BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's Ironman/Half-Ironman focused Mentor Group --CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 95

2012-04-02 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4123434

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Fred D's Ironman/Half-Ironman focused Mentor Group --CLOSED
bzgl40 - 2012-04-01 5:37 PM

Race went well.  BUT, I shorted the course twice.  Sigh.  On the run.  I had a great swim, a great bike, and was having a great run when I realized it.  I stopped to talk to Tina who was at mile 9 but my watch said 6.  I eventually figured out I missed a loop.  A volunteer directed me the wrong way.  My fault of course since it is my responsibility to know the course.  Anyways, when I realized it I talked to another volunteer and I did that loop 3 times in a row (total I was suppose to go).  So in the end I did 70.3 and had a respectable time, although when I realized about the run I was pretty demoralized.  Anyways, couldn’t find an official onsite so I will email them and see if they want to DQ me.  I ran the same distance as everyone but clearly not the same course.  Thankfully I do this for myself and have no hope in placing anyways.  It bums me that I did that but I am happy I did not quit and went ahead and finished the distance anyways.

Kim, first I would like to say congratulations on finishing the race. Most importantly you showed a level of integrity that shows your true character. Going back and completing parts of miss run segments took not only honesty but courage and fortitude as well. Well done! It is a honor to know you.

2012-04-02 10:41 AM
in reply to: #4124110

Extreme Veteran
bzgl40 - 2012-04-02 7:37 AM
Fred D - 2012-04-01 2:50 PM

Race went well.  BUT, I shorted the course twice.  Sigh.  On the run.  I had a great swim, a great bike, and was having a great run when I realized it.  I stopped to talk to Tina who was at mile 9 but my watch said 6.  I eventually figured out I missed a loop.  A volunteer directed me the wrong way.  My fault of course since it is my responsibility to know the course.  Anyways, when I realized it I talked to another volunteer and I did that loop 3 times in a row (total I was suppose to go).  So in the end I did 70.3 and had a respectable time, although when I realized about the run I was pretty demoralized.  Anyways, couldn’t find an official onsite so I will email them and see if they want to DQ me.  I ran the same distance as everyone but clearly not the same course.  Thankfully I do this for myself and have no hope in placing anyways.  It bums me that I did that but I am happy I did not quit and went ahead and finished the distance anyways.

Don't beat yourself up. It happens and it has happened to me at a race before (twice in same race, but I went the long way both times). You are honest Kim and I KNOW you would never ever have cheated, so your time is legit to me regardless of WTC. Congrats again!

Thanks Fred, that means a lot. 

I actually ran with Nik a bit yesterday.  Cutting the course allows you to catch up with all kinds of people.  Saw Tiff out on the course a few times...way into to the zone.  lol.  It was super cool meeting them in person finally.  They were in the very first mentor group I ever joined.

Things feel pretty good this morning.  Some muscle soreness but nothing to bad.  Today is Tina's last day in Austin so we are all going birding with her this morning.  That will at least get us moving around and help prevent too much muscle stiffness from settling in.  Then a nice bbq rib feast tonight.  Oh, first we start the day off with some homemade tamale's.  Life is good.  I will probably have about 10 pounds to lose from this trip alone. 

What time's the BBQ? Smile

Wow, Kim...I never saw you on the course. I missed a lot of things on the course apparently...Nik kept asking me if I noticed someone/something during the race and all I could say was no...I pretty much only remember what was directly in front of me at the time. Except I did see Tina 4 times...twice on the bike and twice on the run. She had her camera pointed my direction on the bike back before the turn to Moody Gardens.

Feeling reasonably good today. Typical soreness, but no pain, which is great. Have a massage scheduled for later today...looking forward to that. Also going to have some tamales with a friend for lunch...our traditional day after race meal.

RR is up: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=433047&posts=1&start=1

I'm also casting my vote to sticking with this MG. I promise to be more active in the group...and I know I'll have lots of questions as I have a very good idea of what I want to do race wise over the course of the next year.

