General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pet peeves while training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2006-05-03 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Lexington, KY
Subject: Pet peeves while training
OK, anyone here got stories of pet peeves that they encountered while training. I usually am a very good-natured guy, LOOONG fuse, but there are a few things that rile me up during training. Interestingly, most people who aren't training for a tri like I am (i.e. 99% of the planet), don't seem to understand my beefs. Here they are, in no particular order.

1. Water aerobics - Look, I'm glad you got up the nerve to start exercising, or decided to overcome your bad joints. Good for you, great job! Yet why do the 12 of you require ALL of the 5 - lane pool to essentially do a "group-wade"? Is it not possible for me and the other actual SWIMMERS to have 1 measly lane? I'm willing to share (heck, I'll even settle for 20% compared to your 80%), why aren't you willing to do the same?

2. 20 minute time limits on the treadmills at the gym - I'd gladly run outside, but occasionnaly the monsoons will prevail. I will need a treadmill from time to time. Is it too much to ask that I run for more than 20 minutes? It's not like there are that many people on the treadmills who run as long as I do, and shouldn't preference be given to those that actually RUN on the things? I like walking just fine, but really, who really gets the most from the treadmill? Furthermore, it irks me because the real runners (like us) almost NEVER make an issue if someone else is on "over the limit", because we KNOW how frustrating it is to be interrupted. Yet the walkers (who are on the cell phone half the time anyway), will narc your a$$ if you run for 20:01. Lay off, already.

3. Cars that don't share the road - A combustion engine? Yeah, I'm familiar with it. I actually have one too. I just occasionally like to use my legs for something other than preventing my a$$ from sliding off the end of the sofa. A bike takes up at most 2 feet of a 12 foot lane. Most cars are about 8 feet across (many are less). That still leaves 2 feet EXTRA, and 1 foot ON EACH SIDE. So why do you insist on driving me into the dirt?

That about fills my quota for now. I'd be interested in seeing some other people's pet peeves.

(Really, I'm not an angry guy - I swear!)

Edited by RJSuperfreaky 2006-05-03 9:25 AM

2006-05-03 9:29 AM
in reply to: #413380

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Pet peeves while training

I've no problem with other swimmers or water joggers at the local pool and I don't run on treadmills, not even in the dead of winter so I am okay with these two.  My pet peeve is with regards to assholes who feel a desire to scream or bark at me from their car as I pass by on my bike.  What kind of brain dead inbred jerk does that??????????

2006-05-03 9:46 AM

User image

Queen BTich
I HATE, HATE, HATE the water aerobics class. I've gotten kicked out of my lane (the far one!) for a class with five people. They wanted the whole pool and could have used 2 lanes...they could have had more than enough room with 1/2 the pool...but the whole thing?! Geez.
2006-05-03 9:49 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Cars making right turns in front of me at intersections when I'm going straight.  Particularly when they speed up to cut in front of me, rather than just turning behind me.  Like they have to establish their dominance over cyclists or something...
2006-05-03 9:53 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
People who talk on their cell phones while riding (glances over Comet's direction).......
2006-05-03 9:58 AM

Veteran
Chula Vista, Ca

Mine is the guy at spin class that comes in fully decked out, barking at the instructor to turn off the lights and turn on the fan.  Then proceeds to bust *** for 5 minutes with no tension and calls it a day. Of course watching himself in the mirror the whole time.

As far as you guys with the pool problems, move to the barrio like me.  I have a nice 50 meter pool open Mon-Fri 6am - 8am just for laps.  Sometimes 5-6 people swimming but usually me and Lifeguard Nick. He is usually so bored he will count laps for me. Plus at 8 the olympic training team comes in and I get to see how I should be swimming.

Don't get me started on locker room shower etiquette.

2006-05-03 10:00 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

<warning - obvious statement approaching>

This is going to be a long thread.

2006-05-03 10:15 AM
in reply to: #413427

User image

Veteran
Lexington, KY
CVSURF - 2006-05-03 10:58 AM

Mine is the guy at spin class that comes in fully decked out, barking at the instructor to turn off the lights and turn on the fan.  Then proceeds to bust *** for 5 minutes with no tension and calls it a day. Of course watching himself in the mirror the whole time.

I know what you mean!!! The instructor will say " OK, now turn up the resistance like you're in mud". So I ratchet it up until it's like a herculean effort, and here's this yahoo on a resistance of -20, spinning at 120 rpm, smiling and yelling "This isn't hard at all, blah blah blah..." AARGH!

As for the pool, I also swim in the early morning to avoid the waders, but a few times I swam a long workout that went over, and they would actually take down the lane line of my lane (the one by the wall) WHILE I WAS STILL SWIMMING so 8 of them could do their aerobic class. Drove me bonkers!

