experience where I was way BOP.  Two weeks later went after another sprint with a pool swim and finished MOP and had a great time.  That convinced me that I can do this!

2011 Races:  Did four sprints this past year.  Most in pools, one with an OWS.  The pools went OK, the OWS was ug-leee!  Did have a great final event where things finally came together.  While my times were still below my expectations, I had a wonderful time, got in great shape from a cardio standpoint, and feel like I've now got a solid base to build upon.

Weight Loss:  Stand 5'9".  I've climbed up to 188 pounds since ending the season at 180.  Very frustrating to see that number as I feel great.  But, backing off on the workouts while keeping intake constant will do that.  Just set a goal to drop 23 pounds by mid-summer (165 target) to make the running easier on my body / get faster.  Will need to get serious about tracking intake to see any gains -- I love chocolate!!!

What Will Make Me  A Good Mentee:  I check in regularly and keep my logs current.  I listen to guidance and pursue new ideas with an open mind.  I've also spent a bunch of timing coaching kids and love watching others develop.  I've been part of three different training groups and had a great time.  Biggest strength is probably my positive attitude and reinforcement.

Goals:  By the end of the 2012 season I'd like to get to where I can do 1000m at 2min / 100m.  Did 1000 yards tonight at around 2:45.  While it was slow, it was actually pretty easy with not swimming in ages! Want to complete a sprint course at 20 mph, and complete a 5K at around a 7:30 pace.  I've picked out three sprints and set targets for each of them.  Goals are optimistic, but I feel doable if I focus.

Let the fun begin!

Edited by croixfan 2011-12-19 8:33 PM
2011-12-19 8:41 PM

Steve,

Thanks for accepting me and for the comments. I am 43 and will turn 44 in May so three of those tris will be at the top of the 40-44 age bracket. I am hoping to have a breakout year, then really go for it at age 45 in the 45-49 age group.

You are right about having to be organized with the four kids. I have three in school (1st, 2nd, and 4th grades). Organization is against my nature but there is really no choice with the commitments I am juggling these days.

I also teach though at the high school level (US history and government). One perk is that I can swim for free  before school in the pool each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It really helps start off the day right.

The achilles has been good since early this spring when I started running again. I had a couple of sore places in the heel and knee, but took it easy and got through it without injuring it further. The previous year I had been wearing improper shoes which I think caused the whole thing. I made it worse by taking a bunch of Advil and trying to muscle through it instead of giving it the rest it needed. This year I took it easy for the first 4-5 months before I did any speed work. I got down to a 7:14 pace for my last 5K run last Sunday. In the spring I couldn't even finish a 2 mile run. The weight loss helped with the times.  I hope to lose 20 more and be able to run 6:30 mile splits this year. The experience from the road races will improve my confidence I am sure.

I am indeed a Colts fan. It has been a surreal year.

My swimming times are shockingly slow compared to the times I remember from high school. I know I could swim a 100 in 54 seconds back then. The fastest I can seem to go now is 1:18. I am very slowly getting faster a little bit at a time though. I guess the best thing about having a youth spent swimming competitively is that you have the technique down and it doesn't go away. I have to admit it is nice to not have fast running and cycling times to remember from high school. Every fast run is a true lifetime best for me.

I have stuck with sprints because I don't feel I have the time to train for anything much longer, and because it is still a challenge to me. I know I can finish, but I want to be a consistent top 20 overall finisher, age group contender, kind of guy before I move up. At this point in my brief career of triathlon I think I am starting to benefit from the previous couple of years of training. It seemes to take a while for the body to catch up with your mind in endurance sports.

2011-12-19 8:45 PM
in reply to: #3944625

User image

Champion

THOMAS -

Very interesting background you've got, and all the discipline in the world to be able to push the rowing pace so often each week. My only pertinent rowing experience is yanking the chain on a Concept 2 -- which I actually quite enjoyed! Alas, that was one of the downsides to giving up the gym in favor of the Yoga studio, as my only access to the C2 was at the gym. Ack.

