General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Walking leading to knee problems Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-30 12:48 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Subject: Walking leading to knee problems

Hi Everyone. Okay I am definitely no where near running a full 5km in a sprint but I am very close to being able to walk it without my shins or feet hurting me too much. Just a bit more work on my endurance and I will be there. So here is the problem... I have recently been getting very "crunchy" knees and some knee pain/aches. Should I continue trying to build walking endurance or opt for less time walking and more time on the bike? I have the option of walking on an indoor track which is a bit more lenient on my knees than pavement (I think) and do not like walking on a treadmill. Weight is an issue and I am working at shedding pounds but so far the scale is stuck. I also enjoy swimming if that would be a better option than the bike. First sprint (ever) will be in March and I have been working out for the past 6 months. I am proud to say I can walk faster than my husband who is 6' compared to my 5'2" Smile

2011-12-30 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3962280

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Walking leading to knee problems

Hi Twink!  As a fellow unhappy knee person, I would recommend you build your endurance through swimming and biking, which are nicer on the knees than walking/running.  Maybe sprinkle a little walking in here and there on 'softer' surfaces like crushed stone or dirt trails or the indoor track, which you stated felt a little better on your knees.

Speaking from my own experience (and from facts given to me from my OT friend), any extra weight compounds any knee issues.  I forget the exact numbers, but  I think for every pound a person is overweight, three to five pounds of extra weight is added to each knee during walking. So in contrast, a ten pound weight loss causes 30 to 50 pounds of extra stress to be relieved from the joints.  Substantial.  Last year I lost close to 20 lbs and it made a huge difference.  Unfortunately, I gained about 8 of it back, so I need to keep focusing on my weight, too!

Best of luck to you, and welcome!   Oh, and a big congrats to you on making the decision to have a more active, healthy lifestyle!  Keep up the good work!

Edited by melbo55 2011-12-30 1:12 PM
2011-12-30 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3962330

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Thanks Melbo! The stats for added pressure on the knee are quite shocking...no wonder why my knees are rebelling Surprised I'll add extra time on the bike and in the pool. Also time to focus on the food intake...after I have my champagne on New Years!
2012-01-03 9:23 PM

User image

Venice
Swimming is probably the better choice for weight loss and endurance, but remember that the body trains specifically. Just because you can swim doesn't mean you can bike or run. I would also encourage you to be 100% sure your bike is fit properly and that your knee does not sit too far forward increasing patellar compression. I would also make sure that you are not landing with too much knee flexion at heel strike. Finally, if you wear a knee brace, it has to have a hole in it for your knee cap. I would also check out a patellar tracking exercise program, it would likely help a lot. 
2012-01-04 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3969642

User image

Expert
CenTex
You might also consider getting "The Stick" or a foam roller and roller out the muscles around your knees.  This will help to break up some of the scar tissue/knots around your knees and allow the natural shock absorber properties of your knees to work better.  (That's not a medical opinion but based on my experience with multiple knee surgeries and years of running while carrying 240-260lbs.)
2012-01-04 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3971280

User image

Regular
Vancouver

cornchexs - 2012-01-04 1:47 PM You might also consider getting "The Stick" or a foam roller and roller out the muscles around your knees.  This will help to break up some of the scar tissue/knots around your knees and allow the natural shock absorber properties of your knees to work better.  (That's not a medical opinion but based on my experience with multiple knee surgeries and years of running while carrying 240-260lbs.)

Thanks for the heads up, George! Never heard of The Stick before and I was actually looking at getting a foam roller. Looks like the best option for me would be the foam roller for large muscle groups and the trigger for joints. Smile

2012-01-05 5:03 PM

User image

Champion
MA

You could try water walking to be kinder to knees but will help you build some endurance.

I just had major surgery to help my knee with the goal of putting off knee replacement for a few years. At 49 I had normal knee cartilage for my age, a year later I had 3 bone on bone spots and my knee hurt all the time.

Try doing more non weight bearing excercise like biking and swimming to help burn calories, get fitter and be kind to your knees. Cycling will burn more calories than swimming. You may want to take some time of walking to see if your knee improves with time off.

Depending on how long the indoor track may be, it could be good. Our Y's have indoor tracks above the gym that is about 17 laps per mile and the whole time you are on cambered terrain which can screw up your hips and more.  If you have big track like 4-6 laps per mile much better for you. Outdoor tracks at most High Schools are great choice to walk as they are softer than streets or sidewalks.

You may want to try and get in with an Orthopedic surgeon to look at what's up with your knees.

Great work...keep at it!

2012-01-05 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3973608

User image

Regular
Vancouver
KathyG - 2012-01-05 3:03 PM

You could try water walking to be kinder to knees but will help you build some endurance.

I just had major surgery to help my knee with the goal of putting off knee replacement for a few years. At 49 I had normal knee cartilage for my age, a year later I had 3 bone on bone spots and my knee hurt all the time.

Try doing more non weight bearing excercise like biking and swimming to help burn calories, get fitter and be kind to your knees. Cycling will burn more calories than swimming. You may want to take some time of walking to see if your knee improves with time off.

Depending on how long the indoor track may be, it could be good. Our Y's have indoor tracks above the gym that is about 17 laps per mile and the whole time you are on cambered terrain which can screw up your hips and more.  If you have big track like 4-6 laps per mile much better for you. Outdoor tracks at most High Schools are great choice to walk as they are softer than streets or sidewalks.

You may want to try and get in with an Orthopedic surgeon to look at what's up with your knees.

Great work...keep at it!

Thanks Kathy! The indoor track is 1/8 mile and the outdoor track I found yesterday is 1/4 mile. The 1/4 track is great - rather be outside even in the rain! A bit of cushioning goes a long way. Went for a 2 mile with my husband yesterday and although I was in a bit of pain leaving the track (more back than knees) I found I'm feeling great today and not in any pain! So, I think its the weight that is the culprit and fortunately not a specific issue such as the cartilage wearing down. Going to keep very close track of any 'signs' but fingers crossed that its all good.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Walking leading to knee problems Rss Feed