BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jac's Group - The water is warm, join us! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2011-12-21 1:04 AM

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com
Subject: Jac's Group - The water is warm, join us!

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Right away! My off season is about to come to an end, and I am anxiously awaiting the 2012 season.
NAME:
 Jaclyn, BT username: jaclynembry
STORY: I got into triathlon almost exactly a year ago, when I as sick of being lazy and wanted to make a change. I am in the National Guard, and there is quite a emphasis on running, which I was failing at so I hope to combine 2 sports that I enjoy with one that I don't
FAMILY STATUS: I am recently divorced and will be filling my spare time with tri training  
CURRENT TRAINING: I try to train 7-10 hours a week. I have both a swim and triathlon coach to keep me in line and teach me new tricks as time goes on. 
THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did 5 sprint tris plus some other relays. It was a great season overall for my first season. I really enjoy relays because it is a easy way to expose others to the sport.
2012 RACES:  My season will consist mostly of Oly distance, but I am going to sprinkle in a local sprint or two, and would like to do a 70.3 and a full aquabike. .
WEIGHTLOSS: I am looking more to maintain that anything else, but when you eat right, and do 7-10 hours a week of cardio, weight loss seems to be inevitable.  
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I believe that I will be a good mentor because whenever I start something I dive into it. I have only been doing triathlons for about a year but I have learned a ton and would love to share my knowledge with others that are in the same place that I was a year ago. 

Edited by jaclynembry 2012-01-15 11:47 PM

2011-12-30 9:57 PM
in reply to: #3947226

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Jac's Mentor Group - OPEN!

If you're willing to help I'll gladly accept it.....because I have no idea what to do.

For some insane reason (I don't think alcohol was involved) I have signed up for the Child Of The Sun a sprint tri in April. I ran 3 Warrior Dashes in 2011 and have done 5k's and 10k's in the past.

but.......here's the challenge for me, I am a PowerLifter, I'm 5'8" and weigh approx 230lbs. I live in Florida but haven't swam or rode a bike in about 20 years.

In the last month or so I've changed my workout routine from heavy weight/low reps to lighter weight/higher reps in hopes of building up my muscle endurance. I do cardio (usually run) 3 days per week.

I was divorced in 2009. I re-married in July of 2010, my wife has two children that live with us. For the most part my diet is clean...lots and lots of protein and complex carbs, my dietary downfall is beer, which I know I will have to adjust for my training.

My job requires travel, 83 flights this year and 150+ nights in hotels. I try to plan most of my hotel stays based on the gyms in their vicinity. 

I just ordered a bike, a mountain bike, which was probably not the best choice but due to finances it was the best I could do.

so if I don't sound like that much of a train wreak I'd love some help, guidance, etc....

Edited by SWF 2011-12-30 10:10 PM
2011-12-31 9:19 AM

User image

hello! my name is John and I am new to the sport of triathlon. I am doing my first half tri in July and another one in Sept. 30. I am excited and pumped up to continue my training and complete these two goals I have lined up!
2012-01-01 9:55 PM

Hi! I hope you will mentor me. I liked that you are with the National Guard. I am 43 and a former Marine of nine years. Running was a big part of my life at that time too. I would like to complete a sprint triathlon this summer. I work a full time job and in law school and I realize the committment. Lets just say that the training will be great stress management as a bonus.
2012-01-02 1:21 AM

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com

SWF, dajohnKIM, and Jessidogs, welcome and Happy New Year! 

2012 is going to be an incredible season. 

Let's get this mentor group going! Tell your friends, there is definitely room for a few more. 

What are you doing to ease into training for the season?

2012-01-02 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3965801

User image

New user
jaclynembry - 2012-01-02 1:21 AM

What are you doing to ease into training for the season?

Got in a resistance session this morning...and believe it or not for it being a new year the gym was not packed. Either everyone in my city is in remarkable shape or they just don't care.

I've ordered BCAA's to help with muscle recovery since biking and swimming are going to be new exercises to my body.

My cardio session has changed, where as before it was warm-up and then 8 intervals of 90 seconds Max effort then 90 seconds of bringing the heart rate down to this new pattern for the first week.....

2 Min Warm-up
8 Min 5 MPH
14 Min 1 Min Interval 4 MPH/5 MPH
2 min Cool Down

Planning to hit the pool this week ( this should be good ), I have no idea what to use for a swim suit since all I have is those baggy trunks you buy at Bass Pro Shops

My bike arrives on Thursday so I plan to start riding this weekend.

