Ringing in Hope
51F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 20m 28s
Overall Rank = 15/844
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/98
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 7 AM still not feeling too well. I caught some sort of bug over the Christmas holiday, and I've been congested and have had a scratchy throat since then, and I can't seem to shake it. Decided to run the race anyway since I felt OK and my wife was going to be out for a few hours. I decided to do the 5K, as opposed to the 10K, since I didn't want to push my luck.

Had some coffee and a bowl of cereal for breakfast and took a gel with me for pre-race. Since I had to register before the race I headed to the site about 90 minutes early.
Event warmup:

Got squared away with registration and dumped all my stuff in my truck and then set out to warm up. Since I've never run this race, and I'm not that familiar with the area I decided to run a bit of the course for a warm up. I ran for about 2 miles from the finish line so I really only got to see the last mile or so of the course (mile out and back).

Run
  • 20m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

My GPS had my race at 3.19, not so bad considering I didn't have perfect lines and I had a couple of corners where I had to go wide due to parked cars and such.

The first mile was a bit quicker than I would have liked. Since this was a decently large 5K on neighborhood roads I had to do a bit of acceleration and quick moves to get around all folks that just have to start right up front even though they will run a 30+ minute 5K. My first 2 minutes were run at 5:31, but once that was done, I tried to settle in a bit and ran the remainder of that mile at 6:22, averaging 6:07 through mile 1.

I pretty much held that pace through the next mile as well finishing mile 2 in 6:32, but then my ill health sort of caught up with me and I just couldn't push through... my HR was still in the mid 180, even though I had throttled back some and even glanced down at my watch a few times to see a current pace of nearly 7:00. I knew that I didn't have much left in me, so I just tried to keep pace and not let anyone pass me for the final mile.

I was able to do so, up until about .5 to go when I got chicked (I say proudly) by the eventual woman's race winner. Once she passed me I knew that others were likely coming so I dug as deep as I could and mustered a 6:05 pace for the last .3 miles, finishing the final 1.1 (1.19 on my GPS) in 7:47 (6:48 for mile 3, and 0:59 for the final .19)
What would you do differently?:

Not much, the race went fine and I did a bit better then I though I would under the circumstances.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for about 10 minutes and then did some easy stretching. Circled back to the finish area and cheered on the last of the 5K runners and the FOP 10K runners starting to come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sickness and my crap diet over the past week with all the Christmas parties, lunches, and dinners.

Event comments:

This was actually a very well run race with some above average pre/post race activities. They has some unique finisher food and great kids activities. There were about 1500 people between the 5K and 10K but it never felt like there were that many people, it was a really well run event. I think that I will do this one again next year, I enjoyed it.

Last updated: 2012-01-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:28 | 03.11 miles | 06m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/98
Overall: 15/844
Performance: Good
Progressively got slower, I think this had a lot to do with not feeling well. The course was pretty flat, so it wasn't so much me growing weaker from the race effort. Avg HR 182, Max HR 188 Mile 1 6:07, Mile 2 6:32, Mile 3 6:48, Mile .19 0:59
Course: Very flat with only a few slight inclines in spots. Run mostly through neighborhood roads with the start/finish line in the town center shopping plaza.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-01-02 4:43 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: Ringing in Hope 5k

2012-01-02 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3966850

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Ringing in Hope 5k

Good work on the AG win!

(Seems that these New Year's races are really growing in size.)

2012-01-04 8:34 AM
in reply to: #3966850

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Ringing in Hope 5k

Thanks!  Not my fastest 5K, and I rarely contend for the podium even on my best day, so it was nice to get an AG win.

This really was a great race... it was easy to get to and parking was plentiful, with tons of stuff to do for the kiddies... pony rides, face painting, etc.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ringing in Hope 5k Rss Feed