BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mav's Massachusetts Mentor Group/Full for the Season Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-07-15 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3966875

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Mav's Massachusetts Mentor Group/Full for the Season

Hey Everybody - I did my HIM today and didn't die!  6:57 - terrible swim, drenching rain on the bike complete with lightning and thunder on the bike, and a so-so run (hilly).  I'm pretty sure I got more wet on the bike than I did in the lake!  Thank goodness the sun wasn't out on the run either (just some sprinkles) because it would have been miserably hot.

I'll try to get a race report up tomorrow.  Thanks for the support!

Courtney

2012-07-16 1:20 PM
in reply to: #4312752

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
tribeagle - 2012-07-15 9:40 PM

Hey Everybody - I did my HIM today and didn't die!  6:57 - terrible swim, drenching rain on the bike complete with lightning and thunder on the bike, and a so-so run (hilly).  I'm pretty sure I got more wet on the bike than I did in the lake!  Thank goodness the sun wasn't out on the run either (just some sprinkles) because it would have been miserably hot.

I'll try to get a race report up tomorrow.  Thanks for the support!

Courtney

Woohoo!!  Congratulations, Courtney!!  Glad they didn't cancel anything due to lightening/thunder!  I'd say 6:57 is pretty fantastic!!  Look forward to reading your RR!! 

2012-07-17 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
2012-08-12 4:05 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

I did the Sharon's Back Tri earlier today and saw Kimberley!  Kimberley, it was so nice to see you!

This was my first time doing Sharon and I really enjoyed it.  Great atmosphere and nice flat race course!!

I'll post my RR once results are available...  Hope everyone is enjoying their summer!  It's been very quiet around here... 

2012-09-09 4:56 PM
in reply to: #4359532

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

Greetings Ladies.   Help!   I need shoe help.    Whom do you trust?    Marathon Sports? City Sports? Greater Boston Running Company?  I've been to PR running in Westboro once, seemed fine.    My feet hurt, my knees hurt, I need new shoes, and  I've got 48 days until this @#$%& marathon. 

My new pair has got to be returned to RoadRunner Sports because my left foot goes numb as soon as I put them on, every time I put them on! Tongue out

Advice and suggestions welcome.

2012-09-10 3:39 PM
in reply to: #4402398

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Erincsg - 2012-09-09 5:56 PM

Greetings Ladies.   Help!   I need shoe help.    Whom do you trust?    Marathon Sports? City Sports? Greater Boston Running Company?  I've been to PR running in Westboro once, seemed fine.    My feet hurt, my knees hurt, I need new shoes, and  I've got 48 days until this @#$%& marathon. 

My new pair has got to be returned to RoadRunner Sports because my left foot goes numb as soon as I put them on, every time I put them on! Tongue out

Advice and suggestions welcome.

Hey Erin!!  I go to Marathon Sports and have been really happy with them.  They ask you a bunch of questions to assess which type of shoe is best, measure your foot and then watch how you run (look for pronation, etc) and then recommend a good shoe for you.  Good luck!! 

2012-09-10 8:43 PM

Uxbridge

BAD MENTOR HERE!!!! Sorry for being so absent. LOTS going on between aging parents, adult children moving and IM training!!!! yada yada!!!!

Erin...My suggestion is PR Running. By far the best local running shoe store. Have them watch you run outside. If your feet are wide TRY mens shoes. Get the right fit and you will be fine.

If you think you are having problems with your feet see Neil Feldman. HE IS A GREAT podiatrist and a great guy as well as a triathlete. he gets it!!!!!

For overall imbalance stuff see Mike Roberts at Central Mass Pt in West boylston. Mike is da man!!! He will do a functional assessment and then give you an exercise plan. Probably see you once a month to check your progress. If you think its too far, think again...he only sees you a few times. He is also a triathlete and knows how type A we are and that we do our exercises. You dont pay him co pays 3x/week to watch you do the same stuff.

The problem is that it takes FOREVER to get an appt with either of these guys. Probably not in time for your race...but will be good for you looking forward.

2012-09-11 6:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

Mav and kristen -- THANKS for the recommendations! 

Funny thing is, my new shoes are EXACTLY the same as my favorite shoes, they are my third pair in a row, was a brand-new model last spring (asics gel nimbus 13).   Maybe they've been sitting on a shelf for ~2 years and the foam has hardenend? or it's a random irregular problem with the left shoe, or  - as my husband thinks - my feet have changed with 18 months of running (and aging), so I need a different shoe.

I tried rotating my big cushiony pillow shoes with some lightweight Saucony Kinvaras this summer, half the price and they felt  great for the first ~100 miles but then they seemed quite stretched out and I consistently got blisters with them.   So my Asics  that cost 2x the Kinvaras last 4x the mileage. Hmm.

2012-09-19 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

Look at this!   http://www.sharkfestswim.com/default.asp?PageID=21262

This Saturday, $70, with or w/o wetsuit, 1500m swim in Boston Harbor!  Anyone interested?  I am thinking about it...

