General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wireless headphones Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-23 4:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: wireless headphones

Sorry for asking here I checked the Gear section and couldn't find much.  I was curious if anybody out there was using wireless headphones for there iphone or ipad.  I have a seen a couple out there but they seem to get mixed reviews based on the sweat factor.  I sweat a lot and since I'll mainly be using this on the trainer (bluetooth to the ipad hopefully)  I'll probably be sweating more.  If anybody has tried them would love to hear about the experiences, thanks.

2011-12-23 7:34 PM
in reply to: #3951869

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: wireless headphones

i have been using these for a month

http://www.jabra.com/sites/mobile/au-en/products/pages/jabrasport.aspx

battery life seems limited (2 hours), but they are sweat proof i believe. So far, so good.

2011-12-23 7:48 PM

User image

Apex, nc
stay away from the plantronics 903/906.  hTey work for a while then will fail in 90-120 days.
2011-12-23 8:31 PM

User image

Expert
I am getting Jaybirdgear for Xmas. I'll give a review then. Jaybirdgear.com. Use code usatjf3 for $20 off. Originally $99. Great reviews
2011-12-23 11:25 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
JMoney - 2011-12-23 4:41 PM

Sorry for asking here I checked the Gear section and couldn't find much.  I was curious if anybody out there was using wireless headphones for there iphone or ipad.  I have a seen a couple out there but they seem to get mixed reviews based on the sweat factor.  I sweat a lot and since I'll mainly be using this on the trainer (bluetooth to the ipad hopefully)  I'll probably be sweating more.  If anybody has tried them would love to hear about the experiences, thanks.

Tried them back in the day but it is just one more thing that needs batteries and one more thing to go wrong and have to setup. I don't have a good recommendation but I use a sansa clip, clipped to headsweats visor with some short skull candy ear phones.  That way the cords stays out of the way.  If you are doing this for an Ipad I assume you have different requirements but I pass it along for what it is worth.

2011-12-26 2:27 AM

User image

Veteran
California
I use RocketFish (I think they are the Best Buy house brand). Great sound, better than any others I've ever had. I've not killed the battery (rechargeable yet) in up to about 5-6 hours. And, I sweat alot. I've worn them in 100+ weather, and downpours, no problems.<br><br>http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish%26%23153%3B+Mobile+-+RF-MAB2+High-Definition+Stereo+Bluetooth+Headphones+-+Black/9246862.p?id=1218068108153&skuId=9246862&st=Rocket%20fish&cp=1&lp=12

2011-12-26 9:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

I have tried both Jaybird Freedom 3 and Motorola SD-10

The Jaybirds have the benefit of not going over the ears, so there's no issues with glasses.  BUT, for me at least, I can't wear them for more than about 25 minutes.  Since they fit in the ear, they press on the inside of the canal.  They include several sets of rubber tips in different sizes, including what they call "gecko grips".  They are flanged silicone pieces that help to grip inside the ear.  The problem I had though was as I'd run, they would still shift, and slowly fall out, so I was constantly adjusting and re-adjusting.

The Motorola SD-10s are more comfortable to wear for extended periods, but do have the over-the-ear design, so you'll need to adjust glasses as required.  They also come with several sizes of tips, but are not the gecko grip, they are the conventional silicone style tips.  I did have some issues with the controls, but it seems like since IOS 5, they work fine now.

Sound is decent in both, though bass is better in wired headphones.  Since they are both battery powered, they do need to be charged, so that's something else to plug in.  But if you're on a trainer, that should be a factor, since you can probably charge and use at the same time in a pinch.  They both suffer standby battery loss, so if you keep them in a gym bag for a couple weeks without using or charging, you might need to switch to wired, as the batteries could be dead.

Overall, I vote for the Motorolas, mainly for comfort.

Jaybirdgear

http://www.jaybirdgear.com/jf3/

Motorola SD-10

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Bluetooth-Headsets/Motorola-S10-HD-US-EN

2011-12-26 11:41 AM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA

What's the point of a wireless headset if you are going to be sitting in one spot anyway? I used to use a IR headset when playing computer games years ago, but now I just use an extension cord and whatever buds I have handy at the time.

I have a 20 foot cord attached to my iMac, which is attached to the TV/Monitor.  I can listen to anything on my desk while on the trainer. (Handy remote app on my phone also lets me control volume and a lot of things on the mac too.)

If the sweat is actually messing with your headphones I'd say going wireless is going to present MORE problems when you factor in all the additional components inside to be damaged.

There aren't any wireless ones per se, but H2O Audio has several models of water resistant and water proof headphones.  I got a new generation Interval and iPod for xmas to replace my worn out one, and I am signed up as a 'H2O Audio Rider' now.  That's a sponsorship/marketing program they have.  I get a hefty discount now and a shopping spree so I will be ordering some more gear shortly.

I'll soon have several items to review, and I think I'll be getting a discount code I can pass along. (20% I believe...)

2011-12-26 6:03 PM

Champion
No excuses!
motorola sd 10  absolutely love them!
2011-12-27 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3952019

User image

in a van, down by the river
+1, same experienceThey are good about warranty tho and mail you a new set before you return your bad set
2011-12-27 10:33 PM

Los Angeles

Like tcj103, I've used both models. In my case, the jaybirds used to slip out of my ears even with the gecko grips. I emailed them about it and they sent me a set of the new "secure fits" for free and that solved the problem.

http://www.jaybirdgear.com/jf3/bluetooth-headphones-features.html

Also, I kinda liked the motorolas, my only grip about them is that the hard thing behind your head makes them uncomfortable for commuting (reclining your head on the bus or airplane or whatever) or if you use them at the gym and you need to recline your head on a bench or something.

tcj103: If you registered the headphones on their website, you should ask them for the secure fit  thingies, they were free and free shipping.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wireless headphones Rss Feed