General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I ready? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-05-02 9:22 PM

User image

Papillion, Nebraska
Subject: Am I ready?
As of now, I can run 5k in under 20 minutes, I can swim 500 yards in under 10 minutes, and I probably bike relatively fast. My question is this...how much will those times differ when I have to combine all three in one triathlon? Note, I have never done a triathlon before. Thank you very much for any insight you can offer!

2006-05-02 10:00 PM
in reply to: #413008

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: RE: Am I ready?
You are never going to really know until you try one - so commit yourself to a sprint distance one by entering it.
  • .and don't forget to practice a few "bricks" (most useful bike followed straight by run) and that may even answer your own question!

• Have fun. Just do it
    2006-05-02 10:08 PM
    in reply to: #413040

User image

Papillion, Nebraska
    I've heard this term "brick" as of recent. What exactly does it entail?
    2006-05-02 10:31 PM
    in reply to: #413047

User image

Expert
    Malvern, England
    A brick is just a workout where one of the three disciplines of triathlon is followed directly by the other (most useful in triathlon order which is normally swim, bike, run). The most common brick people do is the bike to run. Set up your running shoes/ gear at home or wherever you start your ride, then go out for your bike ride and immediately you come back go straight out for a short run (I have been told timewise about 4 to 1 ratio is good for this so if you bike 40minutes, run 10).
    The idea is for you to get used to what it feels like when you make a transition. Running straight after you get off the bike can take some getting used to - the first time my legs felt like lead but it usually goes away after some minutes gently running.

Jackie
    2006-05-03 9:10 AM
    in reply to: #413061

User image

Papillion, Nebraska
    That was very helpful...thank you! I have one more question though. I am currently on a 13 week training program for the Cornhusker State Games Triathlon and I was wondering during which weeks should I practice these bricks? In other words, when do bricks usually get incorporated into one's training regimen?
    2006-05-03 8:06 PM
    in reply to: #413359

User image

Expert
    Malvern, England
    I am a beginner myself really so just getting to know all the tips and jargon but from what I have heard do at least a couple of bricks in the weeks before your race.
    Me...I kept wondering what they felt like so did some way in advance of my first race.
    Nothing to stop you doing them anytime, even if you just run for 5minutes after biking to get a feel. Different people take a different amount of time to feel they are starting to run "normally"
    good luck

2006-05-04 10:48 AM

Brick(s) every week! Especially for you. At under a 6:27 5k pace you easily rank among the top 10% in foot speed, your problem will be tired legs after the bike. I have seen so many serious runners get surprised at how slow they go after a hard bike. The key is sport specific training. You need to train your legs to run fast off the bike. Pros lose no more than 15 sec per mile pace in Olympic distance races, and less in sprints.

IMHO, a good runner, like yourself, should run 10-20 minutes after EVERY bike ride to really condition your legs and do a 60 minute threshold bike-run brick once per week. It will make all the difference in the world. You cannot underestimate the need for sport specific training.
    2006-05-04 12:40 PM

User image

Master
    La Crosse
    jam33 - 2006-05-02 10:22 PM

As of now, I can run 5k in under 20 minutes,

I hate you.

Actually, a sub-20 5K has been my goal for over a year, and I think there's a possibility I could make it this year. Maybe. So clearly you have some serious fitness; all you need to do is get the transition skills down and you'll rock.

You're ready.

AND I hate you.
    2006-05-04 1:03 PM

User image

Master
    Athens, Ga.

For real. You're way too fast.

You might want to do a mini tri, self-inflicted of course. Basically, swim a little bit, bike a bit and run a bit. It will give you an idea of how not to spend all your energy during the swim and how it feels like to bike when you're still soaking wet, or close to it. So, have you signed up for one?

2006-05-04 1:27 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

You could read Iron Will for some insight into this.  There's lots of stories of the early years of the Ironman and how different athletes did when they tried the Ironman.  Since nobody had a tri background it is very interesting.  There's one story in particular of a very fast marathoner (can't remember his name).  I think he ran like a 2:20 or 2:40 marathon at the time.  He was doing ok throught the swim and his bike was respectable.  He hit the wall on the run and ended up with a 4:30 marathon split. 

