General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-11-21 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3950313

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread

Bike boxed, getting ready to pack.

Here is the list of people racing so far:

Michael		#527  	HeatmizerKW
Kate. #2327 runk8run
Jennifer# #2031 jennifersmith23
Thomas #287 Golfpro
Eli #2520 eliwashere
Alex #1962 playmobil31
Vince #1291 vbellino

2012-11-22 2:35 AM
in reply to: #4506851

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
eliwashere - 2012-11-21 9:42 PM

Kate. #2327 runk8run
Thomas #287 Golfpro
Eli #2520 eliwashere
Alex #1962 playmobil31
Vince #1291 vbellino

... See ya there Eli... And all the other BT'ers, rolling out today!
2012-11-22 6:11 AM
in reply to: #4506851

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
eliwashere - 2012-11-21 8:42 PM

Kate. #2327 runk8run
Thomas #287 Golfpro
Eli #2520 eliwashere
Alex #1962 playmobil31
Vince #1291 vbellino

Joel   #2273  aintaround

I am here and ready - hitting the packet pickup as soon as they open

2012-11-22 8:53 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

Getting ready to head to the airport. Thankful for health, family and friends.

Hoping to make some new ones at the race.

In case you needed some motivation, here is my race report from 2010. It was my first IM, in my 3rd season of tri. I had done a couple of 1/2 irons and I think I averaged about 9 hours per week of training for the 3 months before the race.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=235432

2012-11-22 9:49 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

Greetings from Sabor!!!! To quote Chandler Bing, could this weather BE any more perfect??? I think Imma move here.

We took the bus/ferry yesterday. The bus was fine. Make sure you go to terminal 1 at the airport for the ADO bus. People will try to direct you the wrong way so they can make money off you. Luckily, I remembered that from previous trips to tourist areas of Latin America and got, umm, assertive with someone until I got the right answer.

Someone should have warned me about that ferry. TAKE DRAMAMINE if you have the least bit of propensity to seasickness. I'm still recovering from the nauseafest!

I'm resting today, will probably do a swim at some point here at the resort. This landlocked girl needs to get a feel for the ocean. One thing I wasn't prepared for is how pricey the taxis are. I was thinking like other parts of Latin America, where it's a couple of bucks. $30 round trip into town, ugh. I'm going to save my money and hit everything (bike pickup, expo, pre-race meeting) tomorrow in one swoop.

2012-11-22 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4505357

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

HeatmizerKW - 2012-11-20 4:52 PM Well Kate/2327, I will make a point of giving you a shout out on the run.  With all of those tats you must have this pain thing down cold  Good luck and safe travels.

I deal with pain well as long as the end result is worth it.

2012-11-22 5:57 PM
in reply to: #4507030

User image

Master
, Minnesota

Jeff #815 - leapdog

Departing MN at 5:30 AM, arriving early afternoon.

I was reading through the athlete guide but could use some translation with respect to logistics. Looking to make one trip downtown and register, pick up my bike from tri-bike-transport and hit the 'mandatory pre-race meeting'.  Where about's is the Cozumel Convention center, and the 'Cozumel and Resort and Hotel' - is that AKA Hotel Cozumel? 

I usually like to arrive at the event on Thurs so I'm feeling a bit panicked at the moment.

aintaround - 2012-11-22 6:11 AM
eliwashere - 2012-11-21 8:42 PM

Kate. #2327 runk8run
Thomas #287 Golfpro
Eli #2520 eliwashere
Alex #1962 playmobil31
Vince #1291 vbellino

Joel   #2273  aintaround

I am here and ready - hitting the packet pickup as soon as they open

2012-11-22 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4507158

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
runk8run - 2012-11-22 10:55 AM

HeatmizerKW - 2012-11-20 4:52 PM Well Kate/2327, I will make a point of giving you a shout out on the run.  With all of those tats you must have this pain thing down cold  Good luck and safe travels.

I deal with pain well as long as the end result is worth it.

... I am at Sabor too!! OMG! Yes Dramamine- I am still recovering as well - that dingy was rocking! Señor frogs almost came out! Shudda flown into Cozumel... See u all soon!
2012-11-23 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4507442

User image

, Florida
Here at the Sabor. Deb bib #2009.I am a bit upset that the swim caps say 70.3 and not 140.6. Are they kidding me?? This is a full IM right???
2012-11-23 6:30 PM
in reply to: #4508028

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
djblair - 2012-11-23 1:29 PMHere at the Sabor. Deb bib #2009.I am a bit upset that the swim caps say 70.3 and not 140.6. Are they kidding me?? This is a full IM right???
From the Facebook:Ford Ironman CozumelOMG! Ironman 70.3 swimming caps?We want to apologize with you. Tomorrow (Saturday 24th) at Transition Area Bike check-in we’ll be giving you the new swimming caps.
2012-11-24 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
Soooo happy to hear that!!! I was beyond disappointed when I opened my swim cap yesterday!!!

