BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Let's Get It Started! with chrisbowers mentor group - CLOSED and ROLLING! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2011-12-19 6:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
Subject: Let's Get It Started! with chrisbowers mentor group - CLOSED and ROLLING!

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now
NAME: chrisbowers / Chris
STORY: I'm a former high school and college soccer player. I got stuck behind a desk in my professional career and basically sunk into the couch at home after many years of playing soccer. I gained way too much weight, got no exercise and didn't eat right. I decided that I wanted to reclaim my fitness and make sure I didn't have any health issues. Now I'm having a ball with triathlon. It fills a competitive nature in me and gives me goals to strive towards each day. I love seeing how my times in training compare to days or weeks or months or years past. I love seeing how fast I can go, how hard I can push. I'm not where I want to be, but I'm on my way.
FAMILY STATUS: Married (17 yrs), Two Daughters (12 yrs & 10yrs
CURRENT TRAINING: I just started my outseason training two weeks ago after being pretty laid back in October and November. I typically train alone, with occasional group rides with the LBS or my tri team, runs with my wife or occasionally with my daughters (very cool!), and a masters class every once in awhile.
PREVIOUS YEAR'S RACES: 2009 - Natchez Trace Sprint, Memphis In May Olympic, Dragonfly Sprint, Showman Shooter Sprint, St. Jude Half Marathon. 2010 - Germantown Half Marathon, Los Locos Duathlon, Memphis In May Olympic, Dragonfly Sprint, Showman Shooter Sprint, Branson 70.3. 2011 - Germantown Half Marathon, New Orleans 70.3, Memphis In May Olympic, Showman Shooter Sprint, Nashvegas 70.3.
2012 RACES:  Tentative at this point Germantown Half Marathon, Los Locos Duathlon, Memphis In May Olympic, Dragonfly Sprint, Showman Shooter Sprint, Nashvegas 70.3, St. Jude Marathon.  Definite at this point IMFL (my first).  Everything else points to that race.
WEIGHTLOSS: When I first started logging here at BT I weighed 243 lbs. Before I started logging here I had gotten up to around 265 lbs.  Not good if your only 5'8". When I did my first HIM in September of 2010 I weighed 187 lbs. I added back 21 lbs. Weight is a constant issue for me to work on. After competing most of the 2011 season around 190-195 lbs, I am looking to get to around 165 lbs. before the start of the 2012 season at the end of March. 
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Three years ago, I was where most of you are now. Curious about triathlon and interested in the sport. I thought about it for years of doing nothing and finally decided to make it happen and stop sitting on the sidelines. It's been a great ride so far. Who knows where it will take me from here.

It's a choice that you have to make each day!  Am I going to live life or am I going to sit on the sidelines?  I'm living life!

Edited by chrisbowers 2011-12-29 2:15 PM

2011-12-23 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3944868

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Let's Get It Started! with chrisbowers mentor group - OPEN
This is just a quick plug for Chris!  I have known him for 3-4 years, raced him and trained with him. He is a great guy and will really be able to help anybody in his group!
2011-12-23 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
I have been in an awesome mentor group, but being the oldest one by a long way (55) and very slow I was feeling a bit out of place. I am looking for a goup that has a good mix. I struggle with injuries, but love sprint tri's. This year I have a the Canyonlands 1/2 Mary in March, St. George Tri in May and Kokopelli Tri in September already on my race list I would love to join your mentor group if I can.
2011-12-23 2:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
Welcome aboard! You're the first to join in this go round. I'm 40, so already we are starting to diversify the age groups. Sounds like a good season shaping up for you. My big race is pointing to IMFL (my first).
2011-12-23 11:39 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Let's Get It Started! Jeff Irby "bearun" wants to join.
2011-12-25 12:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
Jeff, welcome! Glad you're here. <br><br>Merry Christmas to both of you.

2011-12-25 4:56 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Shopping around for a new mg as my last one dissolved....sometimes you luck out on the first "tri" and I already am liking the general post of this group.  I am a 47 year old previous couch potato. Last season was my second season and there were small improvements but would like to do better, (finished last in my first OLY).  This off season started with hitting the gym to add some strength.  I have been grinding out miles the past month but nothing too organized and did not log any training.