Your rowing discipline has moved nicely to the running and the indoor cycling, and you talk about those avtivities as if they are laready just about second-nature to you. That's good!! It's also good -- make that "great" -- that you are learning something new each run. It really sounds as if you've been shot out of a cannon with triathlon interests, and the strngth and cardio you have from rowing should be a huge help. It will be very interesting to see how it all plays out!

Your racing plan sounds very solid -- a half-marathon to test the upper/outer limits, and the sprints and olys to work on basic stuff at the more approachable distances. As I said to Doug, I'm a pretty big fan of the concept of taking one's time to work up through the distances -- not that I necessarily succeeded at it myself, but just that in vast hindsight I can see its value.

With the race season still a long ways off, don't make yourself crzy trying to get to the pool. In fact, there is a lot to be said for concentrating on two-out-of-three for a while, and maybe by the time you figure out how to make pools work for you, it'll be time to back off a bit on either the bike or the run, and fit in more swimming sessions. Overall, how do you rate your swimming -- both ability and water-comfort?

Finally, it's good you have a road bike -- great vehicle on which to start triathlon!

2011-12-19 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Spokane
Steve,After a year in Mojo I'm thrilled to join you and some of our old crew in Mighty Mojo. I'm starting my third tri season and am hoping to get 5 or 6 tris in and a half marathon or two in 2012. I'm 53 and live in Spokane Washington, Northeast Washington ninety miles from Canada and fifteen miles from Idaho. I'm an assistant superintendent of a local school district, my wife is in her thirtieth year of teaching, I also teach in the WSU Graduate School for Principal preparation. We have three kids 29, 31, and 33, two are docs and one is a stay at home mom. Six grand kids between 4 1/2 and two weeks. For anyone else looking for a mentor group you simply can't do better than Steve. He responds to every post and is a prolific poster himself which encourages everyone else to join the posting fray as well.Training: Right now 4 runs (7, 5, 4, 3), three swims (2400, 1600, 1600), two bikes (45 minutes each on my trainer), and two weight sessions a week.Weight Loss Goal: currently 6'2" and 215, want to be at 185 by June 1st.

Edited by Sementi 2011-12-19 9:03 PM
2011-12-19 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3944630

User image

Champion

TYLER -

USM - same place as that Brett guy went to? Just checking!

Scratch beneath the surface of any two million triathletes, and you won't find more than about two who got into it by way of cycling across the U.S. of A. Impressive, and highly commendable. i genuflect in your general direction!

Congrats on hitting 13 miles. Tack on a few more yards and you'll be an unoffical half-marathoner! Congrats also on the aggressive running program you're doing, and the cross-training and strength work you are augmenting it with.

HUGE congrats on shattering your race goal, too. Mercy! How much of that was due to "gosh-shucks" modesty in setting the goal, and how much was just simply scorching the course? If the latter, I'd be curious to know it which ways you surprised yourself?

That's two intersting HIM you are looking at. I am very ibntrigued by NO, especially, partly because I just love NO. But the course is very cool, with the Lake Pon swim (when it's not cancelled, a la this past April), and the flatflatflat bike and the ultra-cool point-to-point run that ends up in Jackson Square. Wheee!

And as for Augusta --- current-assisted swim, bike that finishes with many miles of descent, and flatflatflat run. Nice touches, all!

Yes, strength training can tend to do that -- add poundage along with the bulkage. I alweays felt it was adecent trade-off....mostly....although when I did it big-time it meant I began my race season a few pounds (like, 5-8??) heavier than ideal, which affecetd my run by a minute or so. Hmmmm.

Glad to have you here!

2011-12-19 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3945083

User image

Champion

JEFF, meet JOHANNE; JOHANNE, JEFF.

For the rest of you, Johanne and Jeff aren't new to me, but are new to each other, converging here from separate groups from this past season. Terrific persons both, and you all will quickly come to appreciate their presence here. Halleloo!