2012-11-24 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
Good Luck all doing IM Cozumel tomorrow. Enjoy every single second of it.
2012-11-24 11:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Good luck to all racing.  Enjoy your day!
2012-11-25 11:38 PM

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas
Hope you guys are all having a great day and enjoying yourself.  I'm jealous!!!
2012-11-26 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
Well-- what can you say after a day like that! No one said it was going to be easy. I got a chance to meet Heatmizer in the morning and also saw Kate. I hope everyone had a great day! Great site and great venue. I'll try to have the race report done in the next couple of days. Thomas
2012-11-26 9:31 PM

User image

New user
Nashville
I am in for 2013. Anyone else?

2012-11-27 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakeland
I got pulled out on the swim. I know there were about 200 of us that got creamed by the currents.

I was really bummed. This was my "make up" race after DNF'ing Florida with less than a mile to go to the finish at midnight.

So, I did what any completely deranged person would do. Found the next Iron distance race and signed up for it. I am doing the Bone Island Tri in Key West in January.

Hopefully that will go better.

To all who raced Coz, I hope your race went wonderful and you didn't ride on a jetski out of the swim like me.
2012-11-27 10:10 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

Rough day out there. This was my 2nd time at IM Cozumel, and the water and wind were -kicking.

Here is my race report-

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=469523

Some good, some bad for me. Not a PR, but I finished. I had an sub-par bike ride and a sub-par run, but did manage to finish with a friend.

I also did better in some ways than my race in 2010.

Highlights:

My bike seat-felt great

My tranistion times-Much better than before

Mental clarity-I never felt too confused-in 2010, I don't think I could have spelled my name after the bike.

Lowlights:

No mental push-The swim didn't bother me too much, even though it was tougher than usual, but on the bike and run, I just never got to that put your head down and go phase.

All in all, a great day to be out wandering in circles in paradise. I would do it again!

2012-11-27 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
I finished Sunday and am now laying in my hotel room sick with the GI bug/food poisoning/stomach flu, whatever. My family and I were supposed to be flying home this am but had to push our flights to tomorrow. I am glad it hit me after the race, but being spent from the race is not helping. Sunday was a tough day. The course really has the potential to be a beast or a lamb depending on the wins. The winds had been up somewhat over the days leading up to the race and did not slow down on Sunday. The swim is a rectangle, starting in the middle of a long side with the starting and final portions near the shoreline and the long section further out. The winds were blowing hard down the outside section, making it a very fast ride, but the other sections were brutal even for good swimmers. In 2009, with the outside swell, I finished in 59 minutes- Sunday I finished in 1:22. There was no faking this swim- people were being pulled out everywhere after being unable to move forward, people were hanging on the buoys to rest, the buoys themselves were being pulled off course. The bike was tough with the winds, particularly the headwind on the outside loop and lack of any place where you got much assistance from a tailwind. It was a tough ride, but I think the swim is to blame for the high DNF rate. I was just happy to finish - 45 minutes slower than in 2009 and probably better trained.As usual, I swore off doing another one several times on Sunday. I think I mean it this time, at the least I am taking next year off with a new baby on the way. If I ever do another one, it will be this one.
2012-11-28 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

I finished, upright and smiling, which was my ultimate goal!! The swim was hard. I estimated that I should've been able to do the swim in about 1:30 and I did it in 2:01. That last section...holy crap. I kept looking up at the same freaking yellow buoy. Stroke stroke stroke breathe....still there. In the same exact place. The longer I was out there, the more crowded it got with people who were barely moving!! Funny moment when I made the first turnaround - into the easy section of the swim - I was following a guy who plowed right into the buoy headfirst. Then I tried to go around it and the stupid buoy kept floating toward me. I couldn't get around it. Finally I stopped and blurted out, "Holy s***, the stupid thing is attacking me!!" One of the officials motioned for me to go around the other way at that point.

The wind on the bike was rough and I pulled a muscle in my foot early on in the bike. By the time I got to the special needs station, I was pedal-pedal-coasting on the bike at ~10mph due to the pain. Stopped to get my bag and realized I could barely put weight on my foot. God love the volunteer who spent 15 minutes rubbing pain relief cream into my disgustingly sweaty foot as I cried all over my warm pb&j. The pain gradually went away and I was able to finish the bike 11 minutes before the cutoff. (I have NEVER spent so much time staring at my Garmin while biking!!!) When I pulled into T2, you would've thought I won the race. I was screaming "HELL YES!!! I MADE IT!!!"

I got rear-ended 53 miles into the bike, too. Scared the crap out of me. I stayed upright; other guy didn't. He was sitting up and looking around so I don't think he was seriously hurt. That was crazy.

The run was more like a party than a run. By that time I had thrown out any goal besides just finishing, and when I realized I had plenty of time, I wasn't motivated to push too hard. I met some really nice people (including golfpro!) during that time. I did manage to shuffle-run the last 1.5 miles straight with everything I had left. Finished in 16:28. Looking at the snags I've run into in training, the fact that I just got into tris just over a year ago, and the number of people (including my doctor) who advised against this endeavor, I'm pretty freaking proud of myself.

