General Discussion Triathlon Talk » low carb... will it hurt my ability to train? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-01-06 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3973324

User image

Subject: RE: low carb... will it hurt my ability to train?

Wow! Thank you for all your responses!

Just as more info, I am not trying to complete an Olympic or HIM, I am wanting to complete multiple sprints this year. I did one last year and a mini repeated trail triathlon. I am currently only running once a week or so, attending kickboxing class for an hour once a week, and I start dodgeball team in a couple weeks as well as spin class twice a week. I plan to add swimming back to this, this weekend. As I lose weight I want to slowly add carbs back, but do the very low carb to jumpstart this.  I really want to drop 35 to 40 pounds, which I had last season. I want to improve my times.

2012-01-07 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3975830

User image

Extreme Veteran

lew hollander (fastest old man in ironman)  is about using fat for fuel: http://www.lewhollander.com/pages/athlete.htm

itis important to have a well balanced diet of vitamins and minerals through vegetables as they help in turning fat into atp energy. It takes type to break into a keto diet, maybe up to 3 months, but once you adjust you should be fine

2012-01-07 12:40 PM

Like a previous poster said, different things work for different people.

I have been doing low carb (less than 30-40 grams) for two years now.  At the same time was about when I started training for a triathlon.  I find my diet does not effect my training.  I have lost 40 lbs and kept it off (yes, I am in ketosis most of the time) and have successfully trained and competed a few mini sprints and an Iron Girl.

Do what works for you.  Try training while in ketosis; give it two weeks.  If you are not seeing improvement in your performance, add in more vegetables.  The week before my race, I added whole grain bread to my diet.  Personally, I am happy with how I look and even happier with my race time.  I will never go back to a carb WOL.

Best of luck to you!!!

2012-01-07 6:35 PM

User image

Thank you all! I am losing weight and feel like I can keep this diet up. I will try this with training and see how it goes. Thanks again!
2012-01-08 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3977238

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have been doing heavy experimentation with carb and fat source... my ideal solution is 50% calories from fat 50% from carbs.

3 days ago: grilled pizza dough bread : cycle speed 16mph

yesterday: jaleapenos stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon : cycle speed 21mph

I have more results that are similar, not going to list them all... one thing that does hinder my performance is eating a meat heavy meal the night before, where my minute per mile can slow down by 2-3 minutes!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » low carb... will it hurt my ability to train? Rss Feed  

of 2