2012-01-03 12:20 PM

User image

Marshall Michigan

Hi I would like to join this group if there is still room.

My name is Bill - 2 tris the last 2 years in Chicago, my 1st marathon in 2011, and this year I'm signed up, money down for a 1/2 IM in Grand Rapids Michigan.

My 2nd job - I'm a 42 year old Paper boy riding his MTB w/ studded tires and running all over a small town in Marshall MI.  I rule the roads from 4am to 6am w/ no traffic, no people and buckets of motivation to train.  My mantra when running "I'm getting paid to excercise".  The studded tires have been on a week , just this morning was my test of Icey driveways and roads.  It took alittle longer but it was a blast!  I love winter running - though it is not normal for most runners to have a bag of newspapers on thier shoulder.  I'm slow and steady and have delivoped a stong base.

I love checking in everyday to see how everyone is doing.  Hope i can join.

Bill

2012-01-03 3:08 PM

New user

Hello, I would like to join your group if there is still room.

I think that is really awesome you are in the National Guard. Right now, I am getting off an injury. So I need to start with just running. I am putting my application into the military, when I am done school.

- Ella

2012-01-03 9:43 PM

Hi there!  I would love to join this group! 

My name is Stacey and I'm a stay at home mom with 3 kids (6,4, & 3).  I am a regular at my gym and have a slight addiction for group fitness classes.  I go 4-5 days a week usually and do a variety of cardio and weight training.  I have always wanted to do a triathlon and so this is my year!  I will be 40 in May and I plan on doing my first sprint triathlon May 20th.  I would love any advise you have a long the way!  I feel I'm a decent swimmer (was on high school swim teams) and my husband and I used to mountain bike before kids (road racing is new to me) and I am just working on learning to love running (work in progress). =

2012-01-04 10:36 AM

New user

Bethlehem

Hi Jac! I hope it’s not too late to join your group because I need all the help I can get!

My name is  Gentry user name glamartin. 

I’m  prior Navy,  hope you don’t hold that against me .

Anyway I separated from my wife about 3 years ago and have my 16 yr old full time and my 8 yr old half time.  I’m a software engineer so I ride a desk most of the day.  My doctor had told me to lose about 10lbs. Then I was about 225-230. I joined a gym and went almost never.  About 3 years ago I watched my mothers’ generation all die off of cancer and diabetes over the course of a year, all 5 of them.   So I decided to make some real changes.  I got serious about my health and a healthier lifestyle. In 2010 I started running some (slower than dirt but it was something), quit smoking, and actually going to the gym on regular basis.  In 2011 my goal was to lose the 10 lbs and live a healthier life style.  I lost the 10lbs, run occasionaly, strength train twice a week and go to a cycling class 3 times a week. I go not to lose weight but because I like it.  For 2012 I need new fitness goals. I want to push myself more.   I want to compete with myself  in sprint triathlons this year and Olympic the year after. Will you help guide me?

2012-01-04 6:50 PM

Veteran
Oahu, Hawaii

Hi! I would love to join this group and learn from you! I'm a first time tri beginner and could use lots of tips.

I will be doing my first sprint triathlon this June 2012. My name is Moana, I'm 46, married with two kids and teach special education at a high school. My background is in swimming, but I have always been involved in all sports throughout high school and college. I've been kicking the idea of doing a tri around in my head for about a year now and have finally decided to just go for it. 

My goal is to first lose at least 10 pounds so my knees can take the stress of running again. I would then like to get through the sprint triathlon without hurting myself and hopefully finish with a decent time. 

My challenges are: I don't know much about the sport but I can swim well, bike and hopefully run decently. I have had reconstructive ACL knee surgery (1986) and recently had rotator cuff surgery to relieve some shoulder pain from open water swimming (2011). The good news is that my shoulder is healing well and my knees are doing okay. 

I look forward to reading everyone's posts and comments. 

2012-01-04 8:16 PM

User image

Veteran
La Crosse
2nd year racer.  Looking to join.
2012-01-04 9:34 PM

User image

New user
My first swim was this evening. About halfway through the first 25 meters I was thinking "This is tougher than I thought it would be".  I made it through 14 laps resting 15-20 seconds between laps...this whole event took around 16 minutes...I have no idea if this is too fast of a pace or not. I'm guessing from the soreness in my shoulders that I need to use my legs more. I did have a blast and can't wait to hit the pool again this weekend.
2012-01-05 7:03 AM
in reply to: #3971732

User image

Marshall Michigan

Hay man happy new year!  - I've put studded tires on my MTB and riding the paper route like a mad man!  If I only new how much fun winter riding is.

