BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KathyG's 2012 Awesome Mentor Group-Full up Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2012-01-05 11:52 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: KathyG's 2012 Awesome Mentor Group-Full up
WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

NAME: KathyG/Kathy

STORY:After losing weight the previous 1.5 years, I did my first tri in 2004 to prove to myself I had changed. My first tri I was full of fear. Over time my fitness improved, I became faster and in time slowly did longer tris. I find triathlon teaches me a lot about myself if I allow it to and can be great tool for personal growth. I race to challenge myself and help me keep focused in my training. Since 2004 I have done races about 50 of all distances including 4 IMs, participated in 3 other Iron distance races as biker in relay and done 2 IM aquabikes. I'm passionate about triathlons and the positives it brings both to my life and the lives of those I know.

I love to ride. I have quite a few bikes and enjoy racing cyclocross.

I see triathlon can be a amazing journey to self discovery if you allow it to be. The pleasure and joy I get out of s/b/r is amazing and life changing.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 5 kids (13-22) & I turned 50 2 months ago

CURRENT TRAINING: With surgery 12/5, I'm in recovery phase. I will be on crutches 2-3 more weeks and was just given okay to swim easy. In 6 weeks I may be able to start working on fitness and getting back to more normal training.

I have worked with coaches since 2005. I do best when I have someone put together my plan with my input of what workouts fit best on what days and just follow the plan.  I like the technical aspect of tri training and have used a power meter since 2006.

PT, ROM cycling and easy swimming are my focus currently.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2011 had many obstacles. I gave up running in May as pain it caused my knee was effecting my day to day life. I did a few sprint as relay member as biker or swim/biker with my husband and daughters. I also did HIM AB in June, Oly AB in August and IM AB in September. I had registered to do both IMLP and IMFL to coordinate with turning 50 as IMFL would have been my 5th IM and was the day after my 50th birthday. I withdrew from IMLP but did participate in IMFL planning on walking the run if knee held up. My orthopedic surgeon was okay with the plan and I scheduled major surgery the following month.  I was able to finish the race and knee handled it okay. I had my leg realigned so that my weight would be on the part of my knee that has good cartilage as I have 3 bone on bone places. I had both TTO and HTO surgery both on my tibia so I had part of my tibia cut off and realigned to avoid patella pain and about 3-4" below knee joint tibia was cut almost through and wedge of 8.5 mm was made with plate and screws.

2012 RACES:  Once recovered from surgery, hope to get back to normal training. The only race I'm registered for is IMFL in November which I realize that my participation is a big question mark. If recovery and training goes well I hope to do some aquabikes prefer IM and HIM distance as well as some relays with my family. I may be able to start running but need to limit how much I do in order to avoid knee replacement as long as possible.

WEIGHTLOSS: Since 2003 I have lost and maintained big weight loss. I have lost up to 98 pounds and during off season tend to gain back 10-18 pounds. For me exercise that I enjoy is key to maintaining my weight.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: With injury, not working out much, I have lots of free time and enjoy helping others achieve their goals. I've mentored different BT groups over the years. I enjoy discussing various methods of training, have tried different protocols with various coaches, and try to study the sport to learn more. Being on the side line, I love helping others find joy in this sport more than ever.

I hope our group is full of folks that will stick with the group despite ups and downs they may encounter and want to share their journey with others.

Edited by KathyG 2012-01-08 3:58 PM

2012-01-05 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3972843

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Subject: RE: KathyG's 2012 Awesome Mentor Group
Sign me up, Kathy - I know you will inspire me!
2012-01-05 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3973138

User image

Champion
MA

annabananamc - 2012-01-05 3:15 PM Sign me up, Kathy - I know you will inspire me!

Glad to have you with us!

When time permits cut the outline of bolded text from what I posted and share with the group.

2012-01-05 3:35 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

I'm so excited you have a group!

Would you mind if I'm a member of your group?

2012-01-05 3:57 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon

I would like to join, participated in mentor groups the last two seasons, and love the extra motivation and meeting new people! After a lackluster and burned out 2011 i'm ready to bring it on in 2012.