They talk about one of the things that made Mark Allen great, especially in the beginning, was he had a natural ability to 'run off the bike'.  I think that one skill may be (from what I've read in books and here at BT) the single most important ability to train if speed is your goal.

And I hate you too you speedy little varmint.

2006-05-04 1:39 PM
    in reply to: #414705

User image

Papillion, Nebraska
    Man, it's nice to get advice from people who have done this many a time! Anyway, so after EVERY bike ride I should jog a little?? Also what do you mean by the "do a 60 minute threshold bike-run brick"?? Thanks again!!! I guess I never considered myself among the top 10% in running. Don't worry, it WON'T go to my head. I just go out there and run in my own little world.

2006-05-04 1:44 PM
    in reply to: #414863

User image

Papillion, Nebraska
    Thank you....I guess Honestly, I had NO idea my time was that respectable. I've only two 5ks before. I always finished on top but I just figured they were no REAL runners racing with me. Maybe I shouldn't underestimate myself. In any case, thanks and keep pushing yourself. I would recommend something, but like I said, I don't feel like my running capabilities are all that special. The only problem I have in the races I have done is that I start off way too fast(with the pack). It's just not my style, but I feel that if I don't that I won't be able to hang. I'm working on it (setting my own pace). That's all!
    2006-05-04 10:39 PM

User image

Veteran
    Nebraska
    Yeah, you'll be fine. Several of us will see you at the Cornhusker State Games. Stick around after the podium, and I'll probably be crossing the finish line about then. You are wicked fast man. Did you do the State Farm run, or Novartis?

Kevin
    2006-05-04 10:56 PM
    in reply to: #415377

User image

Papillion, Nebraska
    No, I have only done two races. One was last year at The Univ. of NE @ Kearney (5K) and the other was just a few weeks ago. It was the Maverick Stampede (4K). Besides those, I have always just ran for my own sake, to keep a nice looking body I guess. However, I think I am going to sign up for the 5mile run for Boys Town (May 27??) and I REALLY want to do the Corporate Cup!!! It would be nice to run beyond a 5K for once to see how I would fare. Honestly, though, I don't think I am as good as you all may think I am...seriously. I have yet to do a triathlon, but I cannot Frickin' wait!!! Good luck to all!
    2006-05-05 5:54 AM

Dude, you are a serious runner. A 20 minute 5k will place in the top 5-10 people in most local races and in the top 10% of serious regional races and the top 1%-5% of major 5ks (get a lot of slower runners). Better yet you seem to be an untrained athlete who probably never ran track, had a coach etc. With the right training you could drop that time by 10% over the next 2 years and be a local road racing stud. But I like that you want to do Tri's instead.

Yes, run after EVERY bike workout, if you can. You need to train your legs to run when fatigued.

Threshold bike-run brick is a bike workout followed by a run at your anaerobic (or lactate) threshold (AT) pace. This is 75%-85% of your max heart rate for the entire workout. It will seem relatively easy at the beginning, but hard at the end. This threshold is the pace where your body is still flushing out the lactate in your muscles, this is not race pace. So if your max HR is 190 the workout should be at 140-160. Do the first workouts at the low end and move up over time. If you do not monitor HR then do a pace at 6-7 exertion level. If it was just a run, for your fitness it would probably be 7:15s to 7:40s per mile. The goal of this workout (which I consider the most important) is to teach you to feel comfortable at your AT, produce maximum fitness gains because you are at your highest level without lactate build up, and to move your AT up. BTW, Lance Armstrong has the highest AT ever tested at 95% of his max HR. That means he can go at this crazy-high level essentially forever.

Note that although your max HR is really a physiologically "hard" number, it practice it is different for each sport. Unless you are a serious cyclist or a national-class swimmer you will not be able to reach the same HR level in those disciplines than you do running. So use the sport specific HRs.

AC
    2006-05-05 8:58 AM
    in reply to: #415454

User image

Papillion, Nebraska
    You've got to be kidding me when you say I have the potential of placing in the top 10% in regional races!! I mean it...are you serious? As you have already detected, I am a "raw" runner w/ absolutely no prior experience, coaching, etc. Like I said, I just always ran for good health and body of course. Anyway, I did post a new thread titled "My very first brick...". If you want, you can read that and see how it went. One member STRONGLY suggests I run after EVERY time I bike. What is your stance on that?