Ready to start training for the season and hoping to find a great group to hang with for the winter.

2011-12-25 7:02 PM

User image

Regular
Pick a city... I travel a lot
Sounds like this might be a good group for me.  Looking to do my first Tri in August 2012... I've got the Little Rock Marathon in March and a duathlon in May or June.  Just started swimming last month, so I can use all the advice I can get!
2011-12-25 9:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
Liking the way this group is shaping up. I sure could use a little kick in the pants to get moving so glad to see every one coming in. Hope you all had a great Christmas.
2011-12-25 11:13 PM

Vancouver

Hello Chris,

Goal Eat Healthy, exercise regularly, run some races this summer.

Looking for a group that is enjoying the journey and movivated to stick with a program.

I Have the tools and resources, access to home gym, membership to local gym with pool, friends to ride my bike, etc....

Just need some commraderie, coaching, friendship, mentorship and Focus on some goals. This will lead to going from current weight of 230 to 180? Have done this before but want to have fun and keep the weight off.

Now unlike before I'm a new diabetic, employed after 14 years of self employment (less hours at work, less stress, less liability, having much more fun and making more money

Dad of 5 daughters ages 13years to 17 months. Done trying for boys and WILL NOT have 6 daughters for sure!

Looking forward to a renewed 2012.

Best Regards,

Marc Pitcher

2011-12-26 9:57 PM

I'm in if you're still open.Have a long way to go though....I will go work on my profile now.

2011-12-26 10:02 PM

I'm an almost 50 year old female who really wants to go at this a second time, the right way. Broke my foot/ankle 3 years ago when I was getting started and never picked it back up again.

The description of how you got to where you are, and the fact that I have two children as well, tells me you might get me back up off the couch and out from behind my desk again.

Looking forward to 'that feeling' again. Thanks for offering to mentor.

2011-12-26 11:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
I've been traveling with the family back from Christmas vacation. It was a very short one. Left Friday, drove 545 miles, had Christmas and turned around and did it all in reverse today. Glad to be home. I did get a 6 mile trail run in with my wife on Christmas Eve (very cool!).<br><br>Definitely still open. Everyone is welcome to keep adding to our numbers. I think we will keep adding until we have around 15 people. <br><br>Welcome to SportzVision, Steven.davis, Marc and vdnelson1. We're glad to have you. <br><br>It would help if we each knew a little bit more about each other, if everyone is comfortable sharing (after all we all run around or will run around in spandex in front of the rest of the world). Let's start with real names (if you don't mind), where you live in the world, gender, age, tri experience, goals from this group. If you want to share anything more, that is very good too.<br><br>I'm really excited about our group.
2011-12-26 11:46 PM
in reply to: #3954693

Vancouver

Chris / GROUP,

Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear youR back and got a run in, with that quick trip.

I live in Vancouver, WA (USA) next to Portland Oregon.

Raised in Colorado Springs, CO and enjoyed many outdoor activities at a young age, hiking, skiing, football, wrestling, ran cross country first year of college.

Male, 44 yrs. old, married for 18 years next month. 5 Daughters 13yrs to 17 months.

I have messed around doing a lot of cycling over the past 10 years. Was doing centuries and several local rides across the NW and lost 50 pounds. Then had 4 daughters in less than 5 years (no twins) last two BIG unexpected surprises. Just got out of the routines and working 60-70 hours a week. Due to BIG changes in my industry finally decided to stop running my own business after 14 years in September. Since then have enjoyed my work immensely the past few months, doing what I enjoy.

My goals are simple starting out.

#1 think and set goals this week. What do I want to accomplish? How will get it done using BT website and MG as part of my resources.

#2 Assess equipment and time that will be committed. (this week) (will set a schedule, Considering upgrading my account to Bronze and beginning one of their routines? Any suggestions?)

#3 Select some runs, cycling, and 1-2 triathlons (sprints) this year. (Homework and get ideas this week, have a few in mind)

#4. Begin the process of eating nutritiously, exercising alone and in groups. (have been doing this, just more consistant, and logging food, May use another site that I'm familiar with for this, plus have things set up there)

#5. Learn what I can from people in the mentor group, read articles on the site, begin logging the exercise.