Kiri

2012-01-05 4:09 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Kelly and Kiri - dive on in! Now I am thinking I need a 'K' name to fit in around here...

2012-01-05 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3973351

User image

Champion
MA
kaburns1214 - 2012-01-05 4:35 PM

I'm so excited you have a group!

Would you mind if I'm a member of your group?

Love you to join

2012-01-05 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3973422

User image

Champion
MA
kirih - 2012-01-05 4:57 PM

I would like to join, participated in mentor groups the last two seasons, and love the extra motivation and meeting new people! After a lackluster and burned out 2011 i'm ready to bring it on in 2012.

Kiri

Kiri, welcome to the group and I look forward to sharing your 2012 journey with you!

2012-01-05 6:20 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
About me....(it's long)

NAME: Ann McG/Annabanana or Ann

STORY: I was a couch potato bookworm for the most part until I was almost 30, tho' I did love to be outdoors all the time. For my 30th, I signed up for a bike tour from Maine to Florida, 2100 miles. It was a BLAST! I kept up cycling (touring and some mtb) for the next 5 years, then moved to TX and a job with a lot of travel. The folks I worked with ran after work, so eventually I started running. Signed up for my first half marathon in late 90s, and swore that was as far as I would ever go...hahaha...moved right into marathons and past into ultras, because I loved running trails. Even coached a marathon program, and ran an ultra or two every month for a few years. Got married at 39 and as part of trying to get pregnant, was told to limit running and exercise to 1 hour or less. (it worked, my son is 10!) Since he was born, I've done 1 half marathon, but that's it for distance running. Took up sprint triathlon when we moved to FL about 9 years ago. I had done a few in TX, too, but without training other than my regular running.

Then I started menopause and in December turned 50. It's been a rollercoaster, and I'm finally over the hump. I have done a tri or two each year or two, but I still can't get my groove back. My body has changed as a result of meno in sooooo many ways, and it depresses me. I've gained about 20lbs, my muscles have become stringier and less strong, my bones are weaker. I got a stress fracture in my foot last winter training for a half marathon. I have less stamina. It is very weird because I am used to my body just doing what I ask of it, maybe be a little sore if not trained up, but always being able to DO what I wanted. Now it's not quite the same. I have always had a booty and big legs, but they were strong. Now they are not, and I have added a belly, which is new. I have studied up on this, there are real chemical biological reasons - with less estrogen muscle mass is weird. Other stress hormones can take over, causing weight to hang on and go to new places. Metabolism drops by several hundred calories per day. I know a LOT but I don't know what to do about all this, and I find myself in the "F**K it all" place all too often.

All that negative stuff aside, I am really back to being ME emotionally after the past several years of being invaded by a crabby and depressed and anxious lady body snatcher. I feel happy with my life, but I am ready to get my body going and see what it's going to be like from here on in.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 1 son age 10 (my 40yr old project) & I turned 50 December 2011

CURRENT TRAINING: not much of anything, and very sporadic with what is being done. Mostly yoga a few times a week at best. Things are coming up tho', and it's time to get back into a program

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2011, I started out recovering from my stress fracture in my foot. I did Muddy Buddy April 9th (just for fun with hubby), trained with a tri group for Pineapple Man in June, and road the Bike MS 50 miles each day (slow, touring) in May. I did not complete the whole plan for Pineapple Man, but survived the race. The rest of the year was a waste. I was also in school full time plus work and never found a balance.

2012 RACES:
- First up is BikeMS (tour) April 21-22 I will do at least 50 miles both days, maybe 75 or 100 day one, if I can get ready.
- Next will be Pineapple Man sprint triathlon the first weekend of June.
- I will most likely do the Muddy Buddy race in April/May (whenever it is)
- There is a chance I will do the run leg of the FL HIM relay in May at the new location
- I'd like to do an Olympic tri in the fall. I've done one at that distance and it was a LOT of fun.

