General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pet peeves while training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2006-05-03 2:03 PM
in reply to: #413380

Veteran
Stoughton, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Pet peeves while training
Wow, I think we go to the same gym except our pool rules are 30 minutes if people are waiting, which is ok except others don't follow it, so I don't either anymore. As for the water aerobics, i just started laughing. I thought I was the only one that got peeved by them. they would kick us out of the pool 10-15 minutes before the class started, so I decided to swim after the class. Everytime the class went 5 minutes over and then they had to put the lane markers back in, of course the class participants didn't help replacing the lane markers even though they were quick to help remove them. after this I would just continue swiming even without the lane markers until the class actually started, I got some mean looks, but oh well. The teachers must have gotten a talking to, because now they don't kick us out until 5 minutes before and the pool is ready for us as soon as the class is done.

As for drivers, I am no longer surprised at the idiots, who think they are the first one to say "nice shorts" or honk the horn when they are right on your a$$

2006-05-03 2:07 PM
in reply to: #413811

User image

Regular
Rhode Island
Yendor 73 - 2006-05-03 3:03 PM

As for drivers, I am no longer surprised at the idiots, who think they are the first one to say "nice shorts"

I usually get "nice helmet", but the response is, "Nice face, the helmet comes off."
2006-05-03 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greer, South Carolina
In the pool, I hate when people leave the kickboards in the pool when their finished. The boards then eventually float in my lane and scare the crap out of me when I run into it.

At my Y, there is a seperate area for lap swim and aerobics/play area for the kids. But what I hate is when the parents let their kids come down and play in the lap lanes. They have a whole area to play in, but for some reason, they feel the need to come do a cannonball in your lane.

When I go to the gym to lift weights. I hate the guys who want to tell me their life story between sets. I'm there to concentrate, if you want to talk see me later. I also hate the guys who come in with all the lifting belts and gloves, use too much weight and then sling the weight around using horible(sometimes dangerous) form, and then strut around and give tips to everyone around them.

2006-05-03 3:14 PM
in reply to: #413530

Master
RedCorvette - 2006-05-03 12:09 PM

Daremo - 2006-05-03 11:51 AM Anyone riding a full on team bike wearing the team kit and riding 15 mph and working really hard to do it )

I don't understand why that bothers people.  Jealously?  Why worry about posers?  I figure if someone can afford the gear then it's okay with me.  They bought the stuff, it's not like they stole it from the back of the Discovery Team bus.   What about all the fat-a$$'s running around in NFL replica jerseys or wearing NASCAR team jackets?  Hey, if you're not fast, you may as well look good...  Plus, I figure the profit margin on all that high-end gear helps to subsidize the lower end stuff that I use.

We have a saying at my school's Terry Fox run: "Its not about how good ya do, it's about how good you look!"

2006-05-03 3:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
I don't like it that about 75% of the people who use the local pool first thing in the morning don't seem to understand the "slow, medium, fast" signs for the lanes. It's very possible that they simply can't read the signs, since they are all in English (every other sign in the pool and gym is in English and Chinese...)

I'm definately not a fast swimmer, so I try to stay out of the "fast" lanes as much as possible. But when people are walking in the "medium" lanes, ya gotta move up a speed.

Luckily the staff at the pool are pretty cool - they try to keep at least 1, if not 2 lanes (1/3 of the pool) open for lane swimmers, even when there is an aquafit class. The only time they close all of the lanes is when there are more than 30-35 people in the class.

The 20-minute limit on the treadmills is annoying - one of the treadmills at my gym actually shuts off after 20 minutes, and it takes 2 minutes to start it back up again!! What a pain.

My biggest pet peeve would have to be 60+ km/h winds and driving snow/ice pellets when I should be outside riding my bike. In May. Damn it!
2006-05-03 3:29 PM

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
At my university pool (which they just built thinking it was sooo much better than the old pool, which it's not), they have a freaking lazy river in it. They have some controller that turns it on and off, and when it's on, you basically can't swim laps because going one direction through the lane, you get 3 different currents. One either you are swimming into or are being pushed by, depending on your direction, another section that pulls you right, and another section that pulls you left.

Anways, I was swimming laps at 8:30pm, no one else was in the pool so the lazy river was turned off. Two people decided to start playing around in the water, including my lane at one point, so what do the lifeguards do? They turn the freaking thing on. Between the lazy river and all the water aerobics, I struggle to get any swimming time in.

2006-05-03 4:33 PM
in reply to: #413463

User image

Champion
Chicago
amiine - 2006-05-03 10:21 AM

When you doing a long training ride and out of nowhere someone begin to ride on your back wheel. The rider then pass you and a few min later you have to slow down cuz you catch up with him/her and now you have to pass to keep up with your training pace, but the rider thinks you are racing... arrgghh!

OK I have a good one on this. I was moving along at about 22-24 and quickly approached a mountain biker. I passed him and kept moving -- no problem. I had to (excuse my vulgarity but we've all done it) shoot a snot rocket. Well apparently he had started drafting off me and almost got hit. All I heard was "Whoa!" That scared the snot out of me and I looked back -- to my surprise there he was. He pulled next to me and said "That was close! You almost got me!" I kind of laughed -- not at his joke but at the fact that he tailing me so close and almost took one in the snout.