HAVE FUN, ENJOY THE JOURNEY, STAY COMMITTED TO GOALS, AND HELP OTHERS WERE I CAN TO REACH THEIR GOALS!

2011-12-27 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Nice South of France
Hi, I definitely need a mentor. Wondering can you help. I go from injury to injury. Hoping to do Ironman France 2012. I am 44, currently torn miniscus, don't run a lot. To date I have run 10k a semi marathon, and two sprint triathlons, have done very little training in the last 2 weeks, due to injury/holiday, trying to get back in the saddle and seek out that consistency... any help , guidance kicks in the would be appreciated.
2011-12-27 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT

Glad you are back

I am a 56 year old female. I just got back into competing in anything two years ago after putting on a LOT of wieght. I am married with two grown daughters and three grandchildren.

I am a landscape artist with works in several galleries in the SAlt lake area. I also have two part time jobs to help pay the bills until the economy picks up.

I have complete two tris in 2010 and this year DNF the only one I started due to freezing cold water and under training. I did complete a du and a 1/2 Mary and several 5 k's this year.I am training and signed up for a March 1/2 Mary and a May and Sept sprint tri.

I am struggling with a calf injury and have had 5 rt knee scopes so have to be careful with it.

Goals are to

1. Lose 15 lbs minimum through cosistant training and better eating habits.

2. finish all three races as well as a few B races in the middle

3.increase my running speed

I am looking forward to being part of a group that interacts a lot and helps kick me into staying on track. I can say that seeing a video of me on FB playing "just Dance" on the Wii was pretty good motivation to make today a work out day!

real name is Terry

Edited by Artist 2011-12-27 5:57 PM

2011-12-27 4:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania

I'd like to join if you still have room.  I took last year off due to hip bursitis (that is still a problem) but need to find a way to get back into some consistant training.  I'll fill in the details in the morning if that's o.k.

Art

2011-12-27 4:22 PM

Brawley (Middle of the Desert), CA
I will love to join if you have room and will take me!  Bio to follow.
2011-12-27 7:19 PM

New user

Northwestern PA

If there is still room, I'd love to join. I'm a 57 year old male; this will be my first year at triathlon. I come from a running backround (5k, 10k, and half marys). Will start with a swim coach (I can only swim maybe one lap of a 25 yard pool)in the next week, so, swimming will be the big thing.

Al  

2011-12-27 9:18 PM

Hello Chris & Group,

Looking forward to a healthier 2012 (and a support group to keep me honest and motivated). 

NAME: Wendy
STORY: I'm a full-time professional health care provider, wife & mom.  In order to lose baby weight, I did my 1st (and only) Sprint Tri 9 months after my last son was born and did a bit of overtraining with too much post-baby joint laxity resulting in an injury.  I'm recovered & after gaining most of the weight back, I'm ready to start training again.  Growing up, I was a competitive swimmer & still love swimming.  Running/walking is something that I've come to enjoy, but biking is my weak link.  I think I've come to love triathlon's b/c I like to follow a plan & see it work (also have a bit of "exercise ADD" & I love mixing it up with all 3 sports).  REALLY want to do another sprint triathlon for my 40th b-day (April).
FAMILY STATUS: Married (15 yrs), Two Sons (7 yrs & 2 yrs
CURRENT TRAINING:  Doing some walking, running, & strength training to get back on track during my vacation week.  Also, laying out a training plan for the next 16-22 weeks so that I can do another sprint triathlon in early spring - through summer.
PREVIOUS YEAR'S RACES: None last year.  Last race was July 2010 - Fit to Fight, Mason, OH
2012 RACES:  Looking for a late spring race (someplace warm so that I can celebrate my 40th after the race!).  Also, hoping to do a few 5K races between now & April.  Would like to compete in 2-4 sprint distances from April - September
WEIGHTLOSS:  Huge goal of mine is to not just lose weight but to get healthy for the long haul.  I've got 2 active boys that I want to keep up with.  Weight has been an issue for me and one of my goals is to drop 20-30lbs by September 2012.