Edited by roadrhino 2012-04-02 10:42 AM
2012-04-02 10:55 AM
in reply to: #4124110

User image

Veteran
bzgl40 - 2012-04-02 7:37 AM
Fred D - 2012-04-01 2:50 PM

Don't beat yourself up. It happens and it has happened to me at a race before (twice in same race, but I went the long way both times). You are honest Kim and I KNOW you would never ever have cheated, so your time is legit to me regardless of WTC. Congrats again!

Thanks Fred, that means a lot. 

I actually ran with Nik a bit yesterday.  Cutting the course allows you to catch up with all kinds of people.  Saw Tiff out on the course a few times...way into to the zone.  lol.  It was super cool meeting them in person finally.  They were in the very first mentor group I ever joined.

Things feel pretty good this morning.  Some muscle soreness but nothing to bad.  Today is Tina's last day in Austin so we are all going birding with her this morning.  That will at least get us moving around and help prevent too much muscle stiffness from settling in.  Then a nice bbq rib feast tonight.  Oh, first we start the day off with some homemade tamale's.  Life is good.  I will probably have about 10 pounds to lose from this trip alone. 

Kim, I know you were a bit upset on the run yesterday, but I very inspired by you finishing the total run portion...I will always remember this should that ever happen to me and finish the distance even though I would want to quit.

I am feeling pretty good today.  the insides of my knees and my lower back are the most sore, but other wise feeling good.  The worst thing is the chafing under my arms and on my stomach...don't ask me how that happen because I am not sure.  Looking forward to some good Mexican food this afternoon.

I also would like to keep this MG going.  I like the feedback and discussions and I know I am ging to need some help once the IM training begins.

2012-04-02 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3946905

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Great job to all 3 of you!  It looks like you three were brushing shoulders the entire day..pretty close in all 3 disciplines.  Kim - great that you are honest about the course - that is a legit 70.3 in my book.

James:  Sorry to hear about the race...definitely NOT a sign of things to come for you...your training has been awesome...stay to course and good things will happen for you this year.

Tom - That was a disappointing game for the Buckeyes.  Apparently Deshaun Thomas did not get the memo that his shot was not dropping..cannot believe he kept shooting.  Good season for  your team though.

I recovered pretty well from that race...so much better than my half marathon in January.  I was able to ride Sunday with no soreness and again this morning so happy about that.  Hoping for a good week with lots of bike mileage.  Heading to Florida in 11 days so want to get as much in as I can.  I will be renting a road bike down there but only for 4-5 days. Pool is also closed this week for cleaning so have to head to a different pool.

I am definitely in favor of continuing the group!  have a good week.

2012-04-02 11:40 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-04-02 11:51 AM

I'm in.

I'm pretty sore, but if I get up and walk around it's not too bad after a bit.

I weighed in at 204.6 pre-race, but basically ate what I wanted for 3 days without remorse.  Turns out what I want probably ain't that good for me, so the weight today is 209.6.  yikes, although I know that will come down thru the week.

Kim, I am impressed by your integrity.  But as far as I am concerned you did the 70.3

I have a friend that did California, was shooting for a Vegas slot.  The run is two loops, near the finish you either go up a hill and around the finish to start loop 2, or go straight to the finish.  He either forgot, or never knew, or...  At the end of his second loop he ran up the hill and around the finish line, until he looked down and realized his mistake.  Ended up 11th, about 13 minutes off first.  Not sure it would have got him a slot, but it's a great lesson in knowing the course, no matter how fast you are.

2012-04-02 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4123434

2012-04-02 4:18 PM

Payson, AZ
Thanks everyone for your support regarding my race.  That means a lot to me.  I did hear back from them and I officially have a DNF.  They are going to leave my swim/bike up but clear out the run numbers.  It is what it is.  I wouldn't have felt right not telling the truth.  I am glad I did the full run in the end, I really did want to quit at what was suppose to be mile 9 when I realized what was up but I think I would probably be feeling a whole lot worse if I hadn't completed the distance. 
2012-04-02 5:42 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's Ironman/Half-Ironman focused Mentor Group --CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 95