2011-12-19 9:54 PM

I'd like to join this group 

Age 39

Bacground in running, four marathons to my name with a PR of 3:42. A few AG awards at shorter distances with 10k being my best distance as well as my favorite to race. Have done a bit of cycling including a few 150 mile two day rides and some metric centuries but that was some time ago. My last marathon was in spring of 09 (that was my PR) but it put me in the back of the ambulance with a liter and a half of IV fluids and I just haven't been able to get back on track. Some injuries including a nasty bout of piriformis. Was thinking about putting myself in the "used to be a runner" category but didn't really want to go that route. Did some trail running, but I just don't have time to drive somewhere to run and I've decided to kick the tires on the tri. I would like to do an International distance as a goal race with at least three sprints during my training. I'm building consistency and have been getting four workouts per week for a handful of weeks and building on that. I respond well to higher volume training.

Not much of a swimmer, am doing 0 to 1650 and am on week two.

Weight is a constant struggle. In 05 I was over 285 and when I PRd the marathon I was at 190. Currently at 225, trending downward and plan on being around 190 for racing season.

Oh, I am absolutely stoked to be here.

2011-12-19 10:02 PM
in reply to: #3945072

User image

Champion

CURT -

Nifty bio, positively brimming with detail; may I take a few installments to respond in full?

Right at the outset, you give me something to research, that being fishing rods. My fishing "career" was a disater, and something from which I have never recovered. It is quite simple --- fishing exclusively as a kid in warm-water lakes in new England, where the catch was always soemthing like sunfish-perch-sunfish-perch-perch-perch-sunfish-sunfish. The next time out would be roughly the same, and multiply that by about 137 fishing excursions. Bah. The scars thsi left on me were so deep that even when I did biological fieldwork in the Canadian north and was ALWAYS on lakes that hadn't ever really been fished by anyone, and the fish were huge and varied and tasty (to those who crave fish as a food).....I never went out with others when they went fishing. Lynn likes fishing: I still don't. Maybe in my nes=xt lifetime it will change (or maybe I will come back as a perch! ).

But I digress!

Ah, another Achilles sufferer, although in your case it sounds well beyond mere tendonitis. "Blown", as in, like, really, really bad?? Oh, my! What was your recovery time from THAT??

For the average bear, 2-3 years is a pretty good timeline for developing into a solid age-grouper. Patience IS key, especially for anyone who doesn't bring at least one (two being preferable) stellar discipline into the tri scene when they enter, so your use of "slowly" denotes some wisdom on your part. As I said in my bio, for a few years I was affiliated with D3 Multisport, and as you might know the three Ds are Desire, Discipline, and Determination --- and I tried to live those every training session during those mid-formative years of '03 through '06. (Were a tattoo sort of guy, i would probably have three big old Ds inked on my person, somewhere or other. Each a different script style, maybe.....)

Great family account, too, and I'm especially curious about all those locales -- notably Dubai and Brussels. The latter gives you some rough geographical connecvtion with Thomas, above!

Hats off to you for persevering through through thsoe early swims; how much furious self-talk was going on after the first one? i have known of many people who have had similar experiences to yours.......and they proved to be deal-breakers for them (at least for triathlons). So, you deserve much credit for a certain degree of toughness and commitment to keep at it -- and look at your attitude and accomplishments now!

Just curious -- have you used a wetsuit for the OWS ones, and, if so, what model do you use?

With two years of doing this stuff, I'd hacve to agree with you that your Base is pretty good. (Isn't it remarkable to think of where you were back then, and where you are now?!?)

Your swim goal is a great one, and you're the first person in my various groups to come up with such a goal. I should check my logs from way back, but I think my earlier days had me at about your current pace, and I eventually made it up to your goal pace. I seem to remember a few nice jumps.....with looooong plateaus separting them. But that was me and you're you, and hopefully for you those plateaus will be shorter and the jumps will be larger!

Finally, I love your comments about you as a mentee, and I'm very glad you're here!

2011-12-19 10:02 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
I'll hang out again this year-bio forthcoming
2011-12-19 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3945104

User image

Champion

GENE, meet JEFF; JEFF, GENE. (And of course you know Johanne already!)

Talk about live and learn!! Given my own background in education......did I really not know about your background in the same field? And your wife's, too?? If you mentioned it, I am aghast that I either missed it.....or maybe FORGOT it. (Oh, noooooo.......!!!!!)