2012-09-20 5:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA
2012-09-20 5:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

Hi ladies, @Kristen & Kim - noticed this running clinic in Hingham; somewhat near you?

I hope you are all doing well!  I am not swimming with the sharks in Boston this Saturday but it looks cool for next year!!

Cheers

ERin

2012-09-20 5:16 PM
in reply to: #4419809

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Erincsg - 2012-09-20 6:30 AM

Hi ladies, @Kristen & Kim - noticed this running clinic in Hingham; somewhat near you?

I hope you are all doing well!  I am not swimming with the sharks in Boston this Saturday but it looks cool for next year!!

Cheers

ERin

Hi!!  Which running clinic is it?  There are a couple around here...  I need to join one!! 

No swimming with the sharks this weekend for me either.  I did the Buzzards Bay sprint last weekend and that just about caps off my tri season for 2012, yeehaw!  Now it's time for me to nurse my shin so that I'm injury-free for the Quincy 1/2 marathon in March.  Are you guys in???  

2012-09-20 6:39 PM
in reply to: #4419807

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA
Erincsg - 2012-09-20 6:27 AM
Can you see thus flyer? I noticed it on Facebook; at the running store at Derby street shops on 9/27. Half of Quincy 2013! Ok, I'll pencil it in. Would love to see if I'm any faster in a year !
2012-09-21 5:31 PM
in reply to: #4421213

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Erincsg - 2012-09-20 7:39 PM
Erincsg - 2012-09-20 6:27 AM
Can you see thus flyer? I noticed it on Facebook; at the running store at Derby street shops on 9/27. Half of Quincy 2013! Ok, I'll pencil it in. Would love to see if I'm any faster in a year !

That clinic looks great.  I really like that store and it IS so close!  My big problem is that my husband usually doesn't get home from work until 7/7:30pm so evenings are generally not good workout times for me.    I've heard good things about the Colonial Road Runners Club which is out of Abington (I think?) and they do a clinic on Saturday mornings.  That might work for me.  I'm laying off any hardcore running for another month to see how my shin goes.  It has been a giant PIA for me this year, ugh!  And definitely pencil the Quincy 1/2 in! Looks like March 17th...

2012-10-12 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

Interesting: a new 70.3 tri in Boston (Winchester-Somerville-Boston) next summer.

http://www.bostonwarriortri.com/event-info/

2012-10-15 5:55 PM
in reply to: #4451197

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Erincsg - 2012-10-12 10:27 AM

Interesting: a new 70.3 tri in Boston (Winchester-Somerville-Boston) next summer.

http://www.bostonwarriortri.com/event-info/

Nice!  Are you registering???!! 

I would definitely consider it, but nervous that it's their first year and I don't love races with 2 separate transition areas b/c it causes some logistical challenges for me with my diabetes supplies.

Keep me posted on whether you register...

2012-10-17 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4454791

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA
I probably won't try for 70.3 next summer; I could barely find time to myself for the long rides just doing Olys this year.   But since Patriot always sells out, it's an interesting option for the future.  I like race volunteering; also would come out to cheer on MAV!
2013-01-10 2:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

Well, the Half of Quincy is ON after all!

Announcing...

Ready, get set, register! The 2013 rendition of the Quincy Half Marathon is now open for registration. Sign up today for the March 10th road race here in the City of Presidents. This late winter primer for the spring marathon season promises to be better than ever, take advantage of this opening offer of $40 to sign up and start training. Go to halfofquincy.com for details.

Thank you and see you in March;

Follow us on FaceBook for updates.

Quincy Half Marathon
halfofquincy.com
Quincy MA 02169

2013-01-10 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Hey Erin!  Yeah, I heard that about the Quincy Half.  Unfortunately, I got too antsy waiting for them to confirm it so I went ahead and registered for the New Bedford Half on March 17th.  Any interest or are you thinking Quincy?  I'm happy to report that my stress fracture in my shin that pained me all of last summer seems to finally have healed and training is going great so far.  (knock on wood!).

Hope you're doing well!!

2013-01-11 11:47 AM
in reply to: #4572590

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA
kpringle - 2013-01-10 4:00 PM

Hey Erin!  Yeah, I heard that about the Quincy Half.  Unfortunately, I got too antsy waiting for them to confirm it so I went ahead and registered for the New Bedford Half on March 17th.  Any interest or are you thinking Quincy?  I'm happy to report that my stress fracture in my shin that pained me all of last summer seems to finally have healed and training is going great so far.  (knock on wood!).

Hope you're doing well!!

Good for you, running the New Bedford half! That one looks fun - spirited crowd, green costumes, etc

I didn't make it to the Cape Cod marathon in October, but started physical therapy for my nagging hamstring and  patellar tendinitis. Total rest and steroids worked; I'm nervous about aggravating them again, though .  I'm just re-starting training this week.  30 mins run/walk...ARGH

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mav's Massachusetts Mentor Group/Full for the Season Rss Feed  

of 23