Edited by runk8run 2012-11-28 9:54 AM
2012-11-29 6:52 AM

New user

Congratulations to everyone who made it through the race! For those of you who missed out, as mentioned you have more guts than the average joe just for signing up and getting to the start. Learn from your mistakes, get stronger and give the next race a piece of your mind!

11 months ago I had never done a triathlon. I had never ridden a road bike and my only running experience was one 1/2 marathon which took me 2.5 hours to finish and two or three 10k runs for charity. My decision to sign up for the Cozumel Ironman was quite the surprise to my friends and family.

Queue 1 year of total triathlon immersion. I bought all the kit including bike, turbo trainer, clothing etc. I signed up with a qualified coach who gave me weekly training plans via email. I trained 6 days a week, every week! I had a couple of injuries so in total I trained for 8 of the 11 months available. Unfortunately the second injury happened 1 month before the race. A knee bursitis. I had to rest the entire 4 weeks which should have been the most intense to build up to a peak for the race.

On race day I though I had recovered but I found out 2 hours into the bike that I hadn't and my knee was very painful! I barely made the cut off and then the run was agony. I finished with a time of 16h48min and so much pain I didn't hear then call me an Ironman and I didn't take much in. I got a great hug of my mum though :-)

The bottom line is I achieved my main goal which was to finish. Si Se Puede!!

2012-11-29 6:54 AM

New user

By the way: is there any significance to the necklace we were given after the finish? I'm talking about the one made of shells not the medal of course!
2012-11-29 8:04 AM

User image

Congrats to all who finished!!! First IM in the books, and all I can say is awesome!!! Conditons were tough but I met many people out there who encouraged and helped during the dark times. My thanks to who ever you are.

Loved at T1 that my wife and I were in the couples area, the first 6 athletes on the rack were all husband and wife with the same bikes. #1354 even had the same top as me!! Pretty sure my parents cheered for him too!

As a note to everyone my parents had never been to a tri before and were amazed at the energy and how all the athletes seem only competetive with themselves and not each other. They chatted with anyone they could, heard great stories and met great people. They would like to go again even if I don't race.

Loved being called as I crossed the line....an moment I will never forget! Congrats again and thanks to you all!!

Ian

Ps golf pro.....I am the guy with bad tanlines now!!!but surprisingly not that slow moving!!!

2012-11-29 11:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Looking at this for 2013 and the website says it has sold out for the past 4 years - anyone have any idea on how fast? Do I need to pull the trigger now?
2012-11-29 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4513168

User image

runk8run - 2012-11-28 9:52 AM

I finished, upright and smiling, which was my ultimate goal!! The swim was hard. I estimated that I should've been able to do the swim in about 1:30 and I did it in 2:01. That last section...holy crap. I kept looking up at the same freaking yellow buoy. Stroke stroke stroke breathe....still there. In the same exact place. The longer I was out there, the more crowded it got with people who were barely moving!! Funny moment when I made the first turnaround - into the easy section of the swim - I was following a guy who plowed right into the buoy headfirst. Then I tried to go around it and the stupid buoy kept floating toward me. I couldn't get around it. Finally I stopped and blurted out, "Holy s***, the stupid thing is attacking me!!" One of the officials motioned for me to go around the other way at that point.

The wind on the bike was rough and I pulled a muscle in my foot early on in the bike. By the time I got to the special needs station, I was pedal-pedal-coasting on the bike at ~10mph due to the pain. Stopped to get my bag and realized I could barely put weight on my foot. God love the volunteer who spent 15 minutes rubbing pain relief cream into my disgustingly sweaty foot as I cried all over my warm pb&j. The pain gradually went away and I was able to finish the bike 11 minutes before the cutoff. (I have NEVER spent so much time staring at my Garmin while biking!!!) When I pulled into T2, you would've thought I won the race. I was screaming "HELL YES!!! I MADE IT!!!"

I got rear-ended 53 miles into the bike, too. Scared the crap out of me. I stayed upright; other guy didn't. He was sitting up and looking around so I don't think he was seriously hurt. That was crazy.

The run was more like a party than a run. By that time I had thrown out any goal besides just finishing, and when I realized I had plenty of time, I wasn't motivated to push too hard. I met some really nice people (including golfpro!) during that time. I did manage to shuffle-run the last 1.5 miles straight with everything I had left. Finished in 16:28. Looking at the snags I've run into in training, the fact that I just got into tris just over a year ago, and the number of people (including my doctor) who advised against this endeavor, I'm pretty freaking proud of myself.

Congratulations! Were you wearing black or dark shorts? You finished a few minutes after my friend and before me. Sunday was rougher than rough yet good because of the crowd support. During the swim I shouted the same as you and even more. The swim and bike were both awful but part of the program. No matter how hard or well trained people were, the weather put a damper on the day but not enough for them to not be proud of attempting the race.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 16