And on top of that, I think all of tht info about the kids and all is new news, too. I really have to go back to the early days of Mojo and see what you said there!

Your current training is terrific, almost off-the-charts calibre. At the current rate, I'd say that 185 goal is very attainable! Weight aside, where you're at now will get you fully prepped for the schedule you mention; I think I detect a "breakout" season for you!

Finally, many thanks for the kind words. I do try to be useful!

2011-12-19 10:21 PM
in reply to: #3945210

User image

Champion

GENERIC CLERIC -

Welcome....even though I'm not sure of your gender!

That's a very fine marathon PR, and it's too bad that it ended in an ambulance. It's also too bad about the injuries that have you questioning your running future, and I'm very gald that you haven't given up entirely. I can tell you that my entry to triathlon came in '00 when I suffered a tibial stress fracture from running-only (wasn't doing ANY swimming or cycling, evereverever), and that in effect becming a three-sport person saved my "career". So, I hope it works like that for you -- that diversifying with cycling and swimming will spare some of the wear-and-tear that pure running can bring on full-bore.

We really will have to talk more about this. Over the years I have proven myself to be hardly "bionic", and my injury rap-sheet is quite long and lurid. I have figured out ways to keep ticking, though, and so there IS hope for you to keep being active and competeive -- and utilizing that impressive run potential you have!

An oly after a few sprints is very reasonable, and for you with your history, highly doable. And when you say "higher volume training", what exactly is that for you?

Stoked to have you!

2011-12-19 10:24 PM
in reply to: #3945221

User image

Champion

JEFF (other Jeff, the one from Texas)!

Happy to find you here......and now just need to figure out a way to differentiate you from Jeff-from-Florida. I might have to make use of his "Hokie" option, mentioned above. Or, we can just all be confused, all the time!

2011-12-19 10:28 PM

User image

Champion

Boy, we're boy-heavy right now, with Johanne being the only "registered' female in our midst. But I think in short order we will bejoined by Trina and Ellen and Alex and Sarah....and who else from the other groups? Anyhow, I expect we'll end up with some approximation of gender-equity, which is always a good thing in a group like this!

Off to bed now -- see you all tomorrow!

2011-12-19 10:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

If you still have room I'd like to join the group. 

I'm retired, 5'8", 192lbs, 61yrs old and trying to build up a base of endurance.  I am Type 2 diabetic with high BP and cholesterol so I need the exercise to help control them.  I joined a gym for the first time in 2007 and have been fairly consistent since.  I lost about 33 lbs after I was diagnosed with the diabetes but I've been struggling to lose a further 33 lbs without any success over the last 4 years.  Aside from that I've never been as fit as I am now and I enjoy working up a sweat.  My only regret is that I didn't learn this a lot sooner.

Living in Penticton I watched IM Canada 2010 and decided I wanted to do it.  So, I volunteered for 5 days at IMC 2011 and looking forward to 2012.

I am currently taking a swimming course and so far I'm enjoying it.  I bought a road bike in July and I am comfortable riding (except for downhill).  I logged a fair number of long rides up to an 80K ride in Sept.  Lately I've moved indoors and I'm riding 20K 3 times a week.  I am a complete beginner in running.  I started running in March this year for the first time since my grade 9 class in 1964!  I can now run/walk 5K in about 38-39 min (running 10 to 16 min intervals and 2 min walking).  I've been working out about 5 days per week at an average of 6 - 8 hrs trying to keep a balance between the three and including some light weights in the off season.

For 2012 I am committed to a 160K Granfondo (Axel Merckx, Penticton) in July and I am considering a duathlon and up to 3 Sprint/Oly events.  I am preferentially aiming more for the Oly distance.

My wife is supportive and loved volunteering at IMC as well.  My main concern is the amount of time required and maintaining a balanced life for family and other interests.

I'm not certain what else would be important for you to know.  As soon as I know whether I'm in or not I'll try and figure out how to use the training log.