Plus, I really appreciate you taking time to write full in-depth suggestions for me, especially for FREE!! I have to admit that it would/is hard for me to run at just a 6 or 7 level. I guess I'm not very educated on the importance of maintaining a specific heart rate as of yet. Simply put, I just try to push myself as hard as I can every time I am training. Perhaps, I am too impatient??

Anyway, thanks for the wise words!

2006-05-05 2:16 PM

20 mintues is the real deal, especially "raw."

Consider:

- NY Road Runners Club has some of the most competitive races on the east coast. The Coogan's Salsa, Blues & Shamrocks 5K had 2,800 runners and a 20-minute 5k would have placed 143rd (5%), the winner ran 14:42 this is a serious race. The Randall's Island 5K had 1,500 runners, a winning time of 15:06, and 20:00 would have been 120th.
    - The Gasparilla Distance Classic is one of the largest 5ks in the country with 7,000 runners, 20 minute is 136th place
    - In races with under 150 people (90% of races out there) your time will consistently be in the top 10 people unless a serious field shows up
    - I know, that is what I run, as well
    - It is not mind-blowing speed, that is what sub-16 is, but the reality is that very few people can hold 6:26s

The fact is that most 5k races have a handful of highly trained runners going sub-18, a couple serious club runners in the 18-20 range, then the 20s. The vast majority of people in the race will never do sub-25, much less 20.

IMHO, you should run off the bike every time, because you have serious running ability, but need to learn how to run fatigued.
    2006-05-05 2:23 PM
    in reply to: #416068

User image

Papillion, Nebraska
    I will definitely run after every time I bike. Should I do the distnace for the particular tri that I will be doing? Or just a jog? Man, with just a little more practice, I just might be able to get to the 18 or so range.
    2006-05-05 2:33 PM

10-20 minutes at an easy pace (or a little more than easy). This is not the "true" brick just trying to build muscle memory and getting your body used to the sport you want to pursue. You have to watch out for running too hard, too often, which is easy to do with so much running.

When you do your "true" bricks it is a different story - close to race pace.

To get to 18, which would be HOT, I suggest track workouts. Nothing is better for developing running speed than true interval training.

Good luck!
    2006-05-06 1:21 PM
    in reply to: #416068

User image

Regular
    Boulder, CO
    actri - 2006-05-05 1:16 PM

- In races with under 150 people (90% of races out there) your time will consistently be in the top 10 people unless a serious field shows up

I agree that a 20-minute 5k is good, and far better than most runners ever achieve. However, around here it's only enough to get you into the top 20-30% of a local 5k. For example, you might take 25th place at a race with 100 runners.

It sounds like you know very little about training methods. With some work and smart training I bet you could become very good. You will definitely hold your own on the run segment of any triathlons you enter. Have fun!
    2006-05-06 4:48 PM
    in reply to: #416568

bock - 2006-05-06 2:21 PM

I agree that a 20-minute 5k is good, and far better than most runners ever achieve. However, around here it's only enough to get you into the top 20-30% of a local 5k. For example, you might take 25th place at a race with 100 runners.

Do not mean to disagree, but even in a hotbed of athletics like the Front Range, a 20 minute 5k is better than top 20%-30%. I race in NY/NJ and I do notice a difference between some local races (non-NYRRC) here and in Colorado (i.e. faster in Colorado), but consider what a 20 flat would do in the April races from Colorado Runner (http://www.coloradorunnermag.com/results/April2006.html)

Fairmont 5000 - 7th place out of 300
    Mud Hen 5k - 3rd place of of 300
    Dash & Dine 5k - 15th out of 100 (this Dash & Dine seems to attract a serious field)
    Earth Day 5k - 43rd out of 500
    Bellview Chiro 5k - 6th out of 100
    Elbert Reflections - 3rd out of 100
    Spank Blasing 5K - 4th out of 34
    Cannine Classic 5k - 6th out of 500+
    Run Body RUn 5k - 9th out of 207
    Go Metro State - 19th out of 200
    E-Days Blaster Dash 5K - 13th out of 65 (okay in this case it is only top 20%)
    Nellie Mae Scholarship Scuttle 5K - 4th out of 90
    etc....

Certainly small field races sometimes attract a bunch of great runners, but not usually.

