General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running after pregnancy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-03 8:18 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: Running after pregnancy
Just wondering how long other women have waited to start running again after being pregnant. I gave birth a little over three weeks ago.   I'm eager to get back to it, although I get pretty tired just walking for 20 - 30 minutes.

2012-01-03 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3967682

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
Subject: RE: Running after pregnancy
My wife, with clearance from her doctor of course, ran through her entire pregnancy.  She even ran earlier in the day before she delivered our second.  She took three days off and was back at it with no ill effects.  Just another reason why I'm in awe of her.  Good luck with your running and congrats on the new one!
2012-01-03 9:47 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs

Did you have a c-section or a vaginal birth?

I had an emergency C, so I had a longer recovery time (major surgery and all that).

I worked out throughout my pregnancy, but it was tough to get back into running. I think most doctors recommend 6 weeks to recover. Make sure you start up again slowly! I did a lot of run/ walk before I got comfortable running for an extended period of time.

and Congratulations! Boy? Girl? How are you doing??

2012-01-03 10:00 AM

Veteran

Artemis - 2012-01-03 8:18 AM Just wondering how long other women have waited to start running again after being pregnant. I gave birth a little over three weeks ago.   I'm eager to get back to it, although I get pretty tired just walking for 20 - 30 minutes.

Congrats!  I had a c-section with twins and it took me over 6 months before I was running again.  And then I was only going a mile or so and then walking.  I didnt really start running much until the kids were almost a year.  Between the exhaustion, breast-feeding, and new-ness of being a parent I just didnt have the energy. 

2012-01-03 10:24 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Doctors and midwives recommend waiting 6 weeks.

I ran throughout my pregnancy.  The thought of waiting 6 weeks until I could run again was driving me crazy.  (Once a runner, always a runner.)  Thankfully, I had a super easy vaginal birth.  I started doing some running during my walks about 2 weeks postpartum.  It felt good.  No problems for me.  After my 6 week check up, I ramped up my steady running.

The bike was a totally different issue!  Holy moly!  It took FOREVER to be comfortable on a bike again! Wink

2012-01-03 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3967880

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I had a baby girl!  We didn't know before, so it was a great surprise.  We're doing ok.  I've had some issues with nursing (way harder than I thought!) but they are getting better.

I had a vaginal birth, although not super easy.  I think I'm mostly recovered from that.  

I ran until I was about 34 weeks pregnant and then it got too hard and uncomfortable.  I still have two more weeks until my 6 week check up, and I'm not sure that I want to wait that long to try.  Maybe I'll try the run a little during my walks route to see how it feels.  I kind of feel like getting out of the house and running for maybe 15 minutes alone would help me mentally, so that's why I'm eager to get back to it.

Edited by Artemis 2012-01-03 11:53 AM

2012-01-03 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3968255

User image

Master

I think it took me 3 months with my first daughter and probably about the same with the second one, but a lot of my delay was due to (a) birth trauma on my pelvic floor, and (b) that the baby couldn't sit up in the jogging stroller yet.

I agree that you could add some running into your walks and see how it goes. 

Be aware of hydration, though, especially if you are breastfeeding and take a water bottle with you and drink extra after your run and while you are feeding

Regardless of when you start back running, your run fitness will come back fast, so don't sweat the details of start date. 

Oh, and - if you take your baby in your jogger when it is cool/cold, I found it helpful to line the jogger with a blanket (or even a towel) before putting the baby in and keeping the baby in her jammies during the walk/run.  That kept her warmer (and therefore happier) longer than just putting her in the stroller with no blanket or in regular clothes.

2012-01-03 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Congratulations!

I started walking as soon as I got home from the hospital with a c-section, but it took me 20minutes to do half a mile. The next day though it was 13 minutes for a half mile. Go with what your body is telling you.

I run/walked until my due date, and started with that 2 weeks after delivery. That being said I was running for about 15seconds at a time and built up from there. Oh, and I would add incline, when I didn't feel like bouncing.

