General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Incorporating a 50k trail run training into triathlon training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-29 5:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Manly
Subject: Incorporating a 50k trail run training into triathlon training

So and friend of mine and me have signed up for the relay part of the NorthFace 100 trail run here in australia. The race date is in the mid-May. We will be doing 50K each.

My race schedule is as follows 

Nowra - Olympic distance - 22 January  

Huskisson - Long Course - 19 February 

Sydney ITU olympic - 20 April 

NF 100 - 24 May. 

I was wondering how best to incorporate the long trail run training into my general traithlong training. 

At present i am doing 3 swims runs and bikes 

Long bike saturday 

Long run sunday. 

Any thoughts / help much apprecaited. 

Cheers

Neil 

2011-12-29 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3960846

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Incorporating a 50k trail run training into triathlon training
Well it depends where your stregnths lie. For me, there is no way I am finishing a 50k on less than 60k a week. I find swimming and biking do not help me run faster or further (although they do help me run a bit more and allow me to be less sore). As such, in my opinion you just need to find a good 18 week marathon plan (aim for maybe a peak week of 90k), then add in the biking and swimming component of a suitable tirathlon plan. 18 weeks starts in a couple weeks for you I think, so get on that.

Do your runs on terrain similair to the race as much as possible. You will not be quite as prepared for the tris but better to be poorly prepared for a 10k run with good support than a 50k one in the middle of nowhere.

I mean, depends on a lot, some guys around here can do a 100k on no specific ultra training.

2011-12-29 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mendenhall, MS

I do a 50K every year in March and i run 15 miles every other saturday two months before the race and i cut back a little on swim and bike but not to much. I did a 50K in march and a 70.3 in april and i was able to do ok.  i would just up my amount of running and you will be fine. Let us know how you do. Good Luck

2011-12-30 9:06 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I've never trained for a 50K, but I've done (last summer) somewhat high volume running (80-100mpw) while tri training.  You just have to accept that swim and bike will suffer somewhat.  General overall fatigue, including mental fatigue, from the running was my limiter more than anything else -- the thought of hopping on the bike in the afternoon after a morning run and a lunchtime run was just not appealing.
2011-12-30 10:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Manly
thanks all, i am hoping that by doing all this running my weight will drop by 8-9kg so i will indirectly benefit on bike at least.... we will see though 
2011-12-31 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Terrain makes such a big impact on the longer races.  If you have the opportunity to run any portions of the course that will certainly help.  Nutrition starts to make a big impact at the longer distances

2012-01-02 6:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Manly

i was thinking of incoporating IM run training into my normal training but on the same terrain as the 50k race. 

Just a thought 

2013-08-02 10:47 PM
in reply to: neilcarter

User image

New user

While the distance and pace of ultras shouldn't be a problem - one thing to be aware of on trail races - the uneven terrain is great for your joints but will quickly expose weak stabilizer muscles. I wound up out of running for 3 weeks after running a 5K trail race even though I had been competing in half-marathons on the road. Make sure you do some one legged squats and some glute work.
2013-08-03 9:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Do a long run build up August- December and then enter a maintenance period while you are racing Tris during your summer season. You can then do a short volume bump after Sydney.
2013-08-04 9:32 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I would keep it simple and continue with your triathlon training but increase your long run each week, and incrementally increase the amount of time on trails if you are used to roads. Many marathon plans call for a couple of 20-22 mile long runs leading up to the event. A 50k really isn't much different so you could go up to about 23-25 and be fine for the 50k. Last May I wound up doing a 50 mile trail race on minimal running after a strained calf muscle kept me off the road for a few weeks (the details are here: trited.blogspot.com, start w/ the February posts and go forward). I switched to a lot of swimming during that time, then added some biking, and slowly made my way back to running with an emphasis on the long run (Before I started my taper I did one long run of 33 miles about 3 weeks before the race) with a maximum weekly run mileage of about 35 miles (I probably averaged a little less than 30/wk). My goal for the ultra was just to finish, and I had no trouble with that. It looks like you have the 50k scheduled at the end of your racing, but if not, be sure to give yourself some extra recovery time.
One last thought is to consider that you are much more likely to get injured by over-training rather than not training enough. Listen to your body and take a rest day when you need to. If you wind up with 6 workouts/ week compared to 7 or 8, it probably will have little impact, if any, on your performance. In some ways, I think my injury was a blessing in disguise, because it really forced me to slow down, and be more mindful of how I was feeling.
Good Luck and here's to a great season!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Incorporating a 50k trail run training into triathlon training Rss Feed