George

2011-12-19 11:17 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose

I'm looking forward to blending Steve's 2 previous groups and having new people join in too. Steve has been a great mentor and this will be a great group!

Ok, here goes-

Name-Johanne Roberts

Story-I come from a non-athletic background as far as playing sports growing up. I ran a little bit in college and then picked up running again about 3 years ago. I spent a year running to help lose some weight and then thought it would be fun to try a tri for variety. I first had to learn how to swim and breathe at the same time! I spent my first year doing sprints and finished with an olympic. Last year I did some Olympics and finished with 2 HIM. This next year I'm going to do my first Ironman. It's going to be a huge challenge and I'm really looking forward to it.

Family-I'm 51 now but I'm going to still be 50andgettingfit. Married to Dave for the last 29 years. Mom to Stephen, 25, Kathleen, 23 and Laura, 21. We had an empty nest for a year and then they have started coming back. What is wrong with that picture? Haha! Stephen just graduated from college and is looking for a job. Kathleen graduated and found a job right away and Laura is a junior in college getting ready to spend next semester studying abroad in Paris. Life is pretty good for our kids. I work very part time and spend the rest of my time working out and riding my horses. Life is pretty good for me too.

Current training-I'm in the middle of training for a marathon. The race is the first weekend of February. I'm also getting some biking in using BT's winter cycling plan but I'm only doing 2-3 of those workouts a week because of all the running. I'm swimming here and there for now and will get more consistent after the marathon. In April I'll start my official Ironman training.

2011 Races-First, I have to say, I love to sign up for races. There are just so many fun things to do. This year I did my first marathon, 2 100K bike rides, a Century bike ride, 4 Olympic tri's, 2 HIM's, 1 Muddy Buddy, a 1/2 marathon and a few 10K's.

2012 Races-This will be the year of IMAZ! I've also signed up for another marathon, a duathlon, 2 100K bike rides, a Century, a Sprint, 3 Olympics and a HIM.

2012 Goals-I'd really like to lose 20 lbs by May 1st, stay injury free, complete IMAZ, keep having fun.

Weight Loss-I've lost 55 lbs in the last 3 years and I'd like to lose about 20 more to make it easier on my body. I'm hoping to get through the holidays maintaining and then I'm going to start tracking calories again and get this weight off.

2011-12-19 11:18 PM
in reply to: #3944862

User image

Expert
San Jose
croixfan - 2011-12-19 4:36 PM

If you still have room, I'd like to join you as well.  Will post the bio later.

FYI, Johanne and I were together last session!

Hi Curt

2011-12-20 12:25 AM

User image

New user

Hi, I'm Jo and would love to join this mentoring group if there's still room and you're willing to take on a brand spankin' newbie

NAME: Jo

STORY: I'm 25 and just signed up for my first tri last week along with my best friend, her husband, and my boyfriend.  I've been active for most of my life (played soccer through high school, competed on the Varsity Fencing team in college), but have never competed in an individual sport like this before.  The summer after college, I biked across the US to raise money and awareness for affordable housing, so of the 3 events, I guess you could say that cycling is my strong suit.  That being said, while my knowledge of and comfort on the bike is good, I have not been riding consistently so am not in good biking shape now.

FAMILY: Unmarried, but in a relationship and my boyfriend is signed up for the same tri as I am.

CURRENT TRAINING: I feel like my base level of fitness is pretty good (being 25 helps), but I don't currently have a consistent exercise regime. I like being active and rock climb and bike occasionally.  Gearing up for ski season.  Purchased a one-month unlimited pass for a Dailey Method (combo barre method/pilates/strength training) studio near my house, and have been going ~2x/week.

2011 RACES: n/a

2012 RACES: My first tri will be the Golden Gate Triathlon (sprint distance) in June.  Depending on how that goes, I may sign up for another race later in the year.

2012 GOALS: Given this is my first tri, my goal is to finish with a smile on my face

WEIGHTLOSS: Losing a few pounds would be nice, but my bigger focus is on my fitness level and how I feel rather a number. I'm 5'9", 165 lbs.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MightyMojoMentorGroup -- (Full House!) Rss Feed  

of 216