General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to start? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-01 11:36 PM

Subject: Where to start?

Hi all,

I am new to triathlons, but not new to the idea/concept of being and living a healthier more active lifestyle... at half my current weight.

I have a goal to complete my first Tri no later than November 2012 and as I am very excited I am also scared. I know it will be a lot of hard work, sacrifice and determination, but in the end I will be a better person both in mind and body.

so here is where I need a little help... where/how do I start?

First off I am a 30 year old female, 5'6" in height and weighing 238 lbs... and it ain't all muscle either, lol.

My theory is the following:

I have a very weak ankle from a sports injury a few years ago that rolls very easily and my opposing knee gets inflamed from an old highschool strain on my meniscus. With this in mind, and the fact that I have thunder thighs, I have decided on focusing these first couple months solely on swimming and cycling. Once I have shed a few pounds and built up my core and stabilizer muscles I plan on breaking into the running. I will be doing some walking and hiking, but more for leisure than training.

I have a pool at home and will focus primarily on swimming & calisthenics for January. Once I get a bike I will cycle to the swim club to swim 2-3 times a week and refine my technique. I also live on an island, so I will also do 1 mile beach swims once a week.

As far as diet I plan on eating mostly steamed & grilled foods with portions of equal lean protein, complex carb and fruits/veggies. I will allow myself 1 cheat meal per week as fats will be very limited in my diet. I will try and eat 5 or 6 small meals a day including a protein shake post work-outs in the AM. Water consumption will be 4-5 liters per day.

Well, that's about all I really have for right now. Your tips and advice would be greatly appreciated

2012-01-02 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3965759

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Where to start?

Um, it looks you already have a fairly solid plan on how to start off.  I might add some strength training in there to work on some of the physical issues you have, but I'd probably consult a professional so I could focus the training to how it would benefit you the best.  Although general all body workout even would help. 

Personally I am not a fan of planned cheat days.  It is so easy to blow your whole weeks progress in one simple little day of overeating.  I would rather have treats through out the week.  This also allows me to never feel deprived.  I think having a cookie a day (if that is what you want) and accounting for it with your daily calories is better for you mentally and physically.  But everyone is an individual and you have to do what works for you.  Maybe think of a cheat meal instead of a cheat day if that is the route you want to take.  Harder to blow your progress on one meal vs a full day (although still possible).

2012-01-02 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia
Welcome to BT!  You seem to have a very solid plan.  There are a lot of tools here on BT to help you attain your goals.  If you need any help, don't hesitate to shoot me a message. 
2012-01-02 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3965913

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
bzgl40 - 2012-01-02 8:46 AM

Um, it looks you already have a fairly solid plan on how to start off.  I might add some strength training in there to work on some of the physical issues you have, but I'd probably consult a professional so I could focus the training to how it would benefit you the best.  Although general all body workout even would help. 

Personally I am not a fan of planned cheat days.  It is so easy to blow your whole weeks progress in one simple little day of overeating.  I would rather have treats through out the week.  This also allows me to never feel deprived.  I think having a cookie a day (if that is what you want) and accounting for it with your daily calories is better for you mentally and physically.  But everyone is an individual and you have to do what works for you.  Maybe think of a cheat meal instead of a cheat day if that is the route you want to take.  Harder to blow your progress on one meal vs a full day (although still possible).

This is some good wisdom.  Always count.  Strength training very important for you right now...if you can, I'd ask your doc for a referral to a physical therapist for that ankle.  That, and be patient, but relentless.  Don't be discouraged if the your scale doesn't change as quickly as you'd like it to.  It IS a science, and you're doing your part it will happen.

2012-01-02 4:29 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Welcome!  It sounds like you have a very realistic plan in mind and it seems like you will be making the changes in manageable chunks (swim focus first, then biking, then running), which should make the adjustment to a regular exercise routine easier.  If you should have trouble with your healthier eating plan, break that down, too.  For example, start with adding 2 servings of fruit a day, then work on adding more veggies, etc.  Often times diet changes are too sudden and dramatic and people find they can't stick to them for long.

Losing weight will help your ankle and knee greatly.  Speaking from my own experience (and from facts given to me from my OT friend), any extra weight compounds any knee issues.  I forget the exact numbers, but  I think for every pound a person is overweight, three to five pounds of extra weight is added to each knee during walking. So in contrast, a ten pound weight loss causes 30 to 50 pounds of extra stress to be relieved from the joints.  Substantial.  Last year I lost close to 20 lbs and it made a huge difference.  Unfortunately, I gained about 8 of it back, so I need to keep focusing on my weight, too! 

Best of luck to you!  Posting here on BT, keeping training logs and joining groups may help keep you motivated and give you support!

2012-01-04 5:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
Hey there and welcome to BT!

Your plan sounds solid but I'd be careful with planning that far ahead. I might be wrong but from the way you plan your lifestyle you sound a little like me. I plan and plan and plan. I have plan A, B, C and the emergency plan for whatever I do in life. In the end I throw all plans over board and let what ever happens happen. But when ever a plan fails it throws me off big time. I'm not saying you can't do it. I'm pretty sure you can! Just don't beat yourself up if you can't stick to your plan every once in a while. Life happens sometimes

2012-01-04 9:14 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Welcome to BT! so far I also think you have a great plan and if you stick with it, you should see great results. One thing I would add about running with your injury is I had a bad knee from an old high school lacrosse injury and with the weight I was at before, I couldnt really run without hurting myself. I consulted with a trainer at my gym (friend) and I started doing a a 30min circuit on cardio machines (10 mins on treadmill at brisk walking pace and increasing the incline by 5 every min until you reach the top then coming back down, 10 mins on the eliptical and then 10mins on the stairclimber machine) Not only did it help my cardio, but it was very low impact and helped me lose weight to the point where I could start running (and now I actually enjoy it lol). I also like using the rowing machine because its a great workout and gives some muscles a good workout too. Good luck with your journey and keep us posted. Feel free to ask any questions if you got em.
2012-01-04 11:16 AM

User image

Tuscaloosa, AL

I'm in a similar situation with running. I have feet issues that I believe have been caused by or at least amplified by my weight. I'm not running now, but hope to with the loss of about 20 lbs. Right now I am working out on the elliptical -- I can get a good cardio workout and some leg work without the constant pounding on my feet.

Hope things work out for you and you get to your triathlon as planned.

2012-01-09 12:01 PM

London
A good plan and a great deal of determination are the keys to weight loss in my opinion. Im sure you have both of those, but you definitly have a good plan. You sound like you have taken some good advice or done a lot of reading prior to starting. Your plan is sound, and as the others have said some weight training will help deal with alot of the movement alterations you will have picked up over the years from your injuries. It will also help improve your metabolism. Let us all know how you get on.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to start? Rss Feed