WEIGHTLOSS: My weight and body image are holding me back right now. I am a work in progress. I will NOT get bigger than this! I am 5'5" and up to 163lbs!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD TEAMMATE: I have a huge heart and really care about people. I've been involved in online communities since there was such a thing. I know a lot about cycling and running, and I'm not afraid of swimming, tho' it's my weakest sport. I know a fair bit about nutrition, but I don't walk my talk just now. I'm a geek, I love plans and tracking stuff and evaluating. I'm not *quite* as good at that as KathyG tho'! I REALLY want to participate fully in the group and gain the motivation, support, and even competition/accountability to meet my goals, and to inspire and help others meet theirs. I hope at least one of you is good at polite kicking, because sometimes I will need that.
2012-01-05 6:24 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2012-01-05 6:29 PM
2012-01-05 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3973739

Master
...at home in The ATL

Hi Kathy and all - I am in - I really look forward to it, even if that Fred guy is allowed in! Laughing

I am on the road with only a phone but I did not want to miss out - I will post a bio just as soon as I get in front of a real computer.

Cannot wait!!!

2012-01-05 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3973739

Champion
MA

Fred D - 2012-01-05 7:24 PM I want to join, but do not want to take someone else's place as I know this will be one of the hottest groups. Thoughts? ETA, I wanna join anyway, can I?

Fred yes of course you can join and I'd love to have you part of the group.

2012-01-05 8:26 PM

Expert
Portland, Oregon
NAME: kirih / Kiri

STORY: 2012 is the start of my 4th season of triathlon. I started training in August 2008 to lose weight, to reacquire my endurance cycling legs, and to simply get off my fat heiny. I've kept 40 pounds off for 3 full years and am eager to drop the last 30 this year, I was net loss/gain 0 for 2011. I have the see food eating disorder - you know, see food, eat it, so i'm working diligently at changing habits. 2011 was a training/racing bust for me. After a lackluster season and a brutal summer HIM, I lost my will to cycle, and that took S/R with it. After a DNF at mile 21+ of the Portland Marathon (first attempt at that distance) I vowed to get back on the wagon. I do not enjoy preventable failure! I immediately signed up for the Mary again and started from absolute ground zero with the running, by far my weakest discipline. I hope that a season of consistency and a couple long events will boost me into a first IM attempt for 2013 (CDA or AZ) - something I could never conceived of doing 4 years ago!

FAMILY STATUS: 41, Self-Employed Artist/Designer (Interactive/Animation), Live with my partner of 5 years and 2 cats, lots of bicycles and downhill skis.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently i'm working on run consistency. I started from scratch running 5 days a week - 1 mile per day in late November. Currently on my 3rd week of running 6x a week - doing a very slow progression BarryP type plan (don't plan on increasing more than 1 mile per week). I'm slow, never was a runner so running does not come easily. I've been doing casual trainer rides, and will start long ride training for ALC this weekend, and a modified Jorges plan on Monday the 9th - i'll be dialing back some of the intensity. I'll add swimming back in eventually (I was competitive swimmer when younger, so it comes back naturally pretty quickly). Should really throw a couple sessions of weight training and yoga in there too...

Goals for 2012 S: 2x a week - 200,000 yards, R: 6x a week ~700 miles, B: 10 miles avg per day - 3650 miles.

FWIW I typically use training plans from BT, and have never been coached, though if I do make an IM run for 2013 I will definitely consider it. I probably should have someone look at my running form one of these days too.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2011 I completed 8 races, DNF 1. 3 running (15k,Half,Mary), 1 OWS, 2 HIM, 2 Oly, 1 Sprint. I felt like this season was pretty bad due to lack of motivation, family issues, burn out, major lack of consistency, etc.

Bye bye 2011, may you RIP...

2012 RACES:  A-race for 2012 is a re-do of the Portland Marathon -> I am going to finish! Right now the schedule only has two other events on it, a 15k run in March, and Aids/LifeCycle 11 (Cycle 545 miles from SF to LA) in June. I'll definitely throw in some Olys and sprints in there, and may consider a mid-summer HIM (I love HIM). It's all about finding the bike and run mojo this year to carry me into an awesome base for a 2013 IM push.

WEIGHTLOSS: Lose 30 pounds. Eat less (crap), move more, change eating habits. I know what I have to do, now is the time to do it.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love chatting triathlon, helping out where I can, hearing everyone's tri'ing stories, and lending encouragement. Bring it on team!
2012-01-05 8:45 PM

Regular

Hello, I would like to join as well.  Will post a bio later.  Excited to be part of a virtual group!