Excess information with time being short, I found a website with short bodyweight circuit intervals that really helped me lose the weight and get my core strength back. www.bodyrock.tv
I reccommend it to anyone who will listen. Most of the workouts are 12' long, and they entertained my little girl to watch me jump around.

2012-01-03 5:39 PM

User image

Master

I was too tired to from crazy nursing schedules to start up again till two-ish months after. Didn't run though. Just back on the soccer field.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl! Go when you feel comfortable if you're healing well.

Edited by Blanda 2012-01-03 5:41 PM
2012-01-03 5:41 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

Oh, and  ---

If you don't have one, I recommend getting a heavy duty sports bra (if you're nursing). Even if you've just nursed or pumped, running with nursing boobs can HURT!

2012-01-03 7:09 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

I think I started back around 3 weeks after delivery.  I felt ready and it was nice to get out of the house for a bit and do something besides nurse, eat, and attempt to get some sleep.  Congrats on your baby girl!!

2012-01-03 8:38 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

Congrats on your baby girl- parenthood is awesome despite the lack of sleep etc..  I had an emergency c section and would not have thought of running for at least 4-6 weeks. I had to have a dand c at 5 weeks so that delayed me even more.  I refuse to run less than 3 miles at a time so it was tough coming back but be patient and it will happen, run/walk when you can.  Your body will tell you wether you can go more or not.  Get your core strength back asap!  My baby is almost 2 and I still dont have any abs! ( probably would help more if I would actually do some core work LOL

Good luck and enjoy every minute of motherhood!

Paula

2012-01-03 9:37 PM

User image

Bronze member

Congratulations on your new baby!!

2012-01-04 9:21 AM

My sister had a c-sec (twice) and was cleared to run as tolerated at her 6 week appt, like you she ran well into her 3rd trimester.  I wasn't exercising post pregnancy with either of mine for other reasons (back issues) so I can't speak from my own experience.  I agree with the previous poster related to hydration and breastfeeding, I was not able to tolerate much exercise while BFing as my weight just wouldn't stay up no matter what b/c of the caloric need and BFing (I am super small to begin with and ate like a freaking horse and tried everything, still stayed below my pre-preggo weight, not healthy) Hydration made a big difference in my supply and such, I tend to show signs of dehydration very easily with pregnancy and during BFing, so I had to be cautious.  Pay attention to your body, that is the best advice I can give, related to hydration, fatigue etc.  
2012-01-04 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

With both my kids, I ran until I was about 5 mos pregnant and then realized I was huffing and puffing and shuffling along at a pace that was probably not much faster than my walking pace.  At that point I started walking daily and continued that until each baby was born.

Afterwards, with my 1st I was itching to get back to running and after 3 weeks, I called the Dr and asked if I could at least start walking.  I did and gradually added some running.  It was tough going at first, but it got easier with time.  I think the main thing is to listen to your body - I had days where I felt great, but other days I felt tired and sore.  And I agree with the comment about a good sports bra!  I had to double up and wear two until I had a chance to go buy a super supportive sports bra!

2012-01-04 7:50 PM

User image

New user

I also ran through out my entire pregnancy including the morning of my induction.  My doctor was aware that I was itching to get back to running very quickly after my son was born (I qualified for the Boston Marathon in Jan 2011 when I was 4 weeks pregnant and registered this past Sept.  My son was born Oct 10th, exactly 27 weeks before the race!)  She recommended that I wait two weeks but said that I could try to run as soon as I felt up to it.  I started walking when I got home from the hospital and waited about 2 weeks before trying to run.  By the 4th week after my son was born, I was back to running 6 days and 25-30 miles a week.  I think it all comes down to how you feel.  The first time I tried jogging during a walk it was very uncomfortable and I only made it about 20 yards.  The second time I tried jogging, it felt more comfortable and I was able to go farther and I continued to walk/jog until there was no discomfort. 

As with all training advice, I would listen to your body and let it tell you when you can return to running.  If you feel comfortable running, go for it.  If it is not comfortable, wait.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running after pregnancy Rss Feed