BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2012-03-28 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3943430

New user
Subject: Swim Drills

Quick question about Swim Drills on the training plan.  The book (starting out triathlon) cites one example of a swim drill, where you take two right arm strokes followed by two left....but when I see 100 yd. swim drill on my plan, I can't imagine it;'s that same drill every time?  Maybe I am reading this wrong. 

The plan I used last year was more basic for swimming, so I was more focused on completing the swimming for endurance vs. improving many aspects of swimming.  Since I am doing an open water, and the swim portion is much longer then in a pool, swimming improvement is more important -

Any help would be great.

2012-04-02 9:43 AM

User image

New user

Keller, TX
Subject: RE: Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED
I ran my half marathon on Saturday.  I finished in 2 hours 18 minutes.  Slower than I had hoped, but overall I am pleased with my race.  The course was extremely HILLY and it was HUMID.  Those really took a toll on me.  This week I will rest and then I will begin my triathlon training plan!
2012-04-02 8:42 PM
in reply to: #4124387

New user
Congrats to you!!! 
2012-04-02 11:22 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

I'm sorry everybody!  ALL, and I mean ALL, of my BT notifications have started going to my spam folder!!!!!!  I thought no one was commenting for the past week!!!!  I was wondering why I wasn't getting any BT stuff on links to which I posted, and now I know why!!!!!!!!!!! 

I haven't been ignoring you! I'm looking forward to catching up on my reading and commenting!!!

(how frustrating!) Yell

2012-04-02 11:26 PM
in reply to: #4124387

User image

Expert
C-bus

Trainerh - 2012-04-02 10:43 AM I ran my half marathon on Saturday.  I finished in 2 hours 18 minutes.  Slower than I had hoped, but overall I am pleased with my race.  The course was extremely HILLY and it was HUMID.  Those really took a toll on me.  This week I will rest and then I will begin my triathlon training plan!

Congratulations!  Looks like your nutrition was just fine!

In the week leading up to a race, nothing should change.  Keep eating good, solid carbs, protein, {some} fat.  Just make sure you cut out any extra fiber the day or two before the race...  but my advice is later than when it was expected.

That's a great time especially with hills and humidity!  Be proud of your accomplishment and focus in on your next one!

2012-04-02 11:32 PM
in reply to: #4118015

User image

Expert
C-bus
Subject: RE: Swim Drills
kknickrehm - 2012-03-28 9:53 PM

Quick question about Swim Drills on the training plan.  The book (starting out triathlon) cites one example of a swim drill, where you take two right arm strokes followed by two left....but when I see 100 yd. swim drill on my plan, I can't imagine it;'s that same drill every time?  Maybe I am reading this wrong. 

The plan I used last year was more basic for swimming, so I was more focused on completing the swimming for endurance vs. improving many aspects of swimming.  Since I am doing an open water, and the swim portion is much longer then in a pool, swimming improvement is more important -

Any help would be great.

Since I was a non-trained (meaning, no swim team experience) swimmer, I had no clue what kind of drills were out there.  If you do a quick internet search, you can find a lot of good drills to do.  Drills are to keep your form in check, not necessarily strengthen your muscles to perform faster, although that can happen when form is improved.  You can pick and choose which drills you want to do.  To improve distance, you'll want to do longer intervals (300s, 500s, etc) and to increase speed, you'll want drills (for form improvement/maintennance) and shorter intervals (25s, 100s, 150s, etc.).  Unfortunately, the best way to improve is to join a masters program or get lessons...

hope it helps!

2012-04-28 6:29 PM

New user
Wow, it's quiet out there in BT land!  I jumped on to say how thankful I am for training plans.  We have a crappy day here in NC, and I can almost guarantee I would not have done my 100 minute workout today (BRICK) if it hadn't been for that plan!!!!  Also, the local open water tri that I signed up for May 20 was cancelled, so we are taking the whole family to Charleston on May 20 for their triathlon.  I am so excited.  My first half marathon was there, too.  Happy Training!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12