Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2012-05-03 5:58 PM
in reply to: #4189094

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Biggest Loser
jldicarlo - 2012-05-03 2:53 PM

If a person put on all their weight because they were physically abused by a parent, having that come out on national TV would be bad...way too public to deal with such a private issue.  So, I'm SURE the producers are reasonable about sensitive medical information. 

But I'm going to guess that any stuff like high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. is told to be fair game from the get go. :D

Well ya, I'm not talking about getting crazy, or filming therapy sessions. There certainly can be legitimate stuff you don't want the world to know... but even Doctors talking about food addicitions, or other problems and how those things work and how to deal and cope with it, or resolutions to use. There is plenty of other material for helping those on the other side of the screen suffering with the same general problems.

We obviously know the people on the ranch get a whole army of support normal folks don't have access to. The only way I could see it being harmful is if those suffering from the same problems actually saw all those things happening, maybe that would make it seem more unobtainable to them.... like why should I bother if I don't a have a 5 doctors and 10 nutritionists and 3 personal trainers helping me out. Does that make sense?

2012-05-03 7:27 PM
in reply to: #4189094

User image

jldicarlo - 2012-05-03 10:53 AM

If a person put on all their weight because they were physically abused by a parent, having that come out on national TV would be bad...way too public to deal with such a private issue.  So, I'm SURE the producers are reasonable about sensitive medical information. 

But I'm going to guess that any stuff like high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. is told to be fair game from the get go. :D

I think one contestant from season 12...the hillbilly guy who was a singer, entertainer, that did the worm after a weighin talked about how his dad used to beat him.  I'm sure they still need consent to air that stuff though. 

2012-05-03 10:23 PM
in reply to: #3968036

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

I missed the entire season except the last 10 minutes of the finale so I missed all the stories and drama.

I was surprised that two of the three finalists still had a lot of weight to lose.  I didn't even realized that they were the finalists since two still had so far to go.

I was disappointed that the one who looked the best didn't win.  Doesn't seem fair that she couldn't win just because she was less obese to start....

Brian

2012-05-03 11:52 PM
in reply to: #3968036

Does every overweight person HAVE to have some deep rooted reason why they are overweight?  Lazy? Doesn't like to sweat?  A person can be overweight without having all those "issues".  

I know why I am, it's because food and I have a love hate relationship, I love it but it hates me.  I like to eat good food.  

2012-05-04 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4189687

User image

Elite
asianflava - 2012-05-03 10:52 PM

Does every overweight person HAVE to have some deep rooted reason why they are overweight?  Lazy? Doesn't like to sweat?  A person can be overweight without having all those "issues".  

I know why I am, it's because food and I have a love hate relationship, I love it but it hates me.  I like to eat good food.  

No, not every "overweight" person has serious problems... but I can say with confidence every morbidly obeses person does.

When your behavior is killing you, when you can't stop or change no matter what, when you know what the consequences are and you still continue to do it... that in itself is a serious problem. Something is drastically wrong. Maybe an "issue" is just an excuse... but it does not mean there is not a serious underlying problem. You don't get to 400lbs by just being lazy.

Even for you, you can't control your behavior even though you do not like the results. You don't see that as a "problem" even if you don't have an "issue" to blame it on? Just asking, not trying to get personal.

2012-05-04 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4188594

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Jtiger - 2012-05-03 11:48 AM
swishyskirt - 2012-05-03 12:26 PM

I think the reason there is so much love for Tara is because she was a competitor. She just pushed through some of the stuff a lot of people (ironically!) on the "no excuses" season just broke down and whined over. 

Tara didn't whine like so many competitors on this show over the years.  She just sucked it up and kicked .  They keep bringing her back because she is so loved by the fans. 

Oh Tara sure did whine and cry a lot on her season, she just solved it near the end. So many people think she actually won too. So there is hope for Kim.

