Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Why the British are better triathletes ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-01-03 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3959146

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Subject: RE: Why the British are better triathletes ...

They can't fathom that I'm not affiliated with a group, and in fact unaffiliated racers such as myself pay more to sign up for events.

Depends which races you go to, but I would guess so in general!

I see most people on the way home from work running with backpacks on and bikes dodging lorries (trucks) every day. So when they do get to the race venue with closed roads (sometimes) and carrying nothing no backpack, it's like a little vacation for them. A stroll in the park.

Bang on. I grew up cycling everywhere (Cambridge is a city of cycles) and am generally fearless on the roads. I 've dealt with it enough times. It depends where in the country too, being in london there is a lot more cyclists than say manchester. I used to get looked at like I was mental for cycling around roundabouts and going on the road on my bike at uni !

2012-01-03 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3960327

User image

Pro
Tejas

ChrisM - 2011-12-29 1:31 PM I'll take superior dental hygiene over the podium anyday

WIN.

2012-01-03 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3960531

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hugh in TX - 2011-12-29 2:33 PM

I've done a couple of IM races in Europe.  There is definitely a different vibe than races in the US.

In the US, we (talking the global "we") want instant gratification and we don't want to have to earn something before we get the gratification.  I believe in Europe the thought is I won't do "that" (whatever "that" may be), until I can do it well.

Let's take marathon for example.  Not that many years ago the cut off time was generally 6 hours.  That kept me from doing a marathon because at the time, I didn't feel I had the time to train properly to finish in 6 hours.

Now the cut off is generally 8 hours.  When I was into backbacking, it was generally accepted that a backbacker could travel a mile in 20-22 minutes.  Not a forced march pace, but a decent hiking pace.

An 8 hour marathon is about an 18 minute mile.  Just slightly slower than a backpacker's pace and without a loaded backpack.

"We" want the gratification of telling people we completed a marathon because we were able to collect a finisher's medal.  The day after a European IM, you don't see a large crowd of people draped in finisher's shirts, medals, and finisher caps roaming the streets like you do after a US IM.  They got their gratification the day before when they crossed the finish line.

Well there are also a lot of walkers doing marathons now... people who can't run due to age, knee problems, etc. Thus, the extended finishing time.

While it's very easy to finish in 8 hours for most people... I'm just glad people our out there doing SOMETHING versus sitting on the sofa stuffing their faces and becoming obese.

2012-01-03 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3968373

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
KSH - 2012-01-03 1:40 PM
Hugh in TX - 2011-12-29 2:33 PM

I've done a couple of IM races in Europe.  There is definitely a different vibe than races in the US.

In the US, we (talking the global "we") want instant gratification and we don't want to have to earn something before we get the gratification.  I believe in Europe the thought is I won't do "that" (whatever "that" may be), until I can do it well.

Let's take marathon for example.  Not that many years ago the cut off time was generally 6 hours.  That kept me from doing a marathon because at the time, I didn't feel I had the time to train properly to finish in 6 hours.

Now the cut off is generally 8 hours.  When I was into backbacking, it was generally accepted that a backbacker could travel a mile in 20-22 minutes.  Not a forced march pace, but a decent hiking pace.

An 8 hour marathon is about an 18 minute mile.  Just slightly slower than a backpacker's pace and without a loaded backpack.

"We" want the gratification of telling people we completed a marathon because we were able to collect a finisher's medal.  The day after a European IM, you don't see a large crowd of people draped in finisher's shirts, medals, and finisher caps roaming the streets like you do after a US IM.  They got their gratification the day before when they crossed the finish line.

Well there are also a lot of walkers doing marathons now... people who can't run due to age, knee problems, etc. Thus, the extended finishing time. While it's very easy to finish in 8 hours for most people... I'm just glad people our out there doing SOMETHING versus sitting on the sofa stuffing their faces and becoming obese.
X2. Not to mention doing any kind of physical activity for a solid 8 hours is really not the same thing as "instant gratification".
2012-01-04 6:43 PM
in reply to: #3960327

User image

Elite

ChrisM - 2011-12-29 2:31 PM I'll take superior dental hygiene over the podium anyday

Let's see, 5 minutes of brushing in the morning, 5 minutes more at night...that's 10 extra training minutes!  That's where the advantage comes from.  ...and let's not forget, every time they get on and off those double-decker buses, you're talkin' twice as many stairs!  Those vehicles are mobile stairmaster machines!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Why the British are better triathletes ... Rss Feed  

of 2