Thanks 

Pam

2012-01-05 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3973988

Champion
MA
pedmpa - 2012-01-05 9:45 PM

Hello, I would like to join as well.  Will post a bio later.  Excited to be part of a virtual group!

Thanks 

Pam

Pam, welcome to our group. Post your bio when you have time...no hurry.

2012-01-05 10:38 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Kathy - thanks again for allowing me in your group - I have already enjoyed reading the posted bios and look forward to getting to know you all better.

Here is a bit about me:

NAME: Rusty - yep, that is right: a grown man with a dog's name. It's a long story; I might need to start another thread for me to tell it...

STORY: I come from a bike racing background - started racing mountain bikes when they were nothing more than beach cruisers with gears. I was really, really good at it, until the sport actually became popular - then, suddenly, I was not so good. I actually went backwards from most at the time and purchased a road bike to cross train for mountain biking - everyone else was crossing over from road to mountain - oh! the road bikes you could buy back then for next to nothing, simply because everyone quit buying them! Of course then LeMond went and won the Tour for his second time in rather dramatic fashion, and suddenly road cycling became slightly more popular - but it took a guy named Armstrong to come along later and make road bikes really expensive again. Fast forward a bit to 1991 - I had just graduated college and fell in with some strange folks that called themselves "triathletes." My roommate and I began racing dualthlons (called biathlons back then - no skis or rifles though) with this bunch of hooligans. Throughout that first summer we would train with them, which mostly consisted of hammering group rides, hammering runs, and then drinking beer on the boat while they swam to and fro. I still remember thinking how awesome it would be to be able to actually swim from one place to another. near the end of that first summer and late on a Friday evening one of my buddies called me up to let me know that another one of our friends would not be able to make it to a triathlon race they had all signed up for, and wanted to know if I was interested. I laughed, as the extent of my swimming up to that point was basically from the back of the boat to the end of the ski rope. However I was easily convinced that I could do it when he told me the swim would only be 400 yards. Had he told me it would be a quarter of a mile, I most likely would not be typing this right now. Needless to say I did the race, and was 12th to last out of the water. I know this because the 12 of us dog paddled the entire course together at a nice conversational pace. The conversation went something like this:

Me: "your first race?"
Them: "oh, yes!"
Me: "mine too!"

I crushed the bike, and did great on the run, and was totally hooked - both line AND sinker. I have not done a straight up bike race, and very few duathlons since. I will never forget the day when I could finally swim 1/2 a mile in less than 20 minutes. I celebrated the occasion by immediately going out and buying my first speedo, which back then was the de rigueur race suit. Ah, the good old days. Just thinking of Kenny Souza almost brings a tear to my eye...

Over the past 20 years I have raced regularly, often competitively, in all kinds of events: dus, tris, adventure races, mountain biking, stage races, marathons, ultras, and relays. Over the years I have been healthy, injured, overweight, under weight, wicked fast, depressingly slow, absolutely rabid for the sport, and completely burned out. I would describe myself now as rather balanced all around. On occasion I can still find myself out competing for the Weekly World Championship trophy, but am trying to be a lot smarter with my training and racing. no matter what, first and foremost, this sport hobby is FUN!

FAMILY STATUS: That roommate I mentioned earlier? we lived together for 6 years and eventually decided that we liked each other a little bit. We subsequently got married and have remained happily so for the last 15 years. My best friend is simply awesome. She races herself, so she completely gets this ridiculousness. Training and racing is a big part of our social life - not sure if we travel to race or race to travel. No kids, dogs, cats, or even a fish. A friend gave us a chia pet as a joke a couple of years ago, but it is still in its original packaging.

WORK: I am an educator and administrator. I am the currently the Chair of the Architecture Program at Auburn University, and the Associate director of the Rural Studio, our remote design/build program in West Alabama. I live in Atlanta, so I am on the road quite bit between it all.

CURRENT TRAINING: After being self-trained my whole racing life, I took on a coach last year, and have really enjoyed it. I like the accountability, and I have learned a tremendous amount. At 45 years old, I have found that the things that used to work no longer do, and it has been important for this old dog to learn a lot of new tricks in order to remain competitive.  The number one thing my coach has done is to actually slow me down a bit and have me train a good bit less, but a whole lot smarter. I am a self-professed technology wonk - but gave it all up a few years ago as I really began to feel a little bit of a slave to it all. I got to where a poorly functioning HRM could really wreck an otherwise great workout. In the three years prior to becoming coached I threw it all away and trained and raced totally RPE. Call it a deep cleansing. That said, as part of my coaching, I have found myself once again completely jacked in: HR/GPS/Power - at first I did not pay much attention to it, it really just provided information for my coach. As the year went on and with his guidance, I have come to be able to use the feedback myself as another set of data points marbled in with RPE.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: My big goal race last year was IM Lake Placid, which was an absolute blast. I really enjoy going long and tackling tougher races. I did A couple of other 1/2 IM's, and a handful of olympics and sprints for fun. I also did a couple of distance swim races which were a lot of fun. It is kind of weird, but I find it to be really cool to actually swim somewhere. This year is the middle year in a three year plan to see just how fast I can still get at the IM distance. If I can still have a breakout year at 45, I am aiming at 2013.

2012 RACES:
work-wise I will be slammed through the end of January, then a normal schedule through May 1st, then off through mid August. Current confirmed plans:
January: Polar Bear 5k
March: Georgia HM
May: Mountain Madness 1/2 IM
June: 5k OWS
From May to the end of July, I am all-in for IM Lake Placid - for those three months, I will do a couple of sprints and/or olympics, and will actually get to train like a pro thanks to my work schedule!

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: For years when faced with the inevitable question "Why do you train like you do?" my stock answer was always "so I can eat and drink whatever I want." At about 35 years old, that was revised to "so that I can drink whatever I want." At 45, even that is no longer the case. For the past two years, I have raced best at about 152~153 pounds. between October and January, it would be normal for me to plump up to about 170lbs, and all I had to do was give up the martini for about 6 weeks to get back to race weight. Last year that did not work. I know seem to have a problem with those "last 5 pounds." They are proving to be incredibly stubborn. This year I would actually really like to figure out what my ideal race weight might be. In the past year I have worked hard to increase my power, strength, and durability. Along with that has come increased muscle mass; I have actually gained weight while IM training.

LIMITERS: For me, my current limiter is not one of the stages of the race - it is really my overall strength and power.Last year I worked on elevating my endurance and establishing a solid base with some basic strength work thrown in. This year I have an increased focus on strength training, so I am actually not much concerned about my weight, but rather my ratio of body fat and power/kg.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: OK - I make a living as a professional mentor. As such I have learned that for better or worse we spend the bulk of our life knowing all the answers and simply trying to figure out what questions we need to ask to get to the answers that we want to hear. I am here to forget the answers that I know, and to learn new questions to ask. I am wide open. Also, I am pretty scientific, but usually defer to experience over lab tests. This is a long game. As such I have always been a regular logger - I have about 10 years of paper logs followed up 10 years of digital logs. In addition to understanding that what works for me may not work for you, these logs have allowed me to see that what works for me this year may not work for me next. I look forward to learning from all of you. My coach and I use TrainingPeaks to communicate, but I also post here as well if folks want to see - my logs are open. I speak with my coach several times a week, and we meet often. In my logs I usually include the short notes he includes when he builds my week, so they sometimes read kinda strange.

I am really honored to be a part of this team - I cannot wait to get started.

2012-01-06 5:20 AM

Pro
Nutmeg State

Kathy -- Thank you for letting me join!  Here's my bio:

Name: kaburns1214 (Kelly)

Story: I started participating in triathlon in 2006.  When I began Kathy G was one the people I always looked up to.  I was pretty consistent results wise for my first few years of training last year I had a bit of a break through season ending with an 11:26 at Ironman Florida.  My goal now is qualify for Kona.  As my coach puts it there's a possibility (its not likely but there's a possibility) I can do it a IM Texas in May.  At this point I've put in so much effort, I all in for trying to make it work. 

