United States
42F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 27m 44s
Overall Rank = 89/303
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 9/28
Pre-race routine:

Stopped at Seven Eleven and purchased a RS Recovery, Water and 5 Hour Shot. I brought a Power Bar home from home.
Event warmup:

30 minutes prior to the start I did some light jogging and some drills. I repeated the warm-up again 10 minutes before the start of the race. In the 2nd warm-up I found a pace that felt good. This is the pace I tried to keep for the race.
Run
  • 27m 44s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

I tried to keep my heart rate down the first uphill. I was too far forward because many runners passed me on the way to the top. For the rest of the run my Heart Rate was around 160 bpm. I am guessing I finished within five runners of where I was at the top of the hill. Mainly because I passed a large bunch of runners in the last out and back.
What would you do differently?:

I am not sure what I would do differently. Even though it was slower it probably was the smartest paced race I had run in a long time. I am not sure if I would have been faster or slower had I pushed the opening hill harder.
Post race
Warm down:

None really. I changed into dry clothes and went to get my soup and beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have been tailing back my running because of the sore left Achilles. It has been bothering me for the last couple of weeks.

Event comments:

It was a good race. I need to get past my Achilles injury but I am well on the way to a good running year.

Last updated: 2010-12-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:44 | 03.1 miles | 08m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/303
Performance: Good
Course: The course is a 5K run Counter Clockwise Loop with a steep uphill the first half mile. There was a short steep downhill to get down to the park. The last half mile had a short uphill with an out and back to the finish. The surface was road, bike trail and Bark Dust.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes