Tuscobia Trail Race
24F / -4C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 06m 15s
Overall Rank = 5/15
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Night before Gearcheck. Measure exact amounts of water and Infinit custom blend to cover 100oz Camelbak. Replaced all pertinent batteries, flashers, headlamp, etc. Most of the week drinking minimum 4ea 16oz water. Found 8 is far too much for me and brings about overhydration. Ran 2 mile run on treadmill at race pace midweek. Did nothing otherwise. Night before I ate Vegan deluxe pizza from Papa Murphy. Excellent. Bed early
Event warmup:

No warmup. Got up drank 2 cups of coffee. Mixed 2 scoops of Infinit into my 20oz bottle and nursed that in the morning prior to the race start. Only ate a small 2x3inch homemade vegan energy bar. Basically suited up and hit the trail. Nothing fancy.
Run
  • 7h 06m 15s
  • 35.16 miles
  • 12m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Everything went better than excellent. Ran out of water exactly when I thougt I would, but neglected to refill with ice cold water. Should of got some water anyways. Trail was rough but not much you can do about that. Good training and preparation paid off. Was used to carrying all my gear anyway and I think it was advantageous. Salomon Speedcross 3 with screws worked great. Lost most of the screws though.
What would you do differently?:

Refill my water at the opportunity. Taking 2 mins would have made it a bit easier later.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a cup of water and hopped in my car and stopped by a gasstation for Gatorade. Ate two egg sandwiches when I got home. Put on my compression tights and went to bed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Trail conditions.

Last updated: 2011-11-02 12:00 AM
Running
07:06:15 | 35.16 miles | 12m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 5/15
Performance: Good
Heart rate was high the first 10 miles. Took off too fast. (nothing new there) but once I had a decent lead in front of the group I dropped down to 152 t 160 and started to pursue each runner in front of me until passing them. Had elevated heartrate during last 2 miles. Probably 172. Feeling good
Course: Snowmobile trail. Ungroomed. Rutted with various biological and mechanical means. Snowmobiles, cars, sleds, bikes, wolves, dogs, foot prints, skies, you name it. First 10 miles had some packed narrow lines to run in and then crossed a road and 3 inch crust that dropped my race speed down to 13 min miles. Ouch. Very frustrating. Adapted by running on various bike ruts when available. Crunchy probably 60% of the time. Rough. Major leg burn!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-12-19 12:45 PM

User image

Subject: Tuscobia Trail Race 50K

2011-12-19 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3944263

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: RE: Tuscobia Trail Race 50K
Awesome race! Wow... how do you keep your extremities from getting cold? I have to constantly move my hands when they start to get cold. Brrrr.. True to the Crappy Winter Weather Challenge x 10 ! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tuscobia Trail Race 50K Rss Feed