2006-05-03 10:20 AM

Veteran
chicago
First: when a swimmer joins a lane with an aquajogger rather than doubling up with another swimmer, OR when two or more swimmers try to share a lane with an aquajogger. I've been on both ends of this, and just so you guys who don't do the deep water running understand: aquajoggers have their faces out of the water and aren't wearing goggles. getting splashed in the face is NOT plesant. And two swimmers splitting basically take up all the lane, and then get pissed at the aquajogger for not moving over!!
(sorry, I've had a number of stress fractures and had to deal with this a lot while trying to keep up running strength. just cause you're not swimming doesn't mean the workout is less important. I've had swimmers jump into a lane where there were 8 people aquajogging. not cool!)

Second: when somebody grabs my wheel without saying anything. You know, a 'hello' or something first would be nice.
2006-05-03 10:21 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

When you doing a long training ride and out of nowhere someone begin to ride on your back wheel. The rider then pass you and a few min later you have to slow down cuz you catch up with him/her and now you have to pass to keep up with your training pace, but the rider thinks you are racing... arrgghh!

2006-05-03 10:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Vancouver, WA
i actually had one of these last night while doing a track workout. my boyfriend and i were both doing 1000 repeats on the track, and most people walking on the track noticed enough to move out of lane 1. then this group of about 50 walker/runners showed up, saw us do about half our track workout while they had a meeting, and then got on the track and took up all eight lanes, mainly walking.
we had to dodge them while still trying to make our splits; it was pretty upsetting that there was no respect for fellow runners. we told the group leader he should try at least keeping lane one open for faster runners, but he said there wasn't a problem. we still got the workout done, but it definitely left a sour taste in our mouth that no one seems to teach new runners the etiquette of the road and track.
ps. i don't actually have a bike yet for my triathlon, so i don't have any pet peeves yet there, but i could go on and on for the swimming and running...

2006-05-03 10:39 AM
in reply to: #413414

User image

Regular
Rhode Island
RedCorvette - 2006-05-03 10:49 AM

Cars making right turns in front of me at intersections when I'm going straight.  Particularly when they speed up to cut in front of me, rather than just turning behind me.

Or even better, when they do exactly this without using the blinker. I have no idea they're about to turn and then *bam*, I'm eye to eye with the passenger who then looks more terrified than me.
2006-05-03 10:51 AM
in reply to: #413485

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Anyone riding a full on team bike wearing the team kit and riding 15 mph and working really hard to do it .......

Slower people in front of me that make me slow down or swerve into me after kindly letting them know I'm coming .....

Combine you get:

"Excuse me you slow azz f--k on your $7000 Madone in full Discovery team kit, what part of 'On your left' don't you understand! Move it Fred!"

And to echo amiine, I hate that as well. Usually I'll just strike up a conversation with them and make them ride alongside me to hear the conversation. In the meantime I slowly ramp up the pace until I'm doing about 23 - 25 mph. If they can hang with me and have a conversation at that pace, then they can suck my wheel all they want as long as they give me a pull every now and then.
2006-05-03 11:09 AM
in reply to: #413506

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Daremo - 2006-05-03 11:51 AM Anyone riding a full on team bike wearing the team kit and riding 15 mph and working really hard to do it )

I don't understand why that bothers people.  Jealously?  Why worry about posers?  I figure if someone can afford the gear then it's okay with me.  They bought the stuff, it's not like they stole it from the back of the Discovery Team bus.   What about all the fat-a$$'s running around in NFL replica jerseys or wearing NASCAR team jackets?  Hey, if you're not fast, you may as well look good...  Plus, I figure the profit margin on all that high-end gear helps to subsidize the lower end stuff that I use.

2006-05-03 11:15 AM
in reply to: #413463

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
amiine - 2006-05-03 8:21 AM

When you doing a long training ride and out of nowhere someone begin to ride on your back wheel. The rider then pass you and a few min later you have to slow down cuz you catch up with him/her and now you have to pass to keep up with your training pace, but the rider thinks you are racing... arrgghh!

Arrgh!  I'm no speed demon on a bike, but I encounter this a lot situation - everything IS a race for some people, as though everyone on the road is an inherent threat/challenge.  I get a real kick out of the guys who ride on my back wheel, then blast past me, only to die-off about 1/2 mile later as I zip past them while they're huffing and puffing.  Fortunately, I never see most of them again.  

2006-05-03 11:23 AM
in reply to: #413460

User image

Veteran
Lexington, KY
RafeOsha - 2006-05-03 11:20 AM

First: when a swimmer joins a lane with an aquajogger rather than doubling up with another swimmer, OR when two or more swimmers try to share a lane with an aquajogger.

I agree with you there. As I said, I'm all for sharing, and furthermore, basic swimming etiquette states that you should join a lane of comparable speed, so I'd just look for another swimmer. Just like when those great speed-demon swimmers avoid my lane due to my plodding pace

2006-05-03 11:28 AM

User image

Master
South of SLC
I really hate having to pee while running through a residential area where I do not know anyone...that is rough. I really hate having to pee during the middle of my swim workout and knowing I should get out of the pool.