Money annoys me, in that Jeremy lost the most, and won the biggest prize, but Kim lost more than Mike, yet he gets 100k she doesn't. So 1st and 3rd get paydays, 2nd gets nothing (but I'm assuming there's contact to pay her something anyway if not 100K)

I was really rooting for Megan, but she seems ok where she is. Risk gaining it back though. Santa will probably divorce. 

I thought pink Emily looked great, but I'm a sucker for big boobs.  

2012-05-04 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4190521

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Khyron - 2012-05-04 10:08 AM [

Money annoys me, in that Jeremy lost the most, and won the biggest prize, but Kim lost more than Mike, yet he gets 100k she doesn't. So 1st and 3rd get paydays, 2nd gets nothing (but I'm assuming there's contact to pay her something anyway if not 100K)

More like 1st and 18th won money. Mike was the second one out from those on the ranch. 

2012-05-04 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4190660

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
abqtj - 2012-05-04 11:54 AM

More like 1st and 18th won money. Mike was the second one out from those on the ranch. 

I think he meant that the person with the highest percentage of weight lost and the person with the third most amount of weight lost made money.  The person with the second highest percentage of weight lost (Kim) got diddly squat (as far as we know).

See, I don't see why someone like Kim so desperately wanted to be a finalist...she knew that against someone like Jeremy she mathematically could not win...but if she'd been eliminated from the ranch she WOULD have won the at home prize.  Getting yourself eliminated near the end to set yourself up to win the most money isn't a bad thing!

2012-05-04 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4190521

Master
Memphis, TN
Khyron - 2012-05-04 11:08 AM

I think the reason there is so much love for Tara is because she was a competitor. She just pushed through some of the stuff a lot of people (ironically!) on the "no excuses" season just broke down and whined over. 

Tara didn't whine like so many competitors on this show over the years.  She just sucked it up and kicked .  They keep bringing her back because she is so loved by the fans. 

Oh Tara sure did whine and cry a lot on her season, she just solved it near the end. So many people think she actually won too. So there is hope for Kim.

I was really rooting for Megan, but she seems ok where she is. Risk gaining it back though. Santa will probably divorce. 

I don't remember her whining at all.  I remember her telling her partner to suck it up on several occasions and she won almost every challenge they had that season.  She did not win the finale but won the hearts of the fans by and large

2012-05-04 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4190711

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
jldicarlo - 2012-05-04 1:15 PM
abqtj - 2012-05-04 11:54 AM

I think he meant that the person with the highest percentage of weight lost and the person with the third most amount of weight lost made money.  The person with the second highest percentage of weight lost (Kim) got diddly squat (as far as we know).

See, I don't see why someone like Kim so desperately wanted to be a finalist...she knew that against someone like Jeremy she mathematically could not win...but if she'd been eliminated from the ranch she WOULD have won the at home prize.  Getting yourself eliminated near the end to set yourself up to win the most money isn't a bad thing!

Actually it may be a fairly smart move.  She was in the public eye for much longer, won over a lot of people with her work ethic and of course her end results.  I bet she parlays her "losing" into much more than 100K.  Mike, IMO, will fade into obscurity.  When they brought the contestants back at the end for their 2nd chance, I couldn't have told you Mike's name even if you told me it rhymed with "like"... I will remember and recognize Kim for a long time, much more earning power with that.

2012-05-04 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4190799

User image

Jtiger - 2012-05-04 7:40 AM
Khyron - 2012-05-04 11:08 AM

I don't remember her whining at all.  I remember her telling her partner to suck it up on several occasions and she won almost every challenge they had that season.  She did not win the finale but won the hearts of the fans by and large

Tara went through about 3-4 episodes where she would not really "whine", but get upset about the whole game because she knew everyone was teamming up against her.  She would constantly cry to Bob how she felt she had so much pressure on her every week because she was scared to fall below the yellow line.

So it wasn't nearly the same "whining" about rules, other contestants, or I quit and want to go home that this past season went through.  It was more of a "I want to win so bad, but it's hard" type of whining.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Biggest Loser Rss Feed  

of 19