Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Wireless Electric Dog Fences Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-02 11:58 AM

User image

New Haven, CT
Subject: Wireless Electric Dog Fences
anyone have any experience with these?  have a new puppy and we need one and they look like they are about $300-400 instead of $12-1500 for a regular one?  Also, if they are good, which brands are best?  thanks.

2012-01-02 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3966340

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Subject: RE: Wireless Electric Dog Fences
We have an "invisible fence" brand fence. Best thing we ever did (and yes, I do have a physically fenced area to keep her outside when I'm not home). Pay to have them install AND TRAIN you and your puppy. I have a German Shepherd mix who LOVES to chase the deer out of our yard yet she stops on a dime where we trained her she couldn't go past. I'd also suggest investing the extra for the insurance (not something I normally do) but last year when my husband dug a hole to plant a tree and cut the line they replace that section no questions asked.

The fence will work to keep your dog IN if you take the time with the training. It will NOT keep other animals/dogs out. This is why we fenced a small area with a physical fence so that we could leave her outside when we weren't able to supervise her.

2012-01-02 1:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
I got one from Costco and installed it myself.  Very easy to do, and on took a few days to train our dog, who used to run off all the time.  A side benefit, when we moved away, the dog still knew to stay in the yard once we showed her the boundaries by setting up the flags again.
2012-01-02 1:56 PM

User image

Bronze member

2 experiences for us, both of them have not been very successful.

We bought an underground variety at our last house.  It worked well at first but then my husband ran over the wire with lawn mower (he is color blind and couldn't see the red wire on green grass). He patched it back together but our dog had already figured out it was temporarily not on. After that she just didn't care. She would run through it knowing full well she was going to be zapped. We eventually just scrapped the whole fence idea.

Fast forward to our current situation. Our neighbors accross the street have one. It is not underground but some other type. They have a boxer that breaks through the fence frequently. I don't know if they don't have the fence on, if her collar batteries are dead or what but she will go for weeks staying in their yard then all of the sudden she is in my driveway cornering my kids and barking like mad at my dog. It has really been a problem. I should add that they leave the dogs (they have 2 but we only have trouble with one) outside unattended all day while they are both at work. Not a good plan.

Good luck and have fun with that puppy!

2012-01-02 4:51 PM

User image

Regular

I have a wireless PetSafe brand fence.  Worked well for our two beagles though the runt would break through every so often.  Easy to set up and train.  That one had a 90ft radius which fit our 1.2 acres.  Left them have the run of the yard all day.  I think Havahart has one with a much larger radius but I don't know much about it.  You can also couple two unit together with an overlap that would give the pup even more room.

Best of luck with the puppy.  I'll be going thru that again in the spring. 

BTW I'll be looking for a mountain cur in the spring if anyone knows someone having puppies near NW PA.

2012-01-02 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
We have the wireless PetSafe system also.  It works great for our dog.  I spent a day setting it up with the flags and all that.  Then I held the collar and walked with the dog to the perimeter.  The first time it beeped, I made a big deal of running back to the porch and, of course, she followed.  That was the only training she needed.  I think she's been actually shocked twice in the 4 years she's been with us.  Most of the time the collar's battery is dead and/or the unit is not plugged in.  Another great feature is that the system is portable, so you can take it along with on trips.  You can also change the radius, giving the dog more or less room as the situation allows.  We have taken it on a trip to stay with relatives.  They had a pool and I didn't want the dog getting in it, so we set the radius small enough so she wouldn't be able to take a swim.  Of course, when she wasn't supervised, she was safely in the garage away from the pool.

2012-01-03 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3967061

User image

New Haven, CT
Thanks folks.... We really would prefer the wireless because we have a large semicircular driveway and lots of woods, thus installation of a wired system is expensive and they have to cut and seal the driveway, but snow plows often miss the driveway and i can see the wires getting cut constantly.
2012-01-03 4:33 PM

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
The Invisible Fence is the way to go and worth the $$ difference IMO.  As for the driveway issue they dropped the line within the seam and then sealed it with a caulk.  Works like a charm for our 3 dogs. 
2012-01-03 5:19 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

I bought ours at HD for around 200 bucks. I opted to run the wire inside a cheap plastic conduit made from irrigation drip line. 100 ft roll of that was 12-13 bucks. The idea being that most of our "fenceline" was going to be in the mulched flowerbeds around our house. We are able to move the line around a bit if we decide to plant more stuff in the beds. They are also easy to find in the flowerbeds (no cut wires!) and real easy to cover with mulch. We only had about a 30-40 ft. run that I buried in the front yard. I already owned a masonry blade for cutting the driveway. Just cut at a seam and caulk over. They're only 15 dollars and work with a circular saw.

Our dog learned to respect electricity and the little flags after one jolt. She knows the boundaries and thinks she can only cross them with a human holding her on a leash to keep from getting zapped. She hasn't figured out the part where I remove her receiver collar before her walk part yet! She has breached the line twice so far in the two years or so that we've had the fence. I think it's extremely effective considering all the temptations she is subjected to. We have deer roaming through our yard 24/7, racoons, coyotes, not to mention every other animal species in South Texas AND her best bud across the street digs under his gate and comes over all the time. They'll run full bore up to the line and she stops as the other pup runs over it.

Edited by mdg2003 2012-01-03 5:26 PM
2012-01-03 6:16 PM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MO

Add me to the Invisible Fence bandwagon, holds back our Australian Shepherd and that takes some doing

2019-04-13 1:10 AM
in reply to: jsklarz

bought new dog fence recently!
My 2 year old and 4 year old also love dog fence with it.

2019-04-13 2:35 AM
in reply to: jsklarz

User image

We tried it with two of our dogs. Our husky didn't even realize she had it on and would walk back and forth like it was nothing. My brother and I 'tested' to make sure it worked... trust me, it did. It probably didn't help that she was deaf and couldn't hear the beeping when she got near it and crossed.

The second dog was a beagle with an insane nose. If he wasn't on scent he would stay away from the fence but when his nose was on scent he would make a running start and blow through it until he was out of range. Then he would sit on the other side of the street as he wouldn't want to come back across.

After both of these experiences we just decided to put a physical fence in with a 1' under ground fence anchored into cement as the beagle enjoyed digging to get out of the first fence.

Experiences are different with each dog. We followed all the steps of walking them around the outside so they knew where it was, we put the visible flags in, and followed the process as described in the manuals. I know of a few friends who have had great success with their dogs, I guess it is from dog to dog.

I hope this helps,
Tyler
2020-09-03 4:24 AM
in reply to: rowdypaint

thanks sir.
2020-10-07 4:38 AM
in reply to: rowdypaint

User image

Please add me to the Invisible Fence bandwagon
2021-09-20 5:49 AM