Family Status: I am married with a dog and three cats. 

Current Training: I am currently working with Coach Doug Maclean at QT2 Systems.  Prior to working with Doug I was self coached.  At the moment my training is focused on building aerobic base -- lots of consitent, fairly easy running and biking.  My "A" race for the year is Ironman Texas.  Over the next few months I'll be entering my build and peak phases in preparation for Texas. 

2011 Races: St. Anthony's Olympic, Ironman Lake Placid, Chesepeakeman Skipjack, Ironman Florida. 

Planned 2012 Races:  St. Anthony's, Ironman Texas, Ironman Florida

Weightloss: Body composition is a limiter for me and I struggle with getting to a good racing weight.  Right now I am trying improve my body composition before Ironman Texas.  I am meticulous about logging food, which helps, but its tough.

2012-01-06 6:37 AM

New user

York
Hi kathy,Have u got any space left? I am a brit, who is currently being blown away in the awful gales we have here.I completed my first sprint tri last year, as an attempt to lead my family into a new healthier lifestyle. I really loved the training, and was on cloud nine for days after finishing my tri, plus it had an immense effect on my family, my 9 year old girl completed a kids tri and my 7 year old boy wants to do one this year. Having spent years overweight i felt that i had finally found a sport that i would commit myself to in the long term. Unfortunately i was rear ended in july, and suffered bad whiplash. I have just been given the go ahead to start exercising again, and im planning on doing the couch to sprint programme. Needless to say i have a long road back to fitness, plus i have to admit to using chocolate as a crutch to get thru the last few months, which has resulted in that spare tyre returning again.I would love to be involved with all you guys over the pond, i may not be an expert on tris but im full of enthusiasm and would love to share the laughs and trials with you guys.CheersLorna
2012-01-06 8:51 AM

Master
Midcoast Maine
Hi Kathy - I would love to join - I'll post a bio as soon as I have a moment. Thanks!
2012-01-06 9:46 AM

Master
Midcoast Maine

NAME: itsallrelative_Maine/Jennifer

STORY: The well written version can be found in Alice's article "Triathlon: A Life Changer" - I'm the last story mentioned. I came from an academic background (read: unathletic) where physical activity was not discussed - much less done. After college, I played in the company softball team and rode in the 1997 CAR (the AIDS ride Kiri mentioned from San Francisco to Los Angeles in 7 days) and then had kids and started sitting on the couch. A lot. In 2008, a friend of mine was participating in a local sprint (the bike route passes within a mile of our house), so went out to cheer her on. I loved the energy and excitement on everyone's faces and decided I would give it a try. I have always had my eye (whether I spoke it out loud or not) on completing an iron-distance race and decided I would try the sprint year one, oly year two, HIM year three and IM year four.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married for 19 years with 9 and 11 year old girls, a geriatric cat and a 5 year old lab.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Due to a foot injury in June, I really pulled back the training through November. I have just started getting back on the wagon. Prior to the injury, I was doing two sports most days and loving it. I have every intention of continuing that schedule...Right now, I'm following BarryP's running plan (from SlowTwitch) of running 6 days a week, with 3 short runs, 2 medium runs and one long run. Because I was off running for a significant amount of time, I am currently running about 22 miles a week, with an eye to 50 miles a week by April. I am also following Jorge's winter cycling plan and doing whatever swimming I can (pool swimming is my least favorite so it seems to be the first to drop when there are scheduling conflicts). Entirely self-coached, but I am a voracious reader.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  I did the Great Bay Half Marathon in April, two legs of a relay for the Vermont City Marathon (which is a really fun race - I'd highly recommend it) and then was felled by an injury. I had planned on doing all the local tris (a sprint in July, an Oly in Sept) followed by the Pumpkinman HIM in September - but that was all halted once I developed debilitating pain in my right foot. It turns out that when my foot was run over 20 years ago (long story), it moved the cuboid bone out of place. After all the hammering of running for the last three years - my foot finally protested. Many trips to the PT later, I wear a pad on my foot while running to teach the bone to stay in the right place. It is working - and I am slowly weaning myself off the pad (at the PT's recommendation).