I hate rigs with uncovered loads dumping half of the gravel they are carrying all over the road.

I hate slowing down for railroad tracks even though I know I will flat if I am going over 18 mph.

I hate sheepdogs who are on their flock and think you are a predator. Those suckers will kill you if they catch you.

I hate the sunburns that come from riding my bike when my shirt creeps up and my pants creep down.

I hate "premature release" of my CO2 cartridges. When this happens, it is really embarassing for everyone involved...

Mike
2006-05-03 11:51 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

I dislike getting shot at

I am not too big on flying pieces of sheet metal torn from barns due to windstorms making its way into my line of travel

Manure in the road is nasty

Mean dogs in the middle of a long climb = yuck

I'm usually getting out of the pool as the power-waders show up, so they don't confront me none

All the annoying "health-club crap" is just noise

The one pool beef I have is that my "Y" keeps the pool too warm...and the oldsters have the nerve to complain about it being too cold. I think that if it's too cold, you're not working hard enough.

2006-05-03 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio, TX
I dislike getting honked at and vulgar suggestions yelled at me when I go running outside up to the park. I mean come on, I'm wearing a T shirt and long biking shorts, nothing too suggestive. And do they really think that I will be really impressed by their comments and suddenly want to date them?

Or when I'm biking and a group of guys in a truck drive past me r e a l l y s l o w l y while starring at me and smiling. Umm, no.

I also hate when people leave puddles of sweat on the floor surrounding their exercise machine. Gross.
2006-05-03 1:16 PM
in reply to: #413603

User image

Veteran
San Antonio, TX
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2006-05-03 11:51 AM

All the annoying "health-club crap" is just noise

The one pool beef I have is that my "Y" keeps the pool too warm...and the oldsters have the nerve to complain about it being too cold. I think that if it's too cold, you're not working hard enough.

I agree. I went to the Y pool once, and will never go again. It was like a sauna in there. I actually became overheated while swimming and couldn't take it anymore.
2006-05-03 1:24 PM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
One time I was doing laps at a 25 yard pool with a bunch of aerobic ladies in the lanes next to me. They created so much turbulence that I had trouble breathing. I figure, it was good training because that's how OW swim would be like.

2006-05-03 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
The pool too warm is a good one.

Also people who try to stop me from training. (Wife, friends, parents, work, etc)
Let's do this......I thought we would do that........Why can't we.........
Because I am trying to follow a training plan!!

People who comment "Wow, you lost a lot of weight! How did you do it?"
But when I tell them they reply "You are crazy!! I couldn't do that!!"
Yes you could, you're just lazy.
2006-05-03 1:39 PM

Veteran
Charleston, SC
Dogs in yards with no fence who are not chained...for some reason I must look very tasty because they ALWAYS come after me.

I go to university and since I have classes all day, I often do not get to my training until late at night so I have to go to the gym to run. We have an UNBELIEVABLE gym, its the second best collegiate gym in the country behind Georgia Tech and it has a great wide 4 lane track indoors at the gym, and yet for some reason groups girls love to walk in a straight line across all the lanes talking on their cell phones refusing to move when you run up behind them. Then when you manage to squeeze by, they give you an evil stare as if to say "what the hell are you doing?" ARG!!!!! I'M RUNNING, THATS WHAT A GYM TRACK IS FOR...WE HAVE LIKE 30 TREADMILLS YOU CAN USE TO WALK AND TALK!!!

I agree with the biking fast to pass you then slowing down, but its the same for swimming. People swim as fast as they can to hit your feet and then a lap later they are so worn out they are barely moving
2006-05-03 1:56 PM
in reply to: #413754

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
KRCSWO - 2006-05-03 1:25 PM
People who comment "Wow, you lost a lot of weight! How did you do it?"
But when I tell them they reply "You are crazy!! I couldn't do that!!"
Yes you could, you're just lazy.

Ditto. I work in an office where most are overweight. I get all kinds of comments like "hey skinny" and "how do you stay so slender?" I usually just shrug my shoulders and smile, but I am dying to scream "IT'S BECAUSE I EXERCISE 6 DAYS A WEEK! IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!"
2006-05-03 1:58 PM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
I am scare of people who:
- bike pass you on the RIGHT.
- bike against traffic on an one-way trail.
- bike/skate/run abreast of one another.

I don't like people who comment on my weight at the first sight of me, either it's complimentary ("wow, you lost a lot of weight") or otherwise. I mean, I know my weight fluctuates a lot, but can people talk about something else instead. Like my bag?

Edited by Denise2003 2006-05-03 2:01 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pet peeves while training Rss Feed  

of 4