2011-12-27 9:44 PM

User image

Hi Chris! I would like to join your group. I read your story and it sounded just like me and I mean exactly (except I am 46). I played soccer in HS and college, became couch potato, have two girls age 20 and 23, etc. I have committed to a Sprint in May and an International/Olympic in June. In August of 2011, my wife and I decided we were done with our unhealthy lifestyle. I started in August at 216 pounds (I am 5'8") and by November I had lost 36 pounds. I have maintained the weight loss through the holidays and have continued with weights and cardio. Now, I have just committed to 2012, purchased a bike and need to train for this.

I look forward to getting some guidance from you and the rest of the group.

Jay

2011-12-28 2:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Nice South of France
By the way my real name is Collie, :-) or Colm. I am Irish, I live in the south of France, Father of two , aged 44 ( wow already)..... I have smoked most of my life, gave up 6 years ago ( for the third and last time)... smoked from the age of 11 till 24 and then from 27 till 38. I live in Nice and train in the hills around me. I am in my second tri club and neither have been very good, but I have learned how to swim at least. Lots of problems with a disc hernia in my neck ( it was taken out and replaced) and a disc hernia at hip level ( which I live with).. gives plenty of ligament issues in the joints below.. injured frequently , not very flexible , so I took up yoga last summer and that made a difference. 
2011-12-28 6:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania

NAME: Reid15/Art
STORY: I started running in my 20's.  Although I've always been slow and a little heavy, I enjoyed being active.  After a couple marathons and two knee surgeries, I started cross training and turned to triathlons.  I took swimming lessons, bought a bike and was on my way.  I developed hip bursitis while training for Ironman Wisconsin and took last year off.

FAMILY STATUS: Married (26 yrs), no kids
CURRENT TRAINING: I haven't been doing anything consistantly.

PREVIOUS YEAR'S RACES: 2010 Eagleman 70.3, Ironman Wisconsin, Philly Tri (sprint)

2012 RACES:  Nothing scheduled yet.
WEIGHTLOSS: I put on about 20 lbs. since last winter mostly because I have a sweet tooth and didn't adjust my eating habits to match my reduced activity level

GOALS:  Get back to some consistent training.

2011-12-28 11:36 AM

User image

Tyler, Texas

I would like to join.

Name:  kengood/ Ken W. Good

Story:  I am 50 years old and in April of last year I got up and looked in the mirror and saw my Dad (he carries most of his extra weight in his stomach). I decided that I had to make a change.  I bought a road bicycle and started riding.  The first day I rode one mile and thought I was going to die and then I still had to ride another mile to get home.  I am now up to 34 miles and I have lost 35 pounds in the process.  My wife says that I cannot do anything half way.  If I decide to do something, I am all in.

Family Status:  Married (15 years) with two daughters (6 yrs and 12 yrs). Our 
 6 year old had a bone marrow transplant last year to address a really rare condition that she was born with and is doing great currently.

Why I want to Join:  A good friend and I started riding bicycles at about the same time.  We have challenged each other to do our first tri and have registered for on on June 3rd in the Dallas area.  Our training program starts on January 1st.

Edited by kengood 2011-12-28 11:37 AM
2011-12-28 12:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
Welcome to all the new additions since my last post: Collie, Art, lmhutch, AL, Wendy, Jay & Ken. <br><br>This is going to be a great season, and I think we can all learn a lot from each other. You all have experiences that can benefit the group. Don't hesitate to share them.<br><br>A couple of ways to make this work well:<br><br>1) Add each other as friends in the training log section. This will let you keep up with each other's training and goals. It will also let you give"inspires" to each other along the way.<br><br>2) Log your training in the training log. This allows others to help keep you accountable and allows you to ask "training" based questions (someone can look at the logs and say "based on your volume, times, etc...).<br><br>3) Post regularly in our forum with questions, what you did today, challenges, etc.... If we have specific things to talk about it makes it more relevant. Chances are if you have a question someone else in the group has a similar question.<br><br>More about that to come later.<br><br>So, to start us off: I got a 7.30 mile run in last night. With the dog and without headphones. It was good to get out and clear my head. What did you do yesterday? What have you planned or already done today?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Let's Get It Started! with chrisbowers mentor group - CLOSED and ROLLING! Rss Feed  

of 25