2012 RACES:  Because of the injury, I am terribly gun-shy about signing up for races this year - but am ever hopeful. I have told myself if I can cover the longest run distance on my plan (9 miles) by the end of January pain-free, I can go ahead and register for the following: Great Bay Half Marathon (a good friend and her husband are planning on running as well as a friend I made on BT), relay team for Vermont City Marathon, Patriot HIM in June, Lobster Ride and Roll 100 mile bike ride in June, sprint in July, local Oly over Labor Day, and possibly the new Rev3 HIM at the end of September.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I have lost about 25 pounds since I started, but have really stalled out. I'm a bit heavier than I would like, so I decided to follow the "Paleo for Athletes" plan for the first three months of 2012 and see if it makes any difference. I would love to lose another 20-25 pounds - but am not going to lose any sleep if I don't.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am very active on the discussion boards, I read a lot and love the camaraderie that a mentor group can provide. In addition - KathyG's posts have been a significant source of motivation for me in the past.

2012-01-06 10:37 AM

Champion
MA

Jennifer,

You had a tough year last year.  Your PT sounds wise and doing the BarryP running 6x a week is awesome. I worked up to 5 runs a week and saw huge difference in my running in my tris before my knee injury. Are you doing Jorge's bike plan using HR?

That ride you and Kiri have done along the West Coast sounds amazing.

What's the link to the Lobster ride in June as I may be interested in participating?

I hope it works out you come do Patriot as I will be there racing or volunteering as I do most years.

Your IM build up plan is similar to mine but I spent 2 years at the Oly distance after doing my first oly that was incredibly difficult for me.

Glad you are on board with the group!

What training do you have planned this weekend?

Are you doing any swimming in the off season?

2012-01-06 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3974304

Champion
MA

LornaP - 2012-01-06 7:37 AM Hi kathy,Have u got any space left? I am a brit, who is currently being blown away in the awful gales we have here.I completed my first sprint tri last year, as an attempt to lead my family into a new healthier lifestyle. I really loved the training, and was on cloud nine for days after finishing my tri, plus it had an immense effect on my family, my 9 year old girl completed a kids tri and my 7 year old boy wants to do one this year. Having spent years overweight i felt that i had finally found a sport that i would commit myself to in the long term. Unfortunately i was rear ended in july, and suffered bad whiplash. I have just been given the go ahead to start exercising again, and im planning on doing the couch to sprint programme. Needless to say i have a long road back to fitness, plus i have to admit to using chocolate as a crutch to get thru the last few months, which has resulted in that spare tyre returning again.I would love to be involved with all you guys over the pond, i may not be an expert on tris but im full of enthusiasm and would love to share the laughs and trials with you guys.CheersLorna

Lorna welcome to the group!

Are you starting the couch to sprint program now?

Looking forward to sharing your journey this year. It's amazing feeling to accomplish something big that you never thought you could do.....super job!

2012-01-06 10:41 AM

Pro
Nutmeg State

"Lobster Ride and Roll 100 mile bike ride in June"

Such a great event.  Beautiful (and hilly) course with a really good lobster roll at the end!

2012-01-06 10:42 AM

Champion
MA

Kelly,

Thanks for sharing your bio with the group!

I remember Cranberry 2006 when you passed me on the run and said "Are you KathyG"? Your progress in tris has been impressive.

You work hard and are consistent. Looking forward to sharing your journey with you this year!

Is your week schedule similar to last year so you do long run, long rides same day each week?

Are you adding more swimming to your training this year?

2012-01-06 10:49 AM

Champion
MA

Kiri,

Thanks for sharing in your introduction.

Your 2011 sounds tough and loss of interest in what you have done is tough. How is your passion for the sport right now? Motivation has it come back?

I struggled more with motivation issues last year than ever before. For me I think fear of losing what I loved put me in a bad place in my head. Thankfully I was able to get enough training in to participate in my A race but not in the way I would have liked to.

How are you doing your long rides...trainer or living in OR can you get them in outside?

When is the Portland Marathon?

Are you running 6x a week currently or building up to that?

Looking forward to having you in the group this year!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KathyG's 2012 Awesome Mentor Group-Full up Rss Feed  

of 35