Anyway I just kept going and eventually he was unable to keep pace. I thought it served him right!
2006-05-03 4:39 PM
in reply to: #413882

Veteran
Stoughton, Wisconsin
BigBoy - 2006-05-03 3:02 PM

When I go to the gym to lift weights. I hate the guys who want to tell me their life story between sets. I'm there to concentrate, if you want to talk see me later. I also hate the guys who come in with all the lifting belts and gloves, use too much weight and then sling the weight around using horible(sometimes dangerous) form, and then strut around and give tips to everyone around them.

Oooh I missed this one. I can't stand the guys who are lifting more weight but with horrible form and then they look at you like "huh, I lift more".
2006-05-03 4:50 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
I HATE IT WHEN DURNIG LAP SWIM THERE ARE PEOPLE ARE AQUA JOGGING IN THE LANES WHEN THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM IN THE NORMAL AREA
2006-05-03 4:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Ventura, California
The #2 that was nowhere to be found before leaving for a run that suddenly rears it's ugly smelly head when I am at the furthest point from my house forcing me to sprint the rest of the way!!! (TMI..I know)

Sharing a locker room at the gym with my ex-girlfriend's current fiance who ran a marathon 4 years ago, put on 35 pounds, and now feels the need to talk to me about my training (sans towel) every time he sees me...DUDE...wait until we get out on the gym floor or something...I don't need to see that!!!!

People at the office irritate me too..."Oh...a sprint tri...those arent too long..."
I often reply with "Great!!! Come on over to my desk adn get on active.com so we can register you!!!" Shuts them up every time...
2006-05-03 4:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
My nose tends to run when I cycle. I usually have to blow my nose 1000 times during a ride. That's annoying. People walking like three or four abreast on the Greenway so I can't pass is a bit annoying too.

2006-05-03 6:08 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Rattles on my bike. My new flip-up aerobar armrests rattle if my arms aren't in them... Add chipsealed roads and it drives me NUTS!
2006-05-03 6:31 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Broken beer bottles/glass in the bike lane.   Can't believe people still chuck bottles out of the vehicle.
2006-05-03 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Lexington, KY
Man, if I started rattling all the weight-room peeves, I'd be here all day. Ditto for the talkaholics. I am a very talkative person normally, but in the gym, I'm there to WORK. I barely speak the whole time, and even then it's "Mind if I work in with you?".
I get a kick out of the guys whose workouts revolve around logging adequate "mirror time" (posing, flexing, puffing up their chests, repeating ad nauseum).

2006-05-03 8:12 PM
in reply to: #413414

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM

RedCorvette - 2006-05-03 9:49 AM Cars making right turns in front of me at intersections when I'm going straight.  Particularly when they speed up to cut in front of me, rather than just turning behind me.  Like they have to establish their dominance over cyclists or something...

Yes, yes, yes!  My #1 beef as well.  I was having a great ride about two weeks ago, right up to the part where I nearly got hit by a car.  I was doing 22 MPH at the time and THANKFULLY realized I needed to keep my radar up because of the entrances to a shopping plaza.  Sure enough, someone decided they had enough of a gap to turn in front of me.  Despite the fact that they had to overtake me.  Despite my 22,000 candle power yellow rain jacket with retro-reflective tape.  Despite my equally bright yellow helmet.

Water aerobics has never been a problem for me; however, at my pool, people can actually get in one of the four "guaranteed lap lanes" and screw around.  They don't swim laps and basically hang on the wall.  Don't understand it, but it happens.  Lifeguards could care less.

Then again, we all have this tremendous opportunity to pursue a sport we love that makes us healthier and has so many cool people doing it.  We are fortunate.  I'll put up with a few spikes of terror or resentment now and again.

2006-05-03 8:17 PM
in reply to: #414086

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA

I agree.  If you're going to drink and drive at least recycle.

2006-05-03 9:06 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

Sharing a locker room at the gym with my ex-girlfriend's current fiance who ran a marathon 4 years ago, put on 35 pounds, and now feels the need to talk to me about my training (sans towel) every time he sees me...DUDE...wait until we get out on the gym floor or something...I don't need to see that!!!!

This one is totally my favorite thus far. Something about being forced to share a shower with you ex-girlfriends fiance is cracking me up.

Must be one of those "funny if it's not you" things ...

2006-05-03 9:42 PM
in reply to: #414011

Veteran
chicago
bballer2tri - 2006-05-03 4:55 PM

Oooohhhh locker room pet peeves!

For the women: I hate the 80 year old women who shower with the curtain open, walk back to their locker sans towel, then proceed to stand in front of a mirror and dry their hair/do makeup while drip-drying. Is there ANY reason at all why they can't towel dry and get dressed before doing that? I've been trying to come up with one for 12 years and 6 gym locker rooms. It seems it happens everywhere...

