General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hallux limitus surgery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-25 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
Subject: hallux limitus surgery

Anyone have this done?

Background: Trained and did IMSG in May. Started dev outer foot pain in the right foot. Was diagosed w/ bone marrow edema in Aug from MRI. Stayed off foot in a boot for a month and got custom orthotics. That resolved and was cleared to run. Started running and dev pain the big toe joint. Didn't go away so went back and got a cortisone injection. Ok'd to run as tolerated. Ran for a couple of months and started having pain again a couple weeks ago. Couldn't tolerate running and even walking hurt. So went back got another injection. It did nothing for the pain this time. So I at the point to have surgery to correct the HL and bunion on my right toe. Just wondering how long the recovery time to get back to walking? running? How your mobility/pain post op?

2011-12-25 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3953244

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: RE: hallux limitus surgery

I had bunion surgery years ago. I had lots of burning pain and at the time wore heels alot and drove alot which made it worse. I think if it were to happen now, I'd opt for flat shoes and alternative measures.

In any event, I would highly recommend DOING THE REHAB TO THE POINT OF DISCOMFORT. I was probably not as vigilant then with rehab so as a result, I don't have as much flexibility in that big toe. 

Good luck!

2012-01-15 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3953244

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: hallux limitus surgery
It's been about 15+ years since I had mine done. I recall it took a couple of months before I was in good working order. Best advice I can give is to find an experienced and respected foot surgeon. First guy I used was an orthopaedic surgeon who gave me a brute force tomahawk chielectomy. He hurt me bad and i was no better after months of recovery. Second guy was a podiatrist and artist, who really knew what he was doing. He notched bones, realigned the joints with surgical screws, etc. And very little surgical pain! the surgery literally changed my life. Pre-surg i had difficulty walking and could not run. Since surgery I have done 12 years of triathlon. Good luck to you!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hallux limitus surgery Rss Feed