General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tri Newbie in Maryland Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-29 8:55 AM

Subject: Tri Newbie in Maryland

I'm a newbie to the triathlon experience. I have done some cycling in the past (trained for and rode a century with Team in Training back in 2009), although I haven't really kept up with it much since then. I was interested in taking up swimming for fitness purposes, and thought doing a triathlon would be a good way to integrate the swimming and biking and give me a goal to keep motivated.

Then I checked and noticed the local Columbia triathlon this year was falling on my 40th birthday, and it seemed like fate, so I'm looking to do that olympic distance tri this spring. Goal is just to finish, as a bucket list item, rather than competing for a fast time.

Began swimming around 6 weeks ago, starting from zero, and am making some slow progress through reading articles and watching various technique videos online. Not really worried about the biking, given my experience--I can be up to doing 25 mile rides with a few weeks of training. And 10k isn't that far to run--if I put in the miles training, no matter how unpleasant and tedious it is to jog, I figure I'll be OK. Of course, putting them all together is tougher than doing each individually, but it seems manageable to me, unlike the longer tris.

2011-12-29 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3959490

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Tri Newbie in Maryland

Hi, welcome to BT and triathlon!

Your goals and approach to training sound great. The training programs here are really good, too if you want to use them.

I'd also recommend looking into the Mentor Groups (link at top of this forum)--super for support and info.

The Maryland and Virginia forums might also put you in touch with local BTers if you're interested.

Good luck!

2011-12-29 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Welcome to the club, but be careful... that "bucket list" item might just be the bug that bites you! 

You're in a great area for tri training and racing there is a bunch of clubs and groups that can help you along.  Also, you can check out the MTS (Maryland triathlon series) from Set Up Events.  They do a great job putting on races and have several options in and around the Baltimore/DC area for sprint to half iron distance events.  I'm doing 3 of them this year.

2011-12-29 10:27 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs

Hey! Welcome to BT.

Check out the Maryland forum -- we're a pretty active group. You can almost always find someone to train with !

Where are you located? Most of us are in Balt/ Howard/ Montgomery

I don't know if you know this, but Columbia is a pretty big race and draws some big tri stars -- I met Chrissie Wellington there a few years ago. It's a great race!

2011-12-29 1:00 PM

Annapolis, MD

Oh the bucket list.

You sound like me last year.  Now 3 races later I am signed up for Eagleman 70.3.  Giving it a thought about doing Columbia this year also.

I had a good road bike but then went out a bought a used tri bike last year.Now looking at buying a new Custom tri bike.

Also look at attending the Multi Sport Expo in Bethesda, MD in early March. Lots of good programs.

Edited by brianclyde 2011-12-29 1:08 PM
2011-12-29 2:05 PM

User image

Westminster, MD

Hi!  I'm pretty new to triathlon myself, also in MD.  You might want to check out an indoor tri as part of your training/preparation.  I did one in Columbia a little over a month ago and it was great because you get a feel for the outdoor version in a safe environment.  Most of them do it for time instead of distance since it's inside.  The one I did was the Iron Fitness 140.6 minute (pool swim 20, spin bike 80, track run 40.6) indoor tri at the Supreme Sports Club.  It was put on by Tri2BeMore, and I thought it was run very well.  They are having another indoor tri March 18. www.tri2bemore.com 

Another thing I suggest to you from my very limited experience is practice open water swimming before race day.  I didn't think I'd have an issue: I was on the swim team in high school and have been swimming since I was very young.  I am very comfortable in any body of water, and the first time I swam in open water (in the ocean) I was terrified and freaked out.  Thankfully it was not during a race, and I was not swimming alone (rule number one!!).  Practicing open water swimming doesn't guarantee you won't freak out on race day, but at least you'll have a better idea of what to expect.  Good luck to you!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tri Newbie in Maryland Rss Feed