(and just to clarify about my aquajogging peeve, when my pool is open it's all divided into lanes, so if you're going to aquajog you have to be in a lane. No other option. There are about 20 lanes, so this isn't much of a problem except at peak hours, but it does happen!)
2006-05-03 10:30 PM
in reply to: #413479

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

vonrunner - 2006-05-03 7:36 AM i actually had one of these last night while doing a track workout. my boyfriend and i were both doing 1000 repeats on the track, and most people walking on the track noticed enough to move out of lane 1. then this group of about 50 walker/runners showed up, saw us do about half our track workout while they had a meeting, and then got on the track and took up all eight lanes, mainly walking. we had to dodge them while still trying to make our splits; it was pretty upsetting that there was no respect for fellow runners. we told the group leader he should try at least keeping lane one open for faster runners, but he said there wasn't a problem. we still got the workout done, but it definitely left a sour taste in our mouth that no one seems to teach new runners the etiquette of the road and track. ps. i don't actually have a bike yet for my triathlon, so i don't have any pet peeves yet there, but i could go on and on for the swimming and running...

"Track!  Track!  TRACK!"  There are actual rules of track usage, and perhaps the director of their group would do well to inform the group that, just like in traffic, the slowest folks should stay to the right, and leave the left-most lanes open for faster moving people.  In fact, I believe the rule is that the fast person has the "right of way" but I may be mistaken.

All I know is that if I stray too far to the left, I'm made aware of it nearly immediately by someone yelling "TRACK!" behind me as they nearly run me over.

2006-05-03 11:00 PM
in reply to: #414123

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA

RJSuperfreaky - 2006-05-03 5:37 PM   I get a kick out of the guys whose workouts revolve around logging adequate "mirror time" (posing, flexing, puffing up their chests, repeating ad nauseum).

Oh. My.  There is a guy at my gym who chews his gum really fast - it's, ah a really macho kind of gum chewing - a tough-guy, Mike Ditka kind of gum chewing, really workin' that chewing gum to death.  Right - and so  this guy struts around the gym in his skin tight underarmour shirt, while he logs serious mirror time.   In the past I've managed to complete an entire weight training routine, and not once did I see gum-chewing guy ever lift a single weight. 

The other thing that annoys me is when people pick their faces in the mirror - uh, publically.  People, we don't need to see you picking at your acne right there on the gym floor. 

2006-05-03 11:43 PM

Champion

When you pass a slow cyclist on their left and you yell "On Your Left!" and they invariably look around to the left and......guess what?  They steer their bike in the direction they are looking, right into you!  I swear, someday I'm gonna scream "ON YOUR LEFT" and then pass them on the right, just for chuckles.

Kids on bikes, riding on the left side of the road, right at you.  Then you play that old "Alphonse & Gaston" routine, both of you deciding which way to go to avoid each other.  It's amazing there aren't more head on collisions.

Edited by max 2006-05-03 11:44 PM

2006-05-04 12:17 AM
in reply to: #413754

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO

I was reading all these thinking to myself how lucky I am that I live in such an athlete-friendly place.  We have miles and miles and miles of running and biking trails, and roadways are being modified to make them safer for bikes.  In my suburb, I have 4 rec centers to choose from, each with separate play pools and laps lanes available all day long.  Then I read the peeve below, and it hit me.  That's the one that sends me into orbit!  

KRCSWO - 2006-05-03 1:25 PM Also people who try to stop me from training. (Wife, friends, parents, work, etc) Let's do this......I thought we would do that........Why can't we......... Because I am trying to follow a training plan!! 

2006-05-04 7:33 AM
in reply to: #413603

User image

Youngstown, Ohio

Mean dogs in the middle of a long climb = yuck

I would think that would "help" you up the hill all the more.

2006-05-04 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

How about, when you are running and in the opposite direction comes a person with a dog on the leash, (one of those retractable leashes) and the dog is 20 feet from the owner across the trail/sidewalk.      So you either have to hurdle the dog or the leash.   The stupid owner doesn't retract the leash or control the dog to their side of the trail.

2006-05-04 9:36 AM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Oooh, got a few:

• Riding or running - Cars or trucks that whiz by you on the left with very little clearance, when they could have given you wider berth
  • Riding or running - Anyone that litters.  Pick up and take your flat innertubes, your gel packets, your old water bottles, your CO2 cartridges, your clif bar wrappers, your used gum with you.  It's a training ride/run, for god sakes.
  • Running - Cars that pull out far enough at a stoplight to completely block your access to the sidewalk - and now you've got to run around the back bumper.
  • Swimming - four people, all in different lanes one-to-a-lane, paddling / splashing / bobbing at no pace.  That won't consider sharing.
  • Swimming - folks / kids from the rec pool, whirlpool, or sauna coming to the lap pool that jump in your lane, whenever, just to cool off (the lap pool is cooler than the rec pool)
  • Swimming - my pools have circulation where if you're in the two lanes closest to the nozzles, it'll literally push you to one side of the lane or the other.

OK.  That's it.  I'm all better. 

Edited by rkreuser 2006-05-04 9:36 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pet peeves while training Rss Feed  

of 4