General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cracked heel skin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-04 6:08 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Subject: Cracked heel skin
Hi all -

My feet dry out horribly once the weather gets nice enough to wear my Tevas. Unfortunately, usually the drying is so severe that it cracks the skin deeply, sometimes to the point of bleeding. Facing it at the moment on my right heel, which is keeping me from running. Current treatment is soaking nightly and keeping Vitamin E moisturizer on it inside my sock. Hopefully it will heal soon and I'll just do my best to go lightly on wearing the most comfortable pair of shoes I own.
Thankfully, I'm coming up on my rest week, so I can go easier on it as well.

Anyone else experience this? If so, do you treat it any differently?

Thanks!

2006-05-05 7:48 AM
in reply to: #415245

User image

Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Subject: RE: Cracked heel skin
I suffer from this every summer! It really does make it hard to run and even to walk. I swear by Burt's Bees nightly foot cream. It's very thick but if you put it on right before you go to bed and wear clean cotton socks when you sleep, your feet will feel much better in the morning. You should soak and use a pumice stone before you apply the cream. And avoid flip flops, tevas, etc until it's healed up. I find that if I start the foot cream routine before summer starts, I can usually avoid deep cracking.

http://www.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?c...

2006-05-05 9:13 AM
in reply to: #415525

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Thanks! I may have to check out Burt's Bees, hopefully they have something similar that's not coconut (allergic... ugh). I have been doing the vitamin E moisturizer under socks nightly and it seems to be having some effect. And I think I'm definitely going to have to go with preventative measures once this current fissure is healed.

2006-05-11 10:47 AM
in reply to: #415245

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
the above advice sounds good, but there is also one more thing to consider with cracked painful skin, and that is a fungal infection. You can try an overthe counter antifungal creme for a few days and see if it helps healing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cracked heel skin Rss Feed