Hope you make this group.

Bill

2012-01-06 7:30 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan

Good morning today - ran 55min felt stong but times are still silly slow, biked good w/ no more ice on rodes, 41 out this morning, just lovely.

Hope evryone has a great Weekend.

2012-01-06 11:59 AM

User image

New user

Got in an early morning interval session.

2 Min Warm-up
8 Min 5 MPH
16 Min (8)1 Min Intervals 4 MPH/6.5 MPH
2 min Cool Down

2.35 Mile

My bike arrived last night and I got assemblied and plan for a ride either this evening or tomorrow.

2012-01-06 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3975115

User image

Marshall Michigan
SWF - 2012-01-06 12:59 PM

Got in an early morning interval session.

2 Min Warm-up
8 Min 5 MPH
16 Min (8)1 Min Intervals 4 MPH/6.5 MPH
2 min Cool Down

2.35 Mile

My bike arrived last night and I got assemblied and plan for a ride either this evening or tomorrow.

What kind of MTB is it?
2012-01-06 9:20 PM
in reply to: #3975223

User image

New user

Bishtaw - 2012-01-06 12:44 PM

What kind of MTB is it?

A Nashbar AT-2..Probably not the best choice but it's cool looking once I removed all of the decals.

2012-01-08 5:01 PM

User image

Veteran
La Crosse

Hello????

Is there anybody in here????

Jac?????

2012-01-08 11:22 PM

Veteran
Oahu, Hawaii

Jac

I'm needing some help on which plan to use to train for my first sprint tri this June 2012. I've looked at the free plans and can't figure out which one since I really need to work on running the most. I would appreciate it if you could give me a few suggestions on which plan would be good for me. Swimming is my strength, running is my weakness.

Thanks!

moana

2012-01-09 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3978414

User image

Marshall Michigan
Monsterman96 - 2012-01-08 6:01 PM

Hello????

Is there anybody in here????

Jac?????

good morning!  I'm here!

2012-01-09 7:14 AM
in reply to: #3976105

User image

Marshall Michigan
SWF - 2012-01-06 10:20 PM

Bishtaw - 2012-01-06 12:44 PM

What kind of MTB is it?

A Nashbar AT-2..Probably not the best choice but it's cool looking once I removed all of the decals.

I just clicked your blog man - good job putting that thing together.   Bike looks cool enough for me.  Love the meth dog picture.   Great way to start my morning...
2012-01-09 7:21 AM
in reply to: #3978987

User image

Marshall Michigan
moana - 2012-01-09 12:22 AM

Jac

I'm needing some help on which plan to use to train for my first sprint tri this June 2012. I've looked at the free plans and can't figure out which one since I really need to work on running the most. I would appreciate it if you could give me a few suggestions on which plan would be good for me. Swimming is my strength, running is my weakness.

Thanks!

moana

?  ?i think you should try the 20 week sprint run focus plan, Just start slow and put in the time running and lots of walking in the beginning - don't worry about milage  just log the time spent on the road.  After a few weeks you'll be suprised that you will be doing more running then walking.  You got 20 weeks to get ready for a 3 mile run.  You can do it!  Whenever i walk I try to walk like those old ladies in the mall...like your walking to catch a bus!

Bill

2012-01-09 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3979198

Veteran
Oahu, Hawaii
Bishtaw - 2012-01-09 2:21 AM
moana - 2012-01-09 12:22 AM

Jac

Thanks!

moana

?  ?i think you should try the 20 week sprint run focus plan, Just start slow and put in the time running and lots of walking in the beginning - don't worry about milage  just log the time spent on the road.  After a few weeks you'll be suprised that you will be doing more running then walking.  You got 20 weeks to get ready for a 3 mile run.  You can do it!  Whenever i walk I try to walk like those old ladies in the mall...like your walking to catch a bus!

Bill

Okay, thanks for your reply Bill. I'll try that plan out.

Moana

2012-01-10 12:34 AM

Veteran
Oahu, Hawaii
First day of training went pretty well. My legs and feet are definitely feeling it. I had a question about the training log. How do you input your weight data into the goal? I made a few goals for myself but I can't figure out how to put in my current weight.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jac's Group - The water is warm, join us! Rss Feed  

of 19