BTW, this little exercise showed me something surprising. In many of these races the female field was as large or larger than the male field. This would be VERY strange in my area. The female field is usually 1/2, or less, the male field in small races and 75% is the best you ever see. Anyway...

Personal Disclaimer - I have run a bunch of 20 flat (ish) 5ks over the years, so I have a vested interest in the ability of that time to be at least a little impressive.

2006-05-07 8:35 AM

Veteran
    Stoughton, Wisconsin
    Just a little warming, last year I was doing under 20 min 5K's and did 22:30 for my first sprint. I was happy with my swim and bike times, but very disappointed with my run times. I started my brick training with 2 weeks left and it was way too late. After that I did 2 bricks a week - 1 swim-bike, 1 bike - swim. For me the swim-bike is easy. I was alos riding a 20 year old schwinn and this year I bought a tri bike, so I am excited to see how this affects my times
    2006-05-07 2:25 PM
    in reply to: #416829

User image

Papillion, Nebraska
    I am definitely anticipating an alteration in my normal times come race day. I still feel good considering running is my strongest aspect. I think I might just keep up somewhat with the pack and then when the run comes....FLY LIKE AN EAGLE!!! Of course, I say that know when in all reality I will probably end up starting out way too quick. I'll just have to wait and see.
    2006-05-07 11:02 PM
    in reply to: #416618

User image

Regular
    Boulder, CO
    bock - 2006-05-06 2:21 PM

actri - 2006-05-06 3:48 PM
    Do not mean to disagree, but even in a hotbed of athletics like the Front Range, a 20 minute 5k is better than top 20%-30%. I race in NY/NJ and I do notice a difference between some local races (non-NYRRC) here and in Colorado (i.e. faster in Colorado), but consider what a 20 flat would do in the April races from Colorado Runner (http://www.coloradorunnermag.com/results/April2006.html)

Fairmont 5000 - 7th place out of 300
    Mud Hen 5k - 3rd place of of 300
    Dash & Dine 5k - 15th out of 100 (this Dash & Dine seems to attract a serious field)
    Earth Day 5k - 43rd out of 500
    Bellview Chiro 5k - 6th out of 100
    Elbert Reflections - 3rd out of 100
    Spank Blasing 5K - 4th out of 34
    Cannine Classic 5k - 6th out of 500+
    Run Body RUn 5k - 9th out of 207
    Go Metro State - 19th out of 200
    E-Days Blaster Dash 5K - 13th out of 65 (okay in this case it is only top 20%)
    Nellie Mae Scholarship Scuttle 5K - 4th out of 90
    etc....

Certainly small field races sometimes attract a bunch of great runners, but not usually.

BTW, this little exercise showed me something surprising. In many of these races the female field was as large or larger than the male field. This would be VERY strange in my area. The female field is usually 1/2, or less, the male field in small races and 75% is the best you ever see. Anyway...

Personal Disclaimer - I have run a bunch of 20 flat (ish) 5ks over the years, so I have a vested interest in the ability of that time to be at least a little impressive.

actri,

I admit the only race results I looked at to make my statement were from last year's Dash & Dine series, which were the only 5k's I did last year. Based on the other Front Range results you quoted, it does look like the D&D races are pretty competitive.

However, take a look at some of these from the same series. A 20:00 time would give you the following places, well within the 20-30% range:

5/17/05: 41 out of 184 (22%)
    5/3/05: 23 out of 90 (26%)
    4/26/05: 18 out of 73 (25%)
    4/19/05: 20 out of 75 (27%)

I know what you mean, though. My best 5k was a 20-flat and I understand wanting that to be an impressive time. Looks like I just need to try a few of those other 5k's that you mentioned, like the Mud Hen, where 20:00 would get you 3rd place out of 300! I didn't even think it was possible to get a podium in the overall placing with those sorts of times in this area. Looks like some cherry picking is in order...;)

Cheers!

Edited by bock 2006-05-07 11:05 PM
    2006-05-08 8:12 AM

Bock,

I totally agree. That Dash & Dine series looks like it attracts some serious runners, for a small field.

And I agree that there is nothing wrong with cherry-picking some races, in fact it makes racing a lot more fun. You know, racing against that "national class" field is important to gauge where you are competitively, but it sure feels good to get on the podium sometimes against a local field.

See you there!
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